Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We're gay and we're beating you....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just think of the whispers on the pitch though, all the oppo will start winding the Albion players up "Your fans say you're gay" etc. And it will stir their players up in the (alleged) homophobic world of the dressing-room.

I know people think footballers are thick, but do you really believe they're that thick? Chants like these raise us above the homophobic flotsam we encounter everywhere we go, not just as fans of Albion but as people of Brighton. Keep 'em coming!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Just think of the whispers on the pitch though, all the oppo will start winding the Albion players up "Your fans say you're gay" etc. And it will stir their players up in the (alleged) homophobic world of the dressing-room.

Don't forget how many points you have lost recently as the other clubs come back from behind...or is that wish-fulfillment??:rolleyes:

Do you really believe that?

Whispers on the pitch :facepalm:

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Anyone complaining about us and our 'Gay' chants really needs to take a long look at themselves and determine weather travelling to away games is right for them. It's BANTER for Christ sake and 9 times out of 10 it makes the opposition fans crease up. Which is rare in football chants. Let's keep up the good work :)

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
They are funny chants and all and I think it's great to see the home fans faces when we do sing them.

But it wasn't too long ago people were complaining about the amount of homophobic chanting that does go on against us. Surely singing these songs is just promoting that and kind of treads on any case we might have to complain about it in future. Probably way off but just got me thinking.

Like Cardiff fans singing sheep shagger songs when they score but wasn't it your fans who were accused of racism? Double standards I think.

Oct 25, 2003
anyway, it's just us replying to the incredibly boring gay chants that we get sung at us........by replying in the way we do it completely nullifies any gay chants.......how can you take the piss out of someone for something that they don't give a shit about?!

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
if we wanted to we could report basically every other club in the league for homophobic chanting

What I meant about my comment is how can Brighton be accused of 'racism' (that old chestnut I know about the Welsh not being a race per se) but the fact that they sing it about themselves then complaints are made when another set of fans say the same thing?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Including ourselves for singing 1-0 to the batty boys etc etc?

The problem for you atm is that it isn't staying at 1-0, is it? I would have thought any chanting which basically reinforces a stereotype which may be deemed illegal but (as you hear at every match) is still considered a term of detriment, weakness and a way to upset the TEAM (not the supporters) is not going to help you.

Of course you could kill the whole thing for good foor publicly declaring that Mr X (or Mr X-X..) of your team IS actually gay. That WOULD be a first in English football. Fashanu was "outed" by the "Sun" but it was not his choice.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The problem for you atm is that it isn't staying at 1-0, is it? I would have thought any chanting which basically reinforces a stereotype which may be deemed illegal but (as you hear at every match) is still considered a term of detriment, weakness and a way to upset the TEAM (not the supporters) is not going to help you.

Of course you could kill the whole thing for good foor publicly declaring that Mr X (or Mr X-X..) of your team IS actually gay. That WOULD be a first in English football. Fashanu was "outed" by the "Sun" but it was not his choice.
I don't think it upsets the team, it does however give us Brighton fans a huge laugh at the expense of the unoriginal, predictable fans that we encounter at EVERY match.

As for ours, yours or any teams players sexuality, wtf has that got to do with football?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't think it upsets the team, it does however give us Brighton fans a huge laugh at the expense of the unoriginal, predictable fans that we encounter at EVERY match.

As for ours, yours or any teams players sexuality, wtf has that got to do with football?

OOhh you seem to be a bit touchy there. If it "doesn't have anything to do with football" why did this thread ever get started in the first place?

Albion have got a big squad now, any other employer in Brighton would be able to (have to probably) quote just how they satisfy LGBT requirements. How about telling us how many of your squad qualify for that then?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
OOhh you seem to be a bit touchy there. If it "doesn't have anything to do with football" why did this thread ever get started in the first place?

Albion have got a big squad now, any other employer in Brighton would be able to (have to probably) quote just how they satisfy LGBT requirements. How about telling us how many of your squad qualify for that then?
It got started by a Millwall fan applauding the efforts of us Brighton fans in taking the piss out of people like you.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It got started by a Millwall fan applauding the efforts of us Brighton fans in taking the piss out of people like you.

Although he has only been learning English for a matter of weeks, lack of communication with his team-mates is not the issue. "On the pitch there's no problem. The football words are easy to learn. Players are the same everywhere, always joking. Sometimes I understand the jokes, sometimes not."

I'll leave it to you to explain to Vicente whiy his own supporters call him a "malecon" then....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

is GullysCats a Millwall supporter? I just assumed he was one of your gay supporters relieved that he wasn't being singled out. Safety in numbers eh?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Including ourselves for singing 1-0 to the batty boys etc etc?
is it possible to do homophobic abuse on yourself?!
Yes, because basically most of the fans singing it are not gay, and it could be seen as abuse to those people that are gay, whichever team they support. Personally I hope no one is offended, and the banter can continue. But if you were/are a gay fan (of either team) and find it offensive when our fans sing '1 nil to the batty boys', then it's offensive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just assumed he was one of your gay supporters relieved that he wasn't being singled out. Safety in numbers eh?
What's your point Danny?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
[MENTION=13666]Danny-Boy[/MENTION] I really dont get where you are coming from. Are you suggesting that our Spanish and Catalans object to homosexulaity more than English? and if so is that not rascist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here