Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Indies v England - 1st test

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Monty does not try and get into the mind of the batsemen. he just trots up and delivers more or less the same ball six times.

This is so true, as someone said earlier Monty is thick (as a cricketing brain)

He doesn't think about the game or the batsman and have any individual plan for him, he just bowls the same line to every batsman. He never changes the field himself and always relies on the captain to do this for him.

For example Warne may have got smashed through the covers for 4 with a perfect textbook cover drive by the batsman, he would just move the field a bit, move slip a little finer and shout out to his captain as to why he was doing this so this would get in the batsman head "why he's done this" and play little mind games with him, so many people he got out like this, Cullinan is a great example of this.

Monty if slapped through the covers for 4, no field change, no chat, no ideas and the next ball in exactly the same spot.

Monty needs to think more about the other things to the art of bowling at the highest level rather than just putting the ball in the right area.

Watch him get a 5 for now! I hope!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
referral for the windies, decision changed from OUT to NOT OUT....personally I thought he did clip it, would be good to see what Hotspot syays

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Cricket is slowing getting killed with Twenty20 & Referalls.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
ps I think it's bollocks that you can refer caught behind decisions.

I think its better than seeing slips and Wickies ground balls or claim for balls that don't carry.
Wasn't it the Pakistani Wicketkeeper who claimed for a catch that grounded 6" in front of him ?

I quite like the idea of referrals, but they've got to be used correctly, in the same way they are in rugby union.

In this match so far, it seems that the third umpire is being asked 'is this person out'? I think that's wrong. It should be 'is there any reason that the on-field umpire's original decision is not right'? That would have seen Sarwan out yesterday, although I'm not watching today so I don't know about Gayle.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I quite like the idea of referrals, but they've got to be used correctly, in the same way they are in rugby union.

In this match so far, it seems that the third umpire is being asked 'is this person out'? I think that's wrong. It should be 'is there any reason that the on-field umpire's original decision is not right'? That would have seen Sarwan out yesterday, although I'm not watching today so I don't know about Gayle.

Gayles wasn't out, but you cannot blame the umpire as TBF it did look out. The rule is slowy going to push umpires out of the game isn't it?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

according to the commentators that is the way its supposed to work but the 3rd Umpire (Harper I think) used his interpretation wrongly.

Gayles wasn't out, but you cannot blame the umpire as TBF it did look out. The rule is slowy going to push umpires out of the game isn't it?

That is certainly a danger. As far as I'm aware though it's only being introduced into international cricket, rather than the domestic game.

I think the Gayle kind of thing is exactly what it should be used for; where the umpire effectively has no way of telling whether it is bat or body, but has to give a decision. Ultimately it should be ensuring that more decisions are correct.

Aggers bought up an interesting point on the first day; it should also reduce the ridiculous amount of over-appealing you see in Tests (especially in some places on the sub continent). A bowler can no longer be upset if an umpire continually turns down appeals; if you are that convinced (which they seldom are, of course. it's all part of an act), then appeal the decision.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Monty's got them worried now

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Gayles ton with 2 6s then a 3....THATS how you do it KP :angry:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Gayle is different class!!

vegster