Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done to the Board!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why is it we are all suddenly content with less than mediocre?!

Two words....FALMER and WITHDEAN

I think Falmer is a distraction that people will bring up whenever there is any form of disention in the ranks.

as in

" This is totally shit"

" Yes but Falmer is around the corner, taking up all our money, we are losing money hand over fist at Withdean, therefore we can't buy decent players or attract a decent manager"

" When Falmer comes along, we will have full houses, loads of money to spend on players and we can attract a Harry Redknapp type of manager"

simples

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For sticking by Slade and not giving in to a small amount of fans who for some strange reason expect us to be top of the league!

so are we to take it that you are happy with the current league position and perfomances??? you're content that players who have previously performed adequatly in the Championship are turning into League 2 quality?

Who thought we'd be top to the league, i dont think any expected that, at best a play off was most peoples expectation.

i wanted to give Slade a chance, and looking at the fixtures for October, i thought it was make or break. Yeovil, Hartlepool, Tranmere, Oldham and a game in hand against Gillingham, all teams around us i expected a good run. but then we loose to the shite that is Tranmere and in between lose to Leyton in the paint pot. Its not good enough.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I totally and wholeheartedly disagree...NSC's lifespan is short and has only really had any meaningful impact on the club over the last decade.

For all it's faults and binfests, NSC is the one of the finest examples of a representation of a football clubs fans and that's why programme editors, opposition supporters, etc post on here...

Plus just by what you've said, you've basically suggested that booing or dissent against the club has never existed which is ridiculous...

NSC was not around when Archer, Stanley & Bellotti screwed our club over and as supporters we stood up to that regime, nor was it around when Lloyd was in charge and supporters regularly boo'd players off the pitch at the Goldstone when we were playing, quite rubbish.

It also wasn't around when Cattlin got sacked and we protested against the decision the board made...It also wasn't around when supporters got sick to death of watching Mike Bailey's Albion team play utterly boring football week in week out.

What NSC does do (and you should know because you're here doing it yourself) is allow us, as Albion fans, to put across their view and voice an opinion in a way that's never been done before. Previously we could only do it at games!

I'm sorry but I competely disagree. The booing and protesting of Archer etc was done because the situation he caused was a just a tad more serious than us being 4th from bottom in October.

I'm not saying booing is never right or anything but I think this website plays a huge part in people being able form witch hunts from the comfort of their homes. It is such a tiny amount of people who seriously want Slade out now, but because a shitty poll on here gets 70% voting one way - some people think that transcends to every other Brighton fan and so 70% of them will also want Slade out - well it doesn't!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
so are we to take it that you are happy with the current league position and perfomances??? you're content that players who have previously performed adequatly in the Championship are turning into League 2 quality?

No I never said I was happy with whats going on playing wise, I just dont think having ANOTHER new manager would make things any better?

Who thought we'd be top to the league, i dont think any expected that, at best a play off was most peoples expectation.

i wanted to give Slade a chance, and looking at the fixtures for October, i thought it was make or break. Yeovil, Hartlepool, Tranmere, Oldham and a game in hand against Gillingham, all teams around us i expected a good run. but then we loose to the shite that is Tranmere and in between lose to Leyton in the paint pot. Its not good enough.

Last season how many people were saying that the Paint Pot is a waste of time? Now all of a sudden its an outrage that we havent gone through!

And when was the last time we won at Tranmere?

Why arent the players taking more of the stick? Its them that are getting sent off, them that are makig basic mistakes and them that are loosing football matches!

And before people start shooting me down, yes I know Slade has to take part of the blame but the players do more so in my opinion!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Why arent the players taking more of the stick? Its them that are getting sent off, them that are makig basic mistakes and them that are loosing football matches!

And before people start shooting me down, yes I know Slade has to take part of the blame but the players do more so in my opinion!

As I see it, the players are selected to play, coached how to play, given briefings about the players they will face, and a game-plan, by the MANAGER. Obviously, if individual players made mistakes from time to time, they will get stick, but poor overall team performances week after week, can only be the fault of one man, as he should have dealt with the problems.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I totally and wholeheartedly disagree...NSC's lifespan is short and has only really had any meaningful impact on the club over the last decade.

For all it's faults and binfests, NSC is the one of the finest examples of a representation of a football clubs fans and that's why programme editors, opposition supporters, etc post on here...

Plus just by what you've said, you've basically suggested that booing or dissent against the club has never existed which is ridiculous...

NSC was not around when Archer, Stanley & Bellotti screwed our club over and as supporters we stood up to that regime, nor was it around when Lloyd was in charge and supporters regularly boo'd players off the pitch at the Goldstone when we were playing, quite rubbish.

It also wasn't around when Cattlin got sacked and we protested against the decision the board made...It also wasn't around when supporters got sick to death of watching Mike Bailey's Albion team play utterly boring football week in week out.

What NSC does do (and you should know because you're here doing it yourself) is allow us, as Albion fans, to put across their view and voice an opinion in a way that's never been done before. Previously we could only do it at games!

Good post.

The problem with message boards in general is that any feeling, be it good or bad, tends to get magnified and distorted.

Since saturday a couple of posters, namely steve foster and don whatshisface have been posting two or three threads a day about sacking Slade .These threads have been filled with the usual band of dissenters, I'm sure that most can't be arsed to argue with them on every single thread so they probably think that people actually agree with them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Two words....FALMER and WITHDEAN

I think Falmer is a distraction that people will bring up whenever there is any form of disention in the ranks.

as in

" This is totally shit"

" Yes but Falmer is around the corner, taking up all our money, we are losing money hand over fist at Withdean, therefore we can't buy decent players or attract a decent manager"

" When Falmer comes along, we will have full houses, loads of money to spend on players and we can attract a Harry Redknapp type of manager"

simples

I've seen you post this a few times recently and honstly think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I don't think Falmer is going to be like a magic wand.

There is no such thing as a magic wand, I just accept that for the size of club we are at the moment then 3rd division mid table is on average where our resources will take us, barring an exceptional team or manager like we had when we made it to the championship last time.

It's not that I don't want us to have success, it's just that I realise how difficult it is to get it and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes us another 5 years or more to get out of this league. If that happens am I going to give up supporting Albion? Am I f***, I go to footy because I enjoy it whatever division we're in, saturday out with my mates for a few beers, if we win then all the better.

What I do know though it that the usual suspects will still be on here shouting about sacking managers and slagging the club off

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
I've seen you post this a few times recently and honstly think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I don't think Falmer is going to be like a magic wand.

There is no such thing as a magic wand, I just accept that for the size of club we are at the moment then 3rd division mid table is on average where our resources will take us, barring an exceptional team or manager like we had when we made it to the championship last time.

It's not that I don't want us to have success, it's just that I realise how difficult it is to get it and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes us another 5 years or more to get out of this league. If that happens am I going to give up supporting Albion? Am I f***, I go to footy because I enjoy it whatever division we're in, saturday out with my mates for a few beers, if we win then all the better.

What I do know though it that the usual suspects will still be on here shouting about sacking managers and slagging the club off

You get that whatever club you follow Billy

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm sorry but I competely disagree. The booing and protesting of Archer etc was done because the situation he caused was a just a tad more serious than us being 4th from bottom in October.

I'm sure others will agree when I say that you've taken what I've said totally out of context. I never compared our current situation to that which we went through in 1997 so I don't know what you're getting at there.

Anyway, it would be folly to compare our current situation to that which we went through in the late nineties.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
As I see it, the players are selected to play, coached how to play, given briefings about the players they will face, and a game-plan, by the MANAGER. Obviously, if individual players made mistakes from time to time, they will get stick, but poor overall team performances week after week, can only be the fault of one man, as he should have dealt with the problems.

Im pretty sure that Slade didnt tell his players to go out and get sent off and get injured (also not the players fault) which means playing games a man down and not having them for 1,2,3 games afterwards.

Also, players making mistakes from time to time isnt strictly true, they are making them far more often than that!

Lets not kid ourselves, Slade isnt a magician and cant just turn round the team over night, nor does he turn into a bad manager over night!

The biggest problem at the moment is form and morale.

If you are playing badly as an individual this will bring down your morale which will rub off onto other players who will then start making little mistakes and so on. When as a team your not playing well and dont have alot of belief in your own ability then when someone makes a mistake or you concede an unlucky goal (like the first for Oldham) then your heads will drop and a hard task has just been made harder!

Yes you could say that its Slades job to sort this out but like Ive said, he isnt a miracle worker and its not going to happen over night!

Our team IS too good to go down and I cant see anyway that we will but we need to give the WHOLE coaching team which does include Booker and White some support!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My only problem with Slade is he doesnt have the ability to motivate them into a come back. Oldham game - when we were a goal down, we never once looked like scoring or coming back into the game. No urgency, nothing. I think it stemmed from starting with negative tactics and not being able to come out of it.

I say give him more time, but if he does have to go, do it before the next transfer window opens, so the new guy can buy more players which need time to settle and gel together and produce more bad results whilst doing so!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ali...On a lighter note - you really should know better :lolol:

You know that could come back to haunt you at the end of the season don't you...I seemed to remember Alan Hansen saying something similar about Newcastle last year.

I said the same thin last year when people were saying that we were still going to go down even with Slade in!

But I do know its tempting fate!

My only problem with Slade is he doesnt have the ability to motivate them into a come back. Oldham game - when we were a goal down, we never once looked like scoring or coming back into the game. No urgency, nothing. I think it stemmed from starting with negative tactics and not being able to come out of it.

I say give him more time, but if he does have to go, do it before the next transfer window opens, so the new guy can buy more players which need time to settle and gel together and produce more bad results whilst doing so!

This comes back to the morale and form thing I was talking about earlier!

Sometimes there is nothing that can be said. No amount of shouting, hugging, etc can change your morale if your going through a slump! Just persaverance and PAITENCE!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm sure others will agree when I say that you've taken what I've said totally out of context. I never compared our current situation to that which we went through in 1997 so I don't know what you're getting at there.

Anyway, it would be folly to compare our current situation to that which we went through in the late nineties.

Ok I apologise if I misunderstood but what did you mean by the comment:

"Plus just by what you've said, you've basically suggested that booing or dissent against the club has never existed which is ridiculous..."

How did I suggest that?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Did you go to Withdean on Saturday, there was a tiny group that booed at the end. NSC is home to the keyboard warriors that don't really like the Albion but like to join a band wagon or a witch hunt.

If NSC didn't exist I very much doubt there would have been ANY booing on Saturday.

I would never boo my team or a manager, but that is not to say I was happy with the performance on saturday. It was the worst of the season so far - I have seen nothing that makes me confident that we will improve. The football has been better than under Adams but still not consistent. As most fans i like Slade - he is likable and honest. He has a good view of the game and spots weaknesses. The problem is he does not appear to be able to rectify the problems. Reluctantly I do not think he is up to it - and we need yet another manager.

If Coppell was named manager tomorrow I would be very happy.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Although I'm not as convinced as I once was with Salde I wouldn't be too disappointed if he were to be kept on, however...

GET HIM A f***ing PROPER ASSISTANT MANAGER!!!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Im pretty sure that Slade didnt tell his players to go out and get sent off and get injured (also not the players fault) which means playing games a man down and not having them for 1,2,3 games afterwards.

Also, players making mistakes from time to time isnt strictly true, they are making them far more often than that!

Lets not kid ourselves, Slade isnt a magician and cant just turn round the team over night, nor does he turn into a bad manager over night!

The biggest problem at the moment is form and morale.

If you are playing badly as an individual this will bring down your morale which will rub off onto other players who will then start making little mistakes and so on. When as a team your not playing well and dont have alot of belief in your own ability then when someone makes a mistake or you concede an unlucky goal (like the first for Oldham) then your heads will drop and a hard task has just been made harder!

Yes you could say that its Slades job to sort this out but like Ive said, he isnt a miracle worker and its not going to happen over night!

Our team IS too good to go down and I cant see anyway that we will but we need to give the WHOLE coaching team which does include Booker and White some support!

Obviously Slade is not sending them out to get sent off! However, he has hardly demonstrated that there is any strong discipline at the Club either, other than pathetic public swipes after the event. Injuries happen in all sports, that is why Slade has a squad of players. He should have ensured strength in depth. It has been a long time since we were a one man team, and Bobby Z getting injured meant we would almost certainly lose.

You are really confirming my point about players performing consistantly badly, that is not down to the players, but the management.

We have no confirmation that he was ever a good manager. Maybe he was lucky at the end of last year?

Well, yes, the problem is form and moral - both of which can only be the responsibility of the manager, not the players as individuals. Sorting it out by now would hardly be considered "overnight" - how much bloody longer should he expect to be given?

NO team is ever too good to go down. Ask Leeds, Southampton Charlton and many many more "too good to go down" teams over the years!

I think that the management team do get good support on match days, that is probably the reason for their getting so little aduse at matches. However, the problems are great, and cannot be ignored.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I would never boo my team or a manager, but that is not to say I was happy with the performance on saturday. It was the worst of the season so far - I have seen nothing that makes me confident that we will improve. The football has been better than under Adams but still not consistent. As most fans i like Slade - he is likable and honest. He has a good view of the game and spots weaknesses. The problem is he does not appear to be able to rectify the problems. Reluctantly I do not think he is up to it - and we need yet another manager.

If Coppell was named manager tomorrow I would be very happy.

:thumbsup:

I think that sums it up for most of us. Unfortunately, the Board's failure to sort out the problem makes many of us even more frustrated, and our unhappyness get slightly more polarised than we would have liked it to be.

Personally, after a couple of games this season, it appeared clear to me that Slade was not the man to take us very far, but i never dreamed that it would get this bad. I think that the important point is, "Is Russell Slade a Manager who is capable of making Brighton and Hove Albion a Club that is able to hold its own at the top of the Championship, and enjoy some spells in the Premiership from time to time (a bit like Palace)?". These I beleive, are Tony Bloom's stated aims for the Club, and certainly where I would like to see it. To me, the answer is clearly NO, in which case, he should be replaced sooner rather than later.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I was being sarcastic mate...as I have been every time I have posted it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here