Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done to the Board!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't think too many of us thought "top of the league".

Don't think too many of us thought bottom four,either.

Gonna dash his chances by saying,on reflection,Slade in - for now.But let's not leave it as late as last year if it all goes boobs up.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
.....and it's HIGHLY likely that a majority of fans outside of this message board would feel the same way.

Did you go to Withdean on Saturday, there was a tiny group that booed at the end. NSC is home to the keyboard warriors that don't really like the Albion but like to join a band wagon or a witch hunt.

If NSC didn't exist I very much doubt there would have been ANY booing on Saturday.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yet at the game, where there are more fans than NSC members, going by crowd reaction you could say it was 70-30 the other way, the minority boooed and shouted out out out

Exactly, the level of support on Saturday wasn't fantastic but it wasn't really very negative, dissapointed definetely but there weren't too many boos or Slade out chants

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
There's ticket sales, actual attendances, the fans phone in (Harty used to brag how it was taped so that Knight could listen to it), there's the general chit chat at withdean as well as the chants.

I can see where you're coming from, but then isn't that pretty much the same thing as people coming on here and voicing their opinions? (or in some circumstances, venting their spleen!!!)

You can't compare ticket sales and attendances because supporting your football team is a way of life and irrespective of how a team is playing and where they are in the league, supporters will still pay money(and in some circumstances huge sums) week in, week out to support their team. You only have to look at teams who qualify for a European place...Fans will go to the ends of the earth to watch their team...If they didn't you'd have little or no intermediate & amateur clubs.

Finally, the phone in is no different to here and from what I've heard over the last couple of weeks, people have been pretty scathing of the tactics used in games and they've been calling for Slade, Booker & White to be sacked so that would seem to back up the theory that the majority want a change.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I can see where you're coming from, but then isn't that pretty much the same thing as people coming on here and voicing their opinions? (or in some circumstances, venting their spleen!!!)

You can't compare ticket sales and attendances because supporting your football team is a way of life and irrespective of how a team is playing and where they are in the league, supporters will still pay money(and in some circumstances huge sums) week in, week out to support their team. You only have to look at teams who qualify for a European place...Fans will go to the ends of the earth to watch their team...If they didn't you'd have little or no intermediate & amateur clubs.

Finally, the phone in is no different to here and from what I've heard over the last couple of weeks, people have been pretty scathing of the tactics used in games and they've been calling for Slade, Booker & White to be sacked so that would seem to back up the theory that the majority want a change.

The Phone In is a tricky one because its strait after the game people react WAY over the top, just like they do on here. If you had it on a Thursday for example Im sure opinions would be vastly diffrent!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I truly believe public opinion of McGhee had nothing to do with the firing. The biggest difference between the summer when Knight fought to keep McGhee and october when he "listened to the fans" was that in the summer the calls were "McGhee out", in october it was "McGhee out and take knight with you. " ....
In a nutshell. When Gibson sacked Southgate one of the reports read something like: "Gibson is a shrewd chairman and he knew that heat turned onto the manager soon finds its way into the boardroom - and he didn't want to lose his 'local hero' status." For Gibson read Knight.

Obviously I know nothing about what the Albion board are thinking, but it's possible that one of the factors working in Slade's favour is the fact that Bloom is still very much seen as the saviour of the Falmer project and is thus (currently) untouchable. Even the most deeply cretinous Albion fan hasn't yet resorted to chanting 'Bloom out!'

And a quick nod of acknowledgment to supaseagull who, whilst I ultimately disagree with him over Slade, does make some very good points. All I can say is yes, we're ALL pissed off.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If NSC didn't exist I very much doubt there would have been ANY booing on Saturday.

I totally and wholeheartedly disagree...NSC's lifespan is short and has only really had any meaningful impact on the club over the last decade.

For all it's faults and binfests, NSC is the one of the finest examples of a representation of a football clubs fans and that's why programme editors, opposition supporters, etc post on here...

Plus just by what you've said, you've basically suggested that booing or dissent against the club has never existed which is ridiculous...

NSC was not around when Archer, Stanley & Bellotti screwed our club over and as supporters we stood up to that regime, nor was it around when Lloyd was in charge and supporters regularly boo'd players off the pitch at the Goldstone when we were playing, quite rubbish.

It also wasn't around when Cattlin got sacked and we protested against the decision the board made...It also wasn't around when supporters got sick to death of watching Mike Bailey's Albion team play utterly boring football week in week out.

What NSC does do (and you should know because you're here doing it yourself) is allow us, as Albion fans, to put across their view and voice an opinion in a way that's never been done before. Previously we could only do it at games!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I totally and wholeheartedly disagree...NSC's lifespan is short and has only really had any meaningful impact on the club over the last decade.

For all it's faults and binfests, NSC is the one of the finest examples of a representation of a football clubs fans and that's why programme editors, opposition supporters, etc post on here...

Plus just by what you've said, you've basically suggested that booing or dissent against the club has never existed which is ridiculous...

NSC was not around when Archer, Stanley & Bellotti screwed our club over and as supporters we stood up to that regime, nor was it around when Lloyd was in charge and supporters regularly boo'd players off the pitch at the Goldstone when we were playing, quite rubbish.

It also wasn't around when Cattlin got sacked and we protested against the decision the board made...It also wasn't around when supporters got sick to death of watching Mike Bailey's Albion team play utterly boring football week in week out.

What NSC does do (and you should know because you're here doing it yourself) is allow us, as Albion fans, to put across their view and voice an opinion in a way that's never been done before. Previously we could only do it at games!

I agree with most of that. The thing that struck me when reading it was that, in years gone by, like the Mike Bailey time, there was such a large swing in gates, that peoples "votes wiith their feet" were very noticable. However, as the Club's gates are really down to the die-hards, and have been for a number of years, that barometer of fans' approval of what is happening is not very sensitive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Exactly, the level of support on Saturday wasn't fantastic but it wasn't really very negative, dissapointed definetely but there weren't too many boos or Slade out chants

I think people are beyond mass protests....fans now are resigned to the fact that we are a poor side and appear to accepted it. just so long as Slade doffs his cap to the singing section, they all think he is God.

On Monday nights I chat with a few people who have been supporters for 50 odd years and they all are so dissolutioned with it all that the only reason they carry on going is that they have season tickets....which I can sympathise with.

I think its so very sad that it has come to this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Perhaps. But we had our highest attendance since the opening day, and that was despite rain most of the day (though it had stopped by kick off). People are still showing up, if you listen to people on here everyone is boycotting. Whether it's Uncle Spielberg or the couple that have lost interest since Wilkins was let go (chappers and someone else who's name escapes me).

The minority booed after the game at withdean, on here it was a majority.

So while there may be elements that are the same, opinions do vary. Meaning NSC isn't the only way to gauge opinion of fans.

[quoteYou can't compare ticket sales and attendances because supporting your football team is a way of life and irrespective of how a team is playing and where they are in the league, supporters will still pay money(and in some circumstances huge sums) week in, week out to support their team. You only have to look at teams who qualify for a European place...Fans will go to the ends of the earth to watch their team...If they didn't you'd have little or no intermediate & amateur clubs.[/quote]

Again I point to the likes of Chappers and Uncle Spielberg people on here who would probably consider themselves true fans of the albion, but who aren't inspired to go.

But the point of tickets and attendances is an indicator of how happy people are with their team. When the team is performing well, sales go up, when they don't and fans are unhappy with what they see, they go down. The falling attendances are cited as a reason for firing McGhee, NSC are not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the ultimate problem is that moaners generally seem to be making more noise than those who don't want Slade sacked so there seems to be more negativity than positiveness. I tend to avoid NSC after a defeat because you get the same old keyboard warriors saying the same old things

I am not really sure anyone actually does want Slade sacked. I think genuinely people want him to succeed...we all want him to succeed.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
You lot are f***ing pathetic.
You are such "good football fans", that you're content with f***ing dire performances week in, week out, and hey, if we go down to League 2 at least you can add some new grounds to your "Football Stadiums i Have Visited" app on Facebook yeah?
With the money he has spent, and the results he has acheived, i am amazed Slade is still in a job.
Call me a "keyboard warrior" if you want, but i'm a true fan of this club, and i feel that Slade is not the man to take us any further. He is a manager that takes shit sides with no money and makes them average.
We need a manager with Championship experience that we know can bring results.
Ring up Stevey Coppell, sort out this f***ing mess we are in, get rid of the prima donas and lets push for promotion next season.
:albion:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
and of the 70% wanting to sack the mighty bald one - how many actually attend withdean on a regular basis?

Been to all of them...at the mo wouldn't care either way if he stays or goes....His team selections sometimes baffle me....but mainly until the team start playing for each other we will not improve and i think that is largely down to the coaching or lack of it may seem

Perhaps. But we had our highest attendance since the opening day, and that was despite rain most of the day (though it had stopped by kick off). People are still showing up, if you listen to people on here everyone is boycotting. Whether it's Uncle Spielberg or the couple that have lost interest since Wilkins was let go (chappers and someone else who's name escapes me).

The minority booed after the game at withdean, on here it was a majority.

So while there may be elements that are the same, opinions do vary. Meaning NSC isn't the only way to gauge opinion of fans.

[quoteYou can't compare ticket sales and attendances because supporting your football team is a way of life and irrespective of how a team is playing and where they are in the league, supporters will still pay money(and in some circumstances huge sums) week in, week out to support their team. You only have to look at teams who qualify for a European place...Fans will go to the ends of the earth to watch their team...If they didn't you'd have little or no intermediate & amateur clubs.

Again I point to the likes of Chappers and Uncle Spielberg people on here who would probably consider themselves true fans of the albion, but who aren't inspired to go.

But the point of tickets and attendances is an indicator of how happy people are with their team. When the team is performing well, sales go up, when they don't and fans are unhappy with what they see, they go down. The falling attendances are cited as a reason for firing McGhee, NSC are not.[/QUOTE]

A large chunk of these tickets were cheapo ones. Just goes to show that if the club had a reasonable pricing strategy then Withdean will fill

and of the 70% wanting to sack the mighty bald one - how many actually attend withdean on a regular basis?

It doesn't matter if these people attend or not.
You could say, how many of the 30% that want him IN go to games then?

The majority of the people who have voted on NSC want him OUT.

We may not like the result but hey, its a democracy!!

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think that people expect us to be near the top of the table but we should not be down at the bottom either. The worrying thing is that we look as if we are getting worse and I'm sure that Hartlepool are expecting to leave with 3 points this weekend - this is the situation we are now in and it just keeeps cranking up the pressure. I think most people are struggling with this Slade out thing because people like the man but increasingly not the manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here