Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley stadium R.I.P

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the team playing in black wouldn't have looked out of place in blue and white stripes.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Nope. It was just a meaningless game, no more no less. You can't get excited or up for it at a friendly, its just not possible.

If that was a Playoff or a World Cup qualifier against the dutch - different atmosphere entirely.

I disagree... any friendly against a full strength dutch side 5 or so years ago would be a big occasion

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I don't think it was meaningless , we always used to mainly play friendlies against poorer football nations so when we progress through to the latter stages of cup games we struggle against the better teams , so to play against France , Spain and Holland gives us more of a clue where we can improve , if we can !

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
There can be atmosphere. England vs Croatia under McClaren (Wolly with a brolly night) was incredible, Wembley going through the motions. Never heard passionate booing like it at 0-2, then at 2-2 (we were then going through) the place was rocking, probably the only time every England fan at the new Wembley has got going. Then at 2-3 it was back to booing again, Beckham waited behind at the end for a standing ovation from everyone who was left, and that was that, atmosphere has been absolute TOILET since.

Doesn't really help that the tannoy drowns out any hope of noise pre-match, and they play Three Lions when the ground is half empty, rather than 5 minutes before kick off

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Don't know why but the atmosphere seems so shit compared to the Millenium stadium.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I've never understood the mentality of people who fork out good money to travel to watch England play meaningless friendlies. I just don't get it, especially as the bunch of big-time charlies in England shirts have let us down time and time again.

Jan 30, 2008
Apols, forgot I was addressing the keyboard top boy!

So you were talking about the 1984 match. Out of interest, how old were you then? In any event, again ludicrous to compare a 1984 match against the Sweaties when hooliganism was rife, with a meaningless friendly against a country we have never had a grudge with in 2012.

You may as well compare the Chelsea match of 84 at the Goldstone, with the pre season friendly against Eastbourne last July!!
wind your neck in :bla:, never said i was comparing that game with last nights :facepalm:

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I went last night, first time at the new wembley. Only £20 for an adult and £10 for jnr.
It is a fantastic stadium, catering efficient, easy to get a beer/food (although extortionate) - no q for loo at HT great views.
On the negative side no atmosphere whatsoever, was surprised that it was 76K. Also had to leave on 85 mins to avoid the mad tube rush (or you could miss the last train back to b'ton) - only saw 2 goals in a 5 goal game.
I'll go again but not on a week night.:facepalm:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I thought the team playing in black wouldn't have looked out of place in blue and white stripes.

England seemed so typically impatient,always pressing,it nearly worked,but ..............oh i can';t stand it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went to the Carling Cup Final on Sunday, and no-one could complain about the atmosphere there. Ditto last year, where Birmingham (unexpectedly) made more noise than I've ever heard before at a football match.

So I suspect it's the match and its significance rather than the stadium itself.

It's England games, especially when Smalling, Welbeck & Co are outclassed.
England tried possession, but a miriad of passes going no one, was a turnoff.

Wembley looks & sounds great for club games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree... any friendly against a full strength dutch side 5 or so years ago would be a big occasion

Dutch play best side. Pride in their nation.

The english obsession with finishing top 4 PL (gives NO trophy, but you get more money the next season to pay an allegedly better class of prima donna), meant many cried off with minor nasal snithles, and knocks. Will all be fit for the weekend.
Manu, ManC, Arsenal, Chelsea & now Spurs must finish higher than their bitter enemies at ALL costs.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I went last night, first time at the new wembley. Only £20 for an adult and £10 for jnr.
It is a fantastic stadium, catering efficient, easy to get a beer/food (although extortionate) - no q for loo at HT great views.
On the negative side no atmosphere whatsoever, was surprised that it was 76K. Also had to leave on 85 mins to avoid the mad tube rush (or you could miss the last train back to b'ton) - only saw 2 goals in a 5 goal game.
I'll go again but not on a week night.:facepalm:

I've been to a few England games at the new Wembley, and a couple at the old one (one of those games was our Play Off Final in 1991). The trouble with the new one is that they have bent over backwards to make it a family occasion, and every time they had those ruddy air horns, and on one occasion mate who gets the tickets had got them in the expensive section (just outside the Club Wembley bit) and we had to endure a woman who kept screaming at the team, on a day when I had a filthy migraine. You can occasionally get atmosphere of sorts, though it can verge on the nasty, like the first friendly against Germany. There was a sort of "home" section next to the German fans (away fans used to be in the NE corner, they're now the other side), but all they did was sing "And there's ten German bombers in the air...And the RAF from England shot them down". To be honest I'd had enough by the time we left.

My abiding memories of the old stadium are the awful view, England fans singing for Bobby Robson to be sacked (England-Sweden, 0-0, qualifying for Italia '90) and the Albion capitulating to Notts County.

CWWW, if you wondered why I've quoted you, it's just to give a little tip: You are far better off if coming from our area (and mine as well) going to Wembley Central rather than Wembley Park. Either get the train to Willesden Junction then another to Clapham Junction and change there for the Brighton Line, or, to avoid the crowds, go north to Harrow and Wealdstone, then get the Southern train to East Croydon. Unfortunately it doesn't go to Brighton any more, but you save a considerable amount of time. I thought the national stadium should have gone next to the NEC, with the FA having to pay to upgrade the M42 and Birmingham International Station. I still do now.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I went to Wembley for Fabio's first game in charge. The atmosphere was a little flat, but I still enjoyed it. The main prohibitive factor for me not going any more is the price, and the fact there are very few weekend games.

I went to that one too. Ghana game last year was alright atmosphere - mainly because 30,000 Ghana fans stoked it up. Generally rubbish for England games though. Supporting England generally feels pretty rubbish these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here