Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham Fan's letter to the board.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Er read Jevs reply.
Whilst the average West Ham fan will not earn more than the average BHA fan, WH can tap into the Dockland & City folk who earn considerably more.
Corporate hospitality is at a different level. The Albion (bless) are canvassing Directors of companies that by and large are local businesses. WH can/canvass international banks/stockbrokers etc - different league

You really haven't a clue do you ? Where do you think most of the people who work in the City and the West End live ? Or are all those people who commute into London during the rush hour just tourists ? I can assure you that Brighton is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live in and a damn site more expensive than most of Essex where so many West Ham fans come from. You might have noticed if you went to a game just how many London clubs have supporters in the Brighton and Sussex area.

Still like everything else you'll continue to make up 'fasts' that are as valid as your opinions.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Er read Jevs reply.
Whilst the average West Ham fan will not earn more than the average BHA fan, WH can tap into the Dockland & City folk who earn considerably more.
Corporate hospitality is at a different level. The Albion (bless) are canvassing Directors of companies that by and large are local businesses. WH can/canvass international banks/stockbrokers etc - different league

.. and recently they seem to done terribly well financially haven't there ?

That's one of the oddest posts I've ever read on here. Patronising the club for getting the support of local businesses.

We're just about to watch the team play in an 80 million pound stadium financed by a local multi-millionaire and finished to a spec that would many premiership grounds to shame.

.. and you're talking about it as if it's a corner shop ?

Very very weird.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It seems that West Ham are moving away from being a family club to being a modern club in the Chelsea model. They are going to be Corporate clubs who live off wealthy city people.

Sadly, it almost what you need to be to compete (or even stay) in the top flight. If Brighton get there, I'd like to hope we did not go down the same route but who knows?

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Your getting even more funnier as the night goes on. He said that he brought a season ticket a Lewes FC and my reply to that was he could of brought one at the albion.

I brought my season ticket to Withdean last season. I also brought my hat and scarf on cold days. I brought my mobile phone and wallet every time though.

You really haven't a clue do you ? Where do you think most of the people who work in the City and the West End live ? Or are all those people who commute into London during the rush hour just tourists ? I can assure you that Brighton is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live in and a damn site more expensive than most of Essex where so many West Ham fans come from. You might have noticed if you went to a game just how many London clubs have supporters in the Brighton and Sussex area.

Still like everything else you'll continue to make up 'fasts' that are as valid as your opinions.

Yes we all know Brighton is an expensive place to live & property prices are high. However earnings here are not particularly high. That's why WH are going for the yuppies in docklands & don't really give a stuff about the local working man. Not enough profit there.

Oct 2, 2008
I am a STH. My brother , who used to watch the Albion with me, went to live in Australia some years ago . He is now a STH with Melbourne Victory (long way to come back for the Albion home games !). Four years ago he came over and came with me to watch a match at Withdean. He picked one of the games of the season , we beat Leeds 2-1 - I seem to remember that Paul Reid got the first and Harty got the winner in the second half.

Anyway , his conclusion was that football , even at our level, had become very much a middle class sport. As he put it "even the chanting between the fans has become rather more poignant and witty rather than just plain abusive". Frankly, I certainly wouldn`t disagree with the first comment. Compared with the 70s and 80s he`s probably got it right with his second comment (although I did find it rather worrying that anyone could describe H Block as poignant and witty !).

Football , particularly in the Premiership, has moved a long way from its grass roots and whilst in some ways that is positive (the chanting for instance) I don`t see any prospect that it wants to find its way back. At the end of the day we all just have to accept, reluctantly perhaps, the new order or stop going. So much as I sympathise with the Hammers fan, he has a tough decision to make which mirrors a decision that fans up and down the country are having to make.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyway , his conclusion was that football , even at our level, had become very much a middle class sport. As he put it "even the chanting between the fans has become rather more poignant and witty rather than just plain abusive". Frankly, I certainly wouldn`t disagree with the first comment.

is this not a symptom of general change in society? the old classes boundries and definitions have blured, merged and disappeared. so theres an underclass, an upperclass (who arnt necessarily wealthy), but pretty much everyone inbetween is undefinable.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If he lives in Essex, why on earth has he purchased a ST for Lewes? What about his local team or is it a case of picking and choosing?

Did he not see this coming when he signed up for a top flight team? He appears to be whinging now that West Ham are not a force to be reckoned with and wasted ludicrous sums over the years. I woukld have been a bit put out long ago. He seems to be jumping on the bandwagon when the wheels have been rolling for much of a decade.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes we all know Brighton is an expensive place to live & property prices are high. However earnings here are not particularly high. That's why WH are going for the yuppies in docklands & don't really give a stuff about the local working man. Not enough profit there.

:facepalm:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ridiculous prices but the board's argument would be that cheap tickets in the Carling Cup last season (£15) brought in the riff-raff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here