Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I agree also BH

Jubilant scenes, remembered for a long time to come.:clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the realism of how well we played and matched them at playing football on the ground and not route one hoof ball is now sinking in. Hopefully we can now carry that on to the league as the players and coaching staff now know that they can play that way and do not need to resort to route one.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
That's has, to be fair, been taken a little the wrong way I think.

It was a great night, don't get me wrong, a fantastic result and a super game of football! But surprises me that so many people see winning a Carling cup round 2 match as one of the best games of their albion supporting life.

It's because most of us don't see it as just winning in the carling cup second round, that's secondary. Most of us see it as beating not only a premiership side, but the richest premiership side. On top of that it was a damn good game. You wouldn't have thought there were 40 odd places between us.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Chatting to Man City supporters in the pub outside the station before the game, they were confident of a win, with plenty of goals to boot. And to be honest who could argue with them?

They were a good lot weren't they? Shame they couldn't come back in the pub after as planned :lolol:

But seriously, that was all part of it for me. The pubs packed from 6.15. The whole "big game" feeling which we haven't experienced for a while. Events on the pitch couldn't have been scripted better, going behind, level in the 88th, going ahead, winning on penalties after scoring 5 and FDM saving one. Then back in the Station for the goals on TV.

I did next to no work yesterday, spent most of the time dealing with texts and emails from workmates around the country, one of whom is sending me the Manchester Evening News.

Ian. It was a top night. Everyone agrees. Hopefully most will be back, for Derby if not Cheltenham.

Halcyon

Who let the Doug out?
Jul 22, 2008
Teesside
Still can't believe we beat Man City - what an evening! Even though I dislocated my shoulder celebrating when Matt Richards scored the winning penalty and spending the next 5 hours at A&E couldn't put a dampener on it!

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Not for one minute questioning your allegiences on the night Harty, but did you have any mixed feelings as I seem to recall City are your 'other' team?
Plus, if you want some negativity, I was given tickets in H Block with my youngest son, the inevitable result of which was the City supporters had a lot better view of the match than what he did and thats saying something!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Not for one minute questioning your allegiences on the night Harty, but did you have any mixed feelings as I seem to recall City are your 'other' team?
Plus, if you want some negativity, I was given tickets in H Block with my youngest son, the inevitable result of which was the City supporters had a lot better view of the match than what he did and thats saying something!

eh, hows the away end better than H Blockm have you ever sat there?

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
H block okay if you're a full sized adult or a child that enjoys studying the backs of peoples heads.

Lucky_C

Dec 15, 2006
Not Brighton, sadly.
Got back from Beijing on Friday - first match of the season that I've been able to make. I've been working at the Olympic & Paralympic Games, at the rowing events. One of my mates out there doing the same job at the football events had been telling me how good Jo was. Must have been a culture shock from the Workers Stadium to the Withdean, but it's a great result for us and probably the best night I've had supporting Albion!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes a club that has been robbed by crooks, nearly shut down, nearly went to the conference, has fans that care so much they worked for nothing for Falmer, has a chairman that must be mad to stick around given the shit that has happened, punched way above its weight staying two seasons in the championship and finally has a shed load of fans that bleed blue.

Sorry but not convinced you are one of us.

3 seasons in the Championship

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wednesday night was ht best ever match at theWithdean. It even eclipsed beating the cheats for the league title in 2001 for me. And everyone who says 3 point Saturday mean more, the are MAD, we have another 38 games after Saturday to get enough points for the play off. Wednesday night comes along once every 10 years.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fantastic, fantastic night.

Sometimes being a Brighton fan is pretty shit, but nights like Wednesday make it all worthwhile.

The timing of the game was superb coming in the week when City officially became the richest club on the planet.

My son goes to a school where the kids 'support' Chelski, Manure etc, and he said Thursday was one of the best days ever.

Adams got his tactics spot on, even down to the subs and their timing, so hats off to him. Showed how good a CB Virgo is (please leave him there) and how he can form a decent partnership with Elphick. I thought big Joe made a great impact (even aside from the goal) and that Richards had an excellent game against Ireland who I felt was City's best player.

However Weednesday does only rank in third place in my all time Withdean highlights (after Swindon and Chesterfield.)

Mar 10, 2006
It isn't the fact it was the Carling Cup Round 2 it was the fact that we beat the richest club in the UK who happened to have an £18 million forward playing that failed to deliver and the thrill of the penalty shoot out.

If you can't get excited and passionate about that then words really do fail me.

Spot on

I thought it was a jolly good evening. Lord B and I took a dignified stroll onto the pitch afterwards and the scenes were indeed marvellous. The sight of a very nearly full stadium was heartwarming and we only needed it to pour with rain to recreate that last thrillingly victorious penalty shoot-out at Withdean! All in all a damned good show.

You mean you slipped through the cordon of crowd-control stewards?
You were already risking ejection for being the only people still seated when the reat of Withdean was hailing the home heros. :glare:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
If I did what I did after the final whistle on the pitch on Wed night in a town centre today, they'd section me under the mental health act.

Amazing night. Truly out of this world.

I'm sure there are a few similar tales, but from my experience;

Prem-club supporting mates called to congratulate.
EVERYONE down the pubs I went into, talked about the match - even gathering to debate and share from different tables that didn't know each other.
People pointed at headlined pages of the national papers.
Even some palace offered (some grudgingly, granted) respects, with mentions of how 11 men can still rule against bigtime money.
People who don't have even the remotest interest in football - maybe even despise the game - raised respectful eyebrows and discussed what little they'd heard on the tv news about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here