Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"were all in this together" "

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
First Mirror front page I have been embarrassed about in at least three years today. Bloke goes on holiday. Bloke with inherited wealth yeah, but whose actual public-purse salary is probably way below the (albeit private-purse) salary of at least a dozen Trinity Mirror execs, including the editor of the Mirror.

My thoughts exactly. Normally a big fan of the Mirror, but its a cheap predictable shot and slightly pathetic.

Essentials? You mean like Food, clothes, gas, electricity?

Prat!

Food - no.
Clothes - yes, not on children's clothes I believe.
Gas/Electricity - yes but at the lower rate of 5% I believe.
Petrol - yes, poor people may need this to get to work.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wouldn't it be nice if simonsimon posted about something other than schoolboy politics, just once?

In the meantime, probably worth thinking about two things:
1) Labour were in charge for 13 years. Why was this tax on the poor never reduced in favour of an income tax hike?
2) I'm all for controlled spending but maybe we are now paying for Labour's gutless decision to follow the US into an illegal war.

Remind me why Labour deserve my vote again? I'm left of centre if anything but see little reason to listen to a Rik character like you.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's find someone well off going on holiday somewehere nice, and run it as a page lead for 30 years in a row, twice a year. Pathetic, lazy journalism.

I'm no fan of Osbourne, and I hope they find something better than this on the little weasel. But this is ludicrous.

Let's find someone well off going on holiday somewehere nice, and run it as a page lead for 30 years in a row, twice a year. Pathetic, lazy journalism.

I'm no fan of Osbourne, and I hope they find something better than this on the little weasel. But this is ludicrous.

Spot on. Probably quite happy to run a pic. of members of the Royal Family skiing with the an appropriately fawning caption.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Wouldn't it be nice if simonsimon posted about something other than schoolboy politics, just once?

In the meantime, probably worth thinking about two things:
1) Labour were in charge for 13 years. Why was this tax on the poor never reduced in favour of an income tax hike?
2) I'm all for controlled spending but maybe we are now paying for Labour's gutless decision to follow the US into an illegal war.
Remind me why Labour deserve my vote again? I'm left of centre if anything but see little reason to listen to a Rik character like you.

I agree with you Simster, but the Tory's/ConDems would've done exactly the same thing. I certainly don't recall waves of dissent coming from the opposition benches when Blair was cosying-up with General George - just prior to bombing the f*** out of Bahgdad.

Never. Trust. A. Politician.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I still don't really know what "we're all in this together" really means. Sounds like PR rubbish to me. If cuddly Dave lost half of his fortune, he'd still be a multi-multi millionaire and no financial worries. An average worker losing 5% of their income could be in real bother. It means nothing in real terms.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’ve got nothing against luxury holidays but it is politically stupid to go on
a £10,000 holiday during the present monetary crisis.

‘We’re all in this together’ said George Osborne .At least he could have spent his cash in the UK economy rather than in Switzerland.

Tomorrow VAT goes up by 2.5% and is likely to affect the poorest in society greatest.

Insensitive behaviour like his may cause the Tory lead Government to go downhill very fast. And what's more he’s still practicing on the nursery slopes.

So if you were to ever become rich through a lottery win would you make sure you didn't spend it on a luxury holiday ? Idiot. We'll ignore all the luxury holidays Blair had while in post.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Prat!

I think you need to update your knowledge on what VAT is charged on.

I don't think he does. What essential food stuffs have VAT on them ? Of that list above the only item likely to have an affect is clothing and then only for adults. Even THEN it will make an item selling for £11.75 become £12 and the likelihood is that most retailers will take some of the hit if not all.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with you Simster, but the Tory's/ConDems would've done exactly the same thing. I certainly don't recall waves of dissent coming from the opposition benches when Blair was cosying-up with General George - just prior to bombing the f*** out of Bahgdad.

Never. Trust. A. Politician.
And I agree with you TT, but what gets me is that simonsimon sounds like Rik out of The Young Ones in virtually every post, yet he'd have us believe that Labour are looking after the interests of the poor, when in reality they're not massively different. It's laughable that he's moaning about a VAT rise when at any point in the past 13 years, Labour could have reduced the VAT rate in the good times and altered the taxation system to something more fair. The gap between rich and poor continued to rise in that time.

But no, it was far more important to have a class war over that vital issue that has shaped our lives forever: fox hunting.
And spend money we haven't got by going to war illegally, obviously.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Prat!
Food - no. Pratt.
Clothes - yes, not on children's clothes. But if you are poor, you surely would only buy cheap clothes, so I woulde imaghine the stores that sell cheap clothes would absorb the 10-20p increase. Pratt.
Gas/Electricity - yes but at the lower rate of 5%. Agreed shouldnt be charged on this.
Petrol - yes, poor people may need this to get to work. But then I wouldn't class someone in a postion to buy petrol as poor, unless they are buying it to make a petrol bomb!! If you are poor then surely a car is out of reach, unless you're one of these that dont pay for insurance, road tax, or MOTs. If your genually poor then wouldnt you be using public transport to lower your costs?

So VAT rise effects a lot of people, but its not going to hit the poor the hardest, its going to hit everyone. But saying its going to hit the poor hardest is just typical left wing dribble, spued up by people that suddenly forgot who put the country this deep into shit.

So before you go round calling people Prats, try not to act like a cun* yourself.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
"we're all in this together" actually means "we're f***ing poor people right in the eye socket together"

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
We are all in it together, and we all know what we're in, and that some of us are in it deeper than others.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So VAT rise effects a lot of people, but its not going to hit the poor the hardest, its going to hit everyone. But saying its going to hit the poor hardest is just typical left wing dribble, spued up by people that suddenly forgot who put the country this deep into shit.

Some retail items may be not be affected (not all food is Zero Rated BTW), but the cost of getting them to you will be. VAT on fuel is increasing, for example. That will eventually be passed on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
God, dont some people pick holes in anything. Maybe he's going abroad for his holiday as Britain is a big shithole after Labour f***ed the econemy up the arse.

Why would Vat effect the poorest the greatest. Most essentials are VAT free so if your poor you won't be able to afford most things that are VAT charagable.

Some people are richer than others, and therefore spend more money than other. f***ing GET OVER IT!

Torys lead wont go downhill, not all the time the fuckwits that are the opposition are lead by a fuckwit. Never forget which bunch of wankers put this country in the position its in today

yep the banks...............................never to be forgotten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here