Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well doneto all the boo boys, read on!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Nov 20, 2003
hove
I booed last night but at the ref ,thought from my position it was a fair tackle for the pen not one of their players appealed before he gave it

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Booing is the issue. Everyone has the right to gripe about anything and yes Gus is answerable to the board and, theoreretically, the fans but booing is in noway constructive... it is destructive and therefore isnt fan behaviour. Even demonstrations to sack the boss are better than booing.

Is this a fact ? Do we not know that booing on occassions can actually provoke a positive response ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Is this a fact ? Do we not know that booing on occassions can actually provoke a positive response ?

Hahaha! Great response...... although more pertinently might be are there any cases in football where booing has resulted in a positive response from a team.

Cmon US.... you are a logical man... would it motivate you if you were trying your best and you were booed or would it take the wind out of your sails?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Traditionally... didnt we boo the opposition to make them feel unwanted ... therefore an incentive to demotivation?

Anyway, got to opt out now as twenty five undergrads are waiting to boo my lecture ;)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Probably not but I am a sensitive and thin skinned git. Also no one pays me £ 25 to watch me.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
for what its worth ive never booed the team and never will ,think those that did can f*** right off this is the best football ive seen for years and long may it continue

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Probably not but I am a sensitive and thin skinned git. Also no one pays me £ 25 to watch me.

Students will have to wait a mo....

and thats my point... paying money = demanding something in return = spectator

A fan is a synonym of supporter. Supporter means someone who supports a team/individual or concept. How does booing count as support? And how much support is it when it is conditional on getting value for money?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hahaha! Great response...... although more pertinently might be are there any cases in football where booing has resulted in a positive response from a team.

Cmon US.... you are a logical man... would it motivate you if you were trying your best and you were booed or would it take the wind out of your sails?

There was a game at Withdean a couple of seasons back when Millwall went in 1-0 down at half-time to loud boos ringing in their ears from the away support. They came out after the break with a couple of subs made and were 2-1 up in about as many minutes. That's how it finished. Just saying, like.

Dr JCL

Jul 18, 2011
erm...why is it jingoistic to describe latin football as "boring tippy tappy stuff"?

So is it xenophobic to describe English football as kick and rush?
I think it all depends upon who is making the claim and on what basis it is founded. Xenophobia is an uninformed dislike or fear of what is foreign, and the post to which I was referring (by pork pie) seemed to display such sentiments: blaming our style on its supposed cultural roots without offering any kind of explanation as to how such a conclusion was reached. The implication being that Brighton's 'boring' style of play was culturally symptomatic, a claim which I believe has little basis. For what it's worth, I'd suggest that our current play is an amalgamation of various national styles, but I'm no expert. If you are interested in the international evolution of football style, I'd recommend Jonathan Wilson's book 'Inverting the Pyramid', which can shed far more light onto this subject than I could ever hope to.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it all depends upon who is making the claim and on what basis it is founded. Xenophobia is an uninformed dislike or fear of what is foreign, and the post to which I was referring (by pork pie) seemed to display such sentiments: blaming our style on its supposed cultural roots without offering any kind of explanation as to how such a conclusion was reached. The implication being that Brighton's 'boring' style of play was culturally symptomatic, a claim which I believe has little basis. For what it's worth, I'd suggest that our current play is an amalgamation of various national styles, but I'm no expert. If you are interested in the international evolution of football style, I'd recommend Jonathan Wilson's book 'Inverting the Pyramid', which can shed far more light onto this subject than I could ever hope to.

I will certainly have a look . Thanks

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Usually booing the ref is saved for when they're either the last on the pitch or heading for the tunnel. The sustained booing was saved for then.

However, there was a brief, not particularly loud bout of booing (a couple of seconds) the moment the referee's whistle went for half-time. At least there was in WSU.

Possible booing by a small minority, but the majority was aimed at the ref, ive no doubt about that. I was about 10 yards away from the ref as he walked down the tunnel and it was definitely directed at him i can assure you.
I think Gus has massively overeacted and needs to stop his latino outbursts and save them for when they are really required like when we getting thumped 6-0.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The booing was ridiculous, scandalous and delusional. Watford are an established Championship side and unbeaten in six away from home (including games at Leeds West Ham and Cardiff) but everybody just expected them to roll over and submit to defeat. We've over achieved this year and if some idots don't wind their neck in it's going to be a long hard campaign next year.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
So were people booing the team at half time? Incredibly stupid if so. I thought the boos were for the referee when I heard them.
I think they were for the ref, I don't boo my own players but I got so pissed off with the same 2 players losing the ball far more than the other...These 2 players constantly get backing and I dont know why! You all know who they are!

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
The booing was ridiculous, scandalous and delusional. Watford are an established Championship side and unbeaten in six away from home (including games at Leeds West Ham and Cardiff) but everybody just expected them to roll over and submit to defeat. We've over achieved this year and if some idots don't wind their neck in it's going to be a long hard campaign next year.

Nobody expected them to roll over and submit to defeat, I expect anyone who did boo the team felt it was actually us who had rolled over not Watford. If anyone deserved a boo, it was the manager for his rather surprising team selections in recent matches, not the players.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The booing at half-time was a joke. We've got to remember, that this our first season back in the Championship and to us finishing in the top ten. Is a amazing achievement. With the budget and mainly same squad that won us the League One title last season is bloody impressive. Oh and being above Palarse for the first time in 26 years is a brilliant season all round, next season with significant strengthening we could do that one better and push on for Play-offs or maybe even Automatic Promotion.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS I SAY. :clap2: :clap2:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
What is the matter with you JCL? I have supported the Albion for over 40 years, and will continue to do so long after everyone has forgotten some little South American dictator who used to manage us.

You might have "supported" the Albion for over 40 years but I think we can do very well without your kind of "support" and attitude, you angry little chap

"There's something wrong in this football club, maybe it's time we told them what they can expect. I don't know the last time Brighton were in the top 10 of the Championship."

It is true though, we do seem to have some of the most negative fans. considering where we have come from you would have thought it would have been the opposite. Maybe some people need reminding that we no longer have the likes of Colin "the hawk" Hawkings, Tommy fraser etc and now have a variety of international players

The thing to ask is, do we forever have to compare all future fortunes against the awful and dire recent past where we had very little to hope for?
Ambition IS made of stern stuff, and if I were Poyet I might be inclined to say I'd not be over the moon to miss out on the playoffs regardless of how low we have been dredging the divisions.
Having said that though, there has to be some sympathy for the fact that we have been doing alright in the Championship with a mostly-league-one squad.
KLL, Vicente, and (if you look at his pedigree as a trainee) Bridcutt have come from a higher league, otherwise we are still punching largely above our weight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here