Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I actually don't say that he would play differently with the players at Graham Potter's disposal - I actually don't think they are any better than what Chris had. I actually think the recruitment has been very average again.

Look at what Chris was given in terms of new recruits last year. None of them are regularly in the team except Dan Burn - Two of the Big Buys shipped out on Loan and the other hardly able to get in the match day squad.

The style of football is what the fans and the Chairman and other Hierarchy want - They could have said to Chris that they wanted him to play that way. That would have been a discussion to be had.

Chris has moved on he left a good legacy thats it and if Potter succeeds, he succeeds playing his way. The early signs are good but there are tough tests ahead and this difficult run of games will will see his style of play tested. If he comes though that then I think PL status will be preserved again this year. Lose 3 or 4 in a row then there will be a decision to make in terms of style of play v picking up points.

The problem Potter has is. He was appointed on a ''mandate'' to play a certain way. Would he have the courage to change if it stops yielding points for any length of time. To date he has not had that dilema because things are working OK.

why do you think that didn't happen?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If my aunt had a b*llocks she would be my uncle - a season isn't decided with one game - it is decided over the entire 38 games - Brighton stayed up and Cardiff went down.

And incidentally - in that game between Cardiff and Palace - Palace had over 60% of the possession - Cardiff's first goal was a very, very fortunate own goal and Palace were 3-1 when Cardiff scored in injury time to bring it back to 3-2. Cardiff had a few chances in the second half but Palace could have put six past them in that game. After losing to Cardiff in April, Brighton drew three of their next four games - Cardiff lost 3 in a row and going into the last game of the season Brighton were five points ahead. Over the season Brighton scored more goals and let in fewer goals than Cardiff. Over the final 20 games of the season Brighton took 19 points - Cardiff took 20 points - Over the last 12 games Brighton took 9 points - over the last 12 games Cardiff took 9 points (including 3 points in the last game when nothing was on the line). In fact - the form team in the relegation dogfight over that 12 game stretch were Southamption who won 4 and drew 3. Like I said - Hughton got the job done - Warnock didn't.

yeah, supercool, so what is your agenda?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It's fair enough to make the point that Hughton's tenure probably did run it's course and Bloom most likely made the right decision for the long term growth of the club.

What isn't fair enough is the sheer lack of class in words and tone on this thread for someone who showed nothing but class the whole time he was with us. It's exactly the same on the thread about Knocky and the one about Duffy. Absolutely no reason to be putting the boot in to these servants who have given us some of our finest moments since the late 70s.

Show some respect

there's no lack of respect that i've read for hughts, it's more a pushback against all the potter haters

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think anyone has said that - I will repeat what I have said before - I think that Chris Hughton is a very under-rated manager who has succeeded in getting every team he was manager of to punch above their weight. He has consistently proven that he can have success at the highest level (and for Brighton last season success was not getting relegated). I think Brighton made a mistake by sacking him - Potter has big shoes to fill (and if it is accurate that Bloom wanted to sack him after the Bournemouth game - it is likely Brighton would now be playing in the Championship). I think if he is given another opportunity he will prove himself again - and I would love to see what he could do with the Irish team - particularly with the batch of kids coming through the ranks in the next couple of years.

mere supposition chris

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
OOhh - you can't be a real Brighton fan unless you turn up at the Amex every home game :rolleyes:

I fondly remember watching Tony Grealish, Gary Howlett, Gerry Ryan and Michael Robinson play.

As for these days - I get very good meds whenever I want to watch a game.

so you fly into gatwick?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
OOhh - you can't be a real Brighton fan unless you turn up at the Amex every home game :rolleyes:

I fondly remember watching Tony Grealish, Gary Howlett, Gerry Ryan and Michael Robinson play.

As for these days - I get very good meds whenever I want to watch a game.

Funny how you only mention irish players!!!

I'll have to take your word for it although I remain suspicious on the basis you are an ardent Hughton fan who only joined this site after he became manager!

I'm not saying you have to turn up at every game to be a Brighton fan but it does help if you are going to pass judgement on our style of play, both this year and last. You didn't mention if you have actually seen any games this year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, I thought that doom had started before then, but assuming you are right, then the doom came after the stuttering, which meant that in simple terms, we became ever worse at home.

Agree. Think the approach to the Spurs home game was the writing on the wall and then the 3 very fortunate wins against Wolves, Newcastle and West Ham created a false sense of security.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used a word which reflects my feelings. I can't be more honest than that.

The way it happened was harsh, I agree, I think he deserved better than being sacked the day after the City game. It was a bomb shell even to those who felt it was time. He did have to go though imo.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
yeah, supercool, so what is your agenda?
Why do I have to have an agenda?

there's no lack of respect that i've read for hughts, it's more a pushback against all the potter haters

No - there is a clear lack of respect for Hughton from some quarters (and there are very few 'potter haters')

so you fly into gatwick?
Naw - hate flying - and its bad for the environment

Well you could say that saving Brighton from relegation to League 1 - then getting to the play-offs - then getting promotion - then keeping Brighton in the PL - then keeping Brighton in the PL again - was 'luck' - and maybe managers have to have an element of luck - but I think it was because he is a very good manager.

Funny how you only mention irish players!!!

I'll have to take your word for it although I remain suspicious on the basis you are an ardent Hughton fan who only joined this site after he became manager!

I'm not saying you have to turn up at every game to be a Brighton fan but it does help if you are going to pass judgement on our style of play, both this year and last. You didn't mention if you have actually seen any games this year.
1. I'm Irish - I am going to take more notice of Irish players - in fact my favourite Irish player to play for Brighton was John Byrne who I always thought was a very stylish footballer.
2. So if I had joined six months before instead of six months after what would you have said? - I joined when I joined - this is the same as the claim about going to games - because I didn't join the forum until when I did there is some conclusion to be drawn from it.
3. Watched most games last season - of the 13 this season I have seen 9 (missed Man City - Burnley - Newcastle - Man Utd)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The way it happened was harsh, I agree, I think he deserved better than being sacked the day after the City game. It was a bomb shell even to those who felt it was time. He did have to go though imo.

This was stated a lot in the wake of Hughton's dismissal, and it's a sentiment I simply don't understand. Given that Tony had made the decision to get rid (which I accept people may disagree with in itself), surely the ONLY appropriate day to do it was when it was done? When else would have been better? If you've made the decision he has to go, he has to go right then. Planning for the new season gets underway immediately and NOT firing him then would be unprofessional and negligent.

What is the alternative?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This was stated a lot in the wake of Hughton's dismissal, and it's a sentiment I simply don't understand. Given that Tony had made the decision to get rid (which I accept people may disagree with in itself), surely the ONLY appropriate day to do it was when it was done? When else would have been better? If you've made the decision he has to go, he has to go right then. Planning for the new season gets underway immediately and NOT firing him then would be unprofessional and negligent.

What is the alternative?

There isn’t one. I saw a few comments saying that it should have been announced before the Man City game so he could have said ‘goodbye’. If my boss tells me I’m fired, I’m ****ed if I’m going to a meeting a day or two later to say goodbye......you run the ****ing meeting, I’m going fishing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

What is the alternative?

I agree he had to go but I’d have preferred the dust to have settled on the season for a week or so before it happened. Would it have made that much difference? I thought he deserved a bit better but yes the end result would have been the same :shrug:

I have not made millions and neither am I a great businessman either though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree he had to go but I’d have preferred the dust to have settled on the season for a week or so before it happened. Would it have made that much difference? I thought he deserved a bit better but yes the end result would have been the same :shrug:

I have not made millions and neither am I a great businessman either though.
What if that week had cost Mr Bloom GPott?

CH was gone does it really matter when?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here