Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley stadium R.I.P

Jan 30, 2008
What are you talking about? "the last game against Scotland at the old Wembley..." was the Euro Qualifier when we lost 1-0 on the night but went through, in November 1999. I was there too, and a knock out game against the Sweaties cannot be remotely compared to a meaningless friendly against the Dutch.
i should have said the home international game ,FFS don't get your knickers in a twist .you obviously weren't at this one , not an occasion for the faint hearted believe me :angry:

Jan 30, 2008
It was devoid of any atmosphere, and where I was everyone seemed more intent on having paper aeroplane races than watching the game.
noticed some england fans got up and were taking photos of robben after he scored .......... really:shrug:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
i should have said the home international game ,FFS don't get your knickers in a twist .you obviously weren't at this one , not an occasion for the faint hearted believe me :angry:

Apols, forgot I was addressing the keyboard top boy!

So you were talking about the 1984 match. Out of interest, how old were you then? In any event, again ludicrous to compare a 1984 match against the Sweaties when hooliganism was rife, with a meaningless friendly against a country we have never had a grudge with in 2012.

You may as well compare the Chelsea match of 84 at the Goldstone, with the pre season friendly against Eastbourne last July!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Probelm is in the good old days anybody could just turn up (with the sole exception of the FA cup final) pay on the gate and get in, stand in the terraces, have a laugh and a sing song.

Nowadays the majority who go are there are sanatised plastic fans who are only there to listen to the band and record/photograph somebody taking a corner/throw in. Surprised there is no goal music yet.

What surprised me most was when the england player was being carried off on a stretcher there were more dutch fans standing clapping their hands than there were englsih fans - no respect.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought the atmosphere last night was dead. Is it something to do with the price of tickets? Or are people getting fed up, with the style of play we've seen to adapted when Capello was in charge?

Nope. It was just a meaningless game, no more no less. You can't get excited or up for it at a friendly, its just not possible.

If that was a Playoff or a World Cup qualifier against the dutch - different atmosphere entirely.

Teddy Maybank

Feb 23, 2009
It's a great big stadium with no popular area. If you wanted to go mental at the old Wembley, you went behind the goals. At the new place everyone is mixed in together in one great big corporate family area. No atmosphere at all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nope. It was just a meaningless game, no more no less. You can't get excited or up for it at a friendly, its just not possible.

If that was a Playoff or a World Cup qualifier against the dutch - different atmosphere entirely.

To be honest young Basil has a point.Certainly now it has been realised that our style or kick and rush football will never win us anything as this tippy tappy boring pass it back to the defence style stuff the europeans play is the way forward. I think even Keane referred to this yesterday saying that the English public were going to have to get used to the ditching of the "attack, attack, attack attack attack" style .

If that is the way forawrd, I can see people getting bored and looking for something to do, ie throw paper aeroplanes and take photos of eachother

I was bored stupid with all but 1 period of two minutes when teh Dutch scored 2, and one period of 10 minutes when England and Holland both scored. The rest was dire

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I watched 1st half then turned over for Masterchief from 9-00. Missed all the goals but still enjoyed MC more I reckon

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Have to say I'm always amazed that anyone bothers going to England friendlies in the week, unless they live relatively close by and the tickets are reasonably cheap. I've never had any interest in England friendlies and certainly wouldn't go through the hassle of going to watch one live unless it was occurring in my back garden or I had a flat in the grounds of Wembley Stadium.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be honest young Basil has a point.Certainly now it has been realised that our style or kick and rush football will never win us anything as this tippy tappy boring pass it back to the defence style stuff the europeans play is the way forward. I think even Keane referred to this yesterday saying that the English public were going to have to get used to the ditching of the "attack, attack, attack attack attack" style .

If that is the way forawrd, I can see people getting bored and looking for something to do, ie throw paper aeroplanes and take photos of eachother

I was bored stupid with all but 1 period of two minutes when teh Dutch scored 2, and one period of 10 minutes when England and Holland both scored. The rest was dire

I'm not convinced its the style of football that dictates the atmosphere at all. Are you saying kick and rush gets people off their seats making a noise ? Mmmnah.

I was only half watching the game last night (down the pub) because I didn't really give a stuff about it. There's nothing riding on it, the result was meaningless, so it barely had half my attention. Its simple apathy.

That is definitely NOT the case in a game that matters though, such as a qualifier. Those games have my full attention. I want to see a good performance, I get excited, I cheer when we score, I howl when we're shit. I CARE.

Last night was just one big "meh" though. How can you ever get a decent atmosphere going, when no-one there cares because it doesn't matter ?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
They only played that game because they were contractually committed to playing it. There was no footballing reason for it (despite the excuse for the Dutch to reveal an absolutely vile away shirt, and England to play like an anaemic version of Leeds). Hard to belive, having watched the last 20 minutes, that many of that side wil be eating cabbage during the summer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here