Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well how was it for you?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Best evening for a long long time. First proper match at Withdean to feel like a big match atmosphere like we used to have at the Goldstone if it was decent opposition. Made all ther better by sharing it with my son and father.

I think Wednesday night was the first proper night that my son appreciated the joy that Brighton FC can bring to your life. He has been to loads of games home and away including the play off final but I think he was a bit too young to really get the full joy then.

For the first time in his ten year old life he could hold his head up high in the playground and tell his friends all about the super seagulls. Happy, happy days.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
That was without doubt the best game I've been to at Withers, the atmosphere was fantastic and the team fought to the last. My brain was still numb with it all 24 hours later and the smile is still on my face.

In footballing terms it may not mean very much in the long run but it has certainly put Brighton & Hove Albion back on everyone's radar. You never know, those oil billionaires may just have some rich friends and relations looking to join the footballing binfest over here!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm still struggling to think of an Albion experience which combined the four essential ingredients:

(a) An Albion victory
(b) Great entertainment
(c) Sustained excitement
(d) Atmosphere

Wednesday night had all four. If you look back at some of the other great occasions, at least one of those is missing:

- Swindon Play Off semi (home) [2004] - not that entertaining to be honest, and we played rather averagely;
- Play off final [2004] - great atmosphere, but crap game;
- Palace away [2005] - came close to Wednesday night, but didn't mean anything outside Brighton & South London;
- Hereford away [1997] - momentous occasion, but we were crap
- Doncaster home [1997] - as above, but not such crap football
- Chesterfield home [2001] - good game, great atmosphere, but not really "edge of the seat" excitement
- Ipswich home [2005] - genuinely nerve-wracking, but in the end it was just a 1-1 draw with another Championship team
- Arsenal home [1979] - a great occasion, but we lost 4-0!

There are clearly some fantastic occasions which DID exceed Weds night's game:

- Newcastle away [1978] - three nil victory and promotion to Division One
- FA Cup Semi vs Sheff Weds at Highbury [1983]
- FA Cup Final vs Man Utd (first game!)
- Palace home [1979] - Boxing Day 3-0 victory

plus numerous Goldstone occasions in the 1976 - 1979 period, with plus 20,000 crowds. However, since we left the Goldstone I think I can safely say that Wednesday night was my best experience watching the Albion.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Not for one minute questioning your allegiences on the night Harty, but did you have any mixed feelings as I seem to recall City are your 'other' team?
Plus, if you want some negativity, I was given tickets in H Block with my youngest son, the inevitable result of which was the City supporters had a lot better view of the match than what he did and thats saying something!

Not even in the slightest, whatever I think about City, the Albion are my first love.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here