Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're as good as Wolves

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Yes it's true, current form (7 points from 5 games) would have put us where Wolves are in the table after 44 games.

This purple patch coincides with the arrival of Gifton Noel Williams, not the great "white" hope necessarily, but surely an indicator that had we acted sooner to bring in somebody half reasonable up front that we could have at least swapped places with Sheffield Wednesday.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately this is not hindsight, as it was all patently obvious months ago. We are now paying a huge financial penalty for having adopted a corner shop mentallity in the transfer market.

Except that if we could have got GNW in January, or a player of similar quality, we obviously would have. Such a player was not available and willing to come here.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Bromley shrimp said:
Yes it's true, current form (7 points from 5 games) would have put us where Wolves are in the table after 44 games.

This purple patch coincides with the arrival of Gifton Noel Williams, not the great "white" hope necessarily, but surely an indicator that had we acted sooner to bring in somebody half reasonable up front that we could have at least swapped places with Sheffield Wednesday.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately this is not hindsight, as it was all patently obvious months ago. We are now paying a huge financial penalty for having adopted a corner shop mentallity in the transfer market.

It's been patently obvious to everyone at the club for months, too. Sadly, the quality centre forward shop was out of stock and we had to wait for the new shipment.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Re: Re: We're as good as Wolves

Juan Albion said:
It's been patently obvious to everyone at the club for months, too. Sadly, the quality centre forward shop was out of stock and we had to wait for the new shipment.

That's not true, it's just that McGhee didn't ask to see the 'under the counter' stock

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Check the all time record between the clubs. We'll win it easily.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Bromley shrimp said:

f*** me you're a genius. I wonder why the club didn't think of that. I can't believe Mcghee never even mentioned that we could do with an extra player or two.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Apologies in advance, but as a supporter of a club who has played both Brighton and Wolves twice this season, and as a fan who has seen all four games, I can state quite categorically that Brighton are not as good as Wolves.

Not at all, in fact.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
At least Glenda 'you better check your fact and come back to me then' Hoddle isn't our manager. What does that say? Complete di... what?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Apologies in advance, but as a supporter of a club who has played both Brighton and Wolves twice this season, and as a fan who has seen all four games, I can state quite categorically that Brighton are not as good as Wolves.

Not at all, in fact.

If you just go back and read his post again you will realise that he was actually talking out of his arse so you are quite correct in your assessment. We are in a different league to Wolves. Literally as of next season.

I can state quite categorically that Brighton are not as good as Wolves.

What about the Wolves riot police, I reckon they are not as good as the Brighton riot police.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bromley shrimp said:
Our defeat by Wednesday shows that the problem is deeper than having a reasonable striker. Wednesday got players into the box and pushed forward.
We stuck to the usual McGhee strategy of rigid 4-4-2 which isolates the two strikers and we didn't push players forward and attack in numbers.
Wednesday needed a draw. We needed a win. We have scored 2 goals in our last 7 home games.
The 4-4-2 strait-jacket might work away but it doesn't work at home. Remember these tactics nearly allowed a very ordinary Swindon side to beat us in the play-off semi.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill

mona said:
Remember these tactics nearly allowed a very ordinary Swindon side to beat us in the play-off semi.

To be fair i thought swindon were a better side than us that season....but we got promoted so who cares :clap2:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Jesus, are some people still blaming McGhee for almost losing to Swindon?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
What about the Wolves riot police, I reckon they are not as good as the Brighton riot police.

The WMP riot police are a right handful. We're expecting more fun and games with them next Sunday afternoon.

Does Brighton actually have any riot police? I've visited the place on numerous occasions but I can't recall ever having seen any. The police at the Withdean Stadium were very friendly again this year, and there were no problems at all. Funny, that.

mona said:
Our defeat by Wednesday shows that the problem is deeper than having a reasonable striker. Wednesday got players into the box and pushed forward.
We stuck to the usual McGhee strategy of rigid 4-4-2 which isolates the two strikers and we didn't push players forward and attack in numbers.
Wednesday needed a draw. We needed a win. We have scored 2 goals in our last 7 home games.
The 4-4-2 strait-jacket might work away but it doesn't work at home. Remember these tactics nearly allowed a very ordinary Swindon side to beat us in the play-off semi.

Sorry, with Parkin, Mooney up front and Igoe running their midfield, that was not an ordinary Swindon side, they were actually a better attacking unit than us, but we edged them because we were better organised side and defended better across the season. That was down to McGhee.

Of course the problems against Sturrock's lot ran deeper than who we play up front. Their front two and wide players ran us ragged. They were quicker, better players than we have. Sometimes you just can't beat a beater team, and that was this occasion, Sturrock had strengthened appreciably since we played them at Sheffield. It's not as simple as playing 3 up front, we saw that in the previous home game at Southampton. Although I'm sure if McGhee played the game again, he would want quicker players on the flank than Reid and Mayo to track their guys, but we were not overflowing with options. Carole and Frutos did slightly better in the second half, but they are not players renowned for their defensive contribution.

Last edited:

The WMP riot police are a right handful. We're expecting more fun and games with them next Sunday afternoon.

Does Brighton actually have any riot police? I've visited the place on numerous occasions but I can't recall ever having seen any. The police at the Withdean Stadium were very friendly again this year, and there were no problems at all. Funny, that.

Fair enough, I will definitely concede your expertise on these matters at least :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: We're as good as Wolves

mona said:
That is why Parkin is the only one of their players who has moved up a division I suppose.

Come on, Igoe and Mooney are players who've played at a decent level - the only reason why they're not there now is age.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Re: Re: Re: Re: We're as good as Wolves

mona said:
That is why Parkin is the only one of their players who has moved up a division I suppose.

Harding stayed in the same division (granted to a 'bigger' club), Virgo went to Scotlandto warm the bench, Leon Knight dropped down a division and Danny Cullip is god knows where.

We didn't exactly set the world alight with big transfers out either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here