Were we better off 40 years ago?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The Goldstone Ground or Falmer????????

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shopping had it's challenges back then. No Sunday opening, early closing in the evening and lunch time closing in small town s and villages. But service was generally better.

Mmmmmm. I cannot think why my eyes paused on these particular words.

As for music, look a little further, and beyond the top 40, and you'll find heaps of stuff. I've got some excellent and recent stuff on my CD player right now.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Weekly WageHC Deb 01 July 1971 vol 820 c562 562
§ 10. Mr. J. H. Osborn asked the Secretary of State for Employment what is now the average weekly wage for men and women; and what has been the increase in each case over the past six,. 12, and 18 months.

§ The Minister of State, Department of Employment (Mr. Paul Bryan) In October, 1970, the average weekly earnings of full-time manual men were £28.05, which was an increase of 13 per cent. over the previous 12 months and 17.3 per cent. over the previous 18 months. The corresponding figures for women were £13.99, 15.5 per cent. and 19.3 per cent. respectively.

In many ways we were better off.

You could say what you like without the PC brigade getting on their high horse.
You could get served in pubs without stupid ID checks for under 25s.
Kids could get to football, and into the match for "pocket money" prices.
There was no pathetic Human Rights Act.
The Labour party had not completely f***ed the Country.
People were proud to be British without being accused of being Nazis.

Obviously, there are a great number of things that are better now as well.

Racism was becoming a source of ridicule, comedic. Alf Garnett seems shocking with the free use of racist epithets but there were black actors playing in the same show. Playing for laughs just the same.
Skinheads thought everyone should be like them, or get a kicking.
Without id, I was drinking and smoking at 15, and thought it was a bit odd that some didn't like sharing second hand smoke. So ingrained and indoctrinated into our world were cigarettes that a pall of smoke lay at head height in every pub.
Football was affordable for anyone going out to work, but that hasn't changed. If a young person does a part-time job they can get into football now too. Basically, 2 hours of work should equal entry into a league game imo.
With human rights, exploitation is at least being examined and reduced. I don't want us to compete with sweatshop businesses for prices - competition in business ought to be on a level field in that respect. A working woman should make the same as a man doing the same job.
The political parties would argue that they weren't screwing the country and the workers like unions were. The unions would argue that the political parties were screwing the workers. Either way, the country was getting screwed. People complained then ...perhaps even more than now.

Last edited:

My father said to me around 40 years ago; "you should stay at a job, be loyal to one company and work your way up"

Phew! No thanks - first choice is to work for myself, and if not that, then have a personal skill that will be desired by many companies - get headhunted and move up the financial ladder by going to the highest bidder or best compensating company. Do not sell 8 of the best hours of your day to be unhappy or discomforted. I will not have an employer dangling my retirement 'destiny' over me because I'm only due their pension if I toe their lines for years. That is tantamount to slavery.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think people complain more now for the very simple reason that they have far greater access to information. Society is no better or worse it's just moved on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something I do miss are those white coated blokes who used to cruise the pubs with wicker baskets selling rubber seafood.

Difficult to say if music is better or worse...probably about the same. Although I do believe that the democratisation of music has led to a lot of poor and mediocre stuff floating around. Pretty much anyone with a computer can make and sell music these days. One good thing about record companies was that they provided some quality control and filtered out a lot of rubbish. If you want an example of how the democratisation of the arts has led to a lot of shoddy work getting attention just pop along to one of the Brighton Artists Open Houses.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Something I do miss are those white coated blokes who used to cruise the pubs with wicker baskets selling rubber seafood.

Difficult to say if music is better or worse...probably about the same. Although I do believe that the democratisation of music has led to a lot of poor and mediocre stuff floating around. Pretty much anyone with a computer can make and sell music these days. One good thing about record companies was that they provided some quality control and filtered out a lot of rubbish. If you want an example of how the democratisation of the arts has led to a lot of shoddy work getting attention just pop along to one of the Brighton Artists Open Houses.

Just under forty years ago we had punk, people then could hardly play any instrument and still have a hit. I really don't like much music from the 50s and 60s yet I was born in the former.

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
40 Years ago had its good points.....Milk delivered to door. A reliable postal servive. Roads less congested.You could ring someone up and get answered by a human instead of "Press2"...you now have four options...end up speaking to someone in India.You could tell jokes without someone taking umbrage. Much less political correctness. Petrol and football were cheap.There were plenty of jobs.Nurses were far more caring and did'nt have to reach targets,they were there to care for the patient and did so. There were far fewer faceless unelected committees giving out diktats..."You can'trt do this...can't do that. You could make an appointment with your GP and see him that day instead of next week sometime. Most food was homegrown and fresh,not wrapped up in plastic for a couple of days.Shopkeepers were more attentive, "Can I help you sir!" instead of the usual grunt. Yes there are better things about todays living,as mentioned dentistry.surgical and medical advances,computers and television,cars (dont' have to change the oil after 1000 miles).World communications like Skype there's others as well,there is good and bad points for both,all in all,we have to accept life as it is and try and move on.

Bring back Coffee ice cream!

Ummmm. You still have milk delivered to the door... and they still do coffee ice cream at morroccos. Go to a greengrocers if you want friendly service, the man at the top of my road is lovely and throws in a few bananas - non of which are packaged in plastic by the way.

Just becuase you dont find these things for yourself doesnt mean they arent still there. If you want them to stay, support them with your business rather than moaning.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
On his anti-immigrant rant Goldstone says "Surely most people on here who are old enough to remember will agree that Britain was a much nicer place to live 40 years ago ..."

Is that true? While there are definitely things I miss about the UK in 1971 (local shops, proper cinemas, a 17-team County Championship, reasonably priced football and a competitive Div 1 etc) the good far outweighs the bad.

Education - Kids leave schools far better educated. In 1971, 80% of kids went to secondary moderns and were treated like second-class citizens, large numbers left with no qualifications. Illiteracy levels were higher than than they are today
I'm sure there other things to mention but the general impression is that things have got a lot better over the last 40 years. Anyone but Goldstone disagree?

Most of your points are correct IMHO but this certainly isn't. witness the dumbing down on TV of everything to do with education from "University Challenge" downwards.

This is why our kids will find it very hard to compete in a world market with countries like India and China - and even in Africa - where education standards are targetted to give kids REAL jobs, not to encourage them to believe they can all win "X Factor" or failing that, the National Lottery.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Weekly WageHC Deb 01 July 1971 vol 820 c562 562
§ 10. Mr. J. H. Osborn asked the Secretary of State for Employment what is now the average weekly wage for men and women; and what has been the increase in each case over the past six,. 12, and 18 months.

§ The Minister of State, Department of Employment (Mr. Paul Bryan) In October, 1970, the average weekly earnings of full-time manual men were £28.05, which was an increase of 13 per cent. over the previous 12 months and 17.3 per cent. over the previous 18 months. The corresponding figures for women were £13.99, 15.5 per cent. and 19.3 per cent. respectively.

I started out in 1968 (age 19) at £725 a year.

By 1976 I had gone up briefly (sadly) to £11,000+ - a lot of moola in those days.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Unlike the three day week and the power cuts - in contrast I remember them vividly.

This. I can always remember having to go to bed in the living room with the rest of the family and a couple of candles in jars and being jolted awake when the power came back on because nobody ever remembered to turn the TV set off when the power went out :)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
oh how i remember those saturday mornings when i was about 6 or 7 , mum and dad at work , big brother supposed to be looking after me but upstairs , noisily banging his attractive welsh tart jillian , partially incinerating the kitchen making myself the mother of all bacon sandwiches ( bacon doesn't taste the same these days) stretching out on the sofa like little lord fontleroy, fantasising over maggie philbin's cleavage (and later on sally james). legging it across the road in my blue dressing gown to the sweet shop after rifling my mum's spare coat for change , mintolas , curly wurlies , texans, walnut whips , outer spacers (pickled onion flavoured , the ones that used to make you wince) jim the butcher jokingly waving his razor sharp cleaver at me from the shop doorway"you wait till i tell your dad you little bastard " he would joyfully shout after me. coming back through the front door to see jillians massive ginger minge disappearing back up the stairs ( minge , there is no minge any more !! not that i'm complaining , i personally f***ing despise the stuff ) i would hang around at the bottom of the stairs hoping for another eyeful only to be moved along by a shoe or boot lovingly hurled down the stairs by my brother..........why don't you turn off your tv set and go and do something more interesting instead....??? only in the school holidays though. every now and then one of the junkies above the launderette would od and an ambulance would come and bring them round and take them away on a stretcher whilst being abused to f*** as the narcan kicked in , foreign student causing a stir by sunbathing , topless on worthing beach..........so many happy memories

it is an interesting fact that the youth suicide figures in australia and america are alarmingly high.......and this , in what are the two most prosperous countries on the planet. less is definitely more and i think people just generally have too much of everthing these days.....!!!

Enjoyed your post Sydney!

On the sweet front-Spangles, chocolate cigarettes, Toffos.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
and then settling down to watch Grandstand - horse racing, ice skating, scrambling (remember Vic Eastwood and John Banks), gymnastics, table tennis and of course wrestling - Jackie Pallo and Mick McManus!

Pedant alert! Grandstand-Wrestling- I dont think so! You would have had to have got off the sofa, changed channel on the set (no remote control), and watch World of Sport!!

Mark Rollerball Rocko, Kendo Nagasaki, Johnny Saint!!

Greeting grapple fans!!

And after that it would have been Wonder Woman or The Six Million Dollar Man!!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Pedant alert! Grandstand-Wrestling- I dont think so! You would have had to have got off the sofa, changed channel on the set (no remote control), and watch World of Sport!!

Mark Rollerball Rocko, Kendo Nagasaki, Johnny Saint!!

Greeting grapple fans!!

And after that it would have been Wonder Woman or The Six Million Dollar Man!!

And after the Wrestling.... Cliff Diving from Acupulco. When I was 9 I actually thought what they showed on World of Sport was real sport. :wrong:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It was safer back then for kids to be out on their own and kids actually went out an played together rather than sat in front of a tv screen playing computer games. Less obesity as a result.

That said things are so much better from a technology stand point and as a computer engineer who knows what I would have been doing if it was 40 years earlier.

40 years ago you'd have had contracts and come to the Amex to mend our workstations and HEWGE computer!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I rather like it when in France and all is closed on a Sunday

It's closed on Sundays here in Greece as well. People go out for the day with their families or clog up the beaches. It really does feel like a weekend, and not just another day.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
40 years ago people weren't up to the neck in debts , if you wanted a mortgage you had to see the bank manager and hope he would approve it. Everyone was paid in cash so no chance to bang it on the plastic. If you needed to purchase an expensive item and didn't have the cash it could be put on hire purchase but it wasn't interest free for a year plus a 12 months payments holiday. There weren't so many obese people because you ate less and burnt off the calories either working or walking about more. There was less stress , people still had worries on their mind but not to the extent of today.

I wasn't paid in cash. My £45 a month was paid into my bank. But, I had an Access card, with which I bought my Sony stereo system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here