Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Chelsea

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It seems churlish to not be happy for Chelsea, but I'm not. They have really only won this title by being too scared to fully participate in the semi-final and final. They parked the bus (forgivable against barca, but less so against bayern) and made no attempt to seriously engage the opposition. Chelsea's fans have every right to be delighted and to salute the 'dogged' performance of their team, but for neutrals it was disappointing to see such a negative approach rewarded with the ultimate prize.

Very much so. Incredibly dull to watch I thought. Especially when you think back to the footballing masterclass Barcelona served up to run rings round Man U last year.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Very much so. Incredibly dull to watch I thought. Especially when you think back to the footballing masterclass Barcelona served up to run rings round Man U last year.

Very sad reflection on english football to have won the competition after the approach they took in the semi final and final. Embarrassing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It seems churlish to not be happy for Chelsea, but I'm not. They have really only won this title by being too scared to fully participate in the semi-final and final. They parked the bus (forgivable against barca, but less so against bayern) and made no attempt to seriously engage the opposition. Chelsea's fans have every right to be delighted and to salute the 'dogged' performance of their team, but for neutrals it was disappointing to see such a negative approach rewarded with the ultimate prize.

Think you've nailed it there. As a neutral there's been no pleasure whatsoever from seeing anti-football lifting the Champions League. If I was a Chelsea fan though I wouldn't give two hoots how it was done, just the fact they've been crowned Champions. Barca and Bayern lost the ties, rather than Chelsea winning them. So many chances blazed over and penalties missed in both rounds.

I wanted Man Utd to beat Bayern in '99 and I even wanted Liverpool to beat AC Milan in '05. However, I just couldn't bring myself to want Chelsea to win this one though

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
A great night for Chelsea and English football. If it had been Palace I would l would have wanted then to win.

I wonder how Spurs fans thought..but Arsenal would have happily worn blue for the night.

Yes, I would have supported Brighton against Bayern. Might have wavered if it was against Inter Milan though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't see whats hard to understand about people being happy to watch and support more than one team, I know loads of people who follow more than one team myself included.

Good post. And I assume we all support England, well most.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
In fact I wanted it for Drogba, the man was a tower of strength both in attack and in defence.

That header alone was probably one of the finest headed goals I've ever seen, to beat the goalie above his head at the near post rather than try a glance into the far corner which would probably have been cleared.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wonder how Spurs fans thought..but Arsenal would have happily worn blue for the night.

Yes, I would have supported Brighton against Bayern. Might have wavered if it was against Inter Milan though.

I was with a Spurs supporter, I went to Green Lanes, Tottingham heart land, he congratulated Chelsea, all be it grinding his teeth.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Totally. Chelsea accepted they weren't the better team and executed a plan that many teams would struggle to emulate & show the required discipline.

Made me think of Dope on a Rope, Ali knew he couldn't out box Foreman at that time, and executed a plan to win. It wasn't pretty but it remains one of the most famous sporting moments in history.
I think you mean rope-a-dope, and ali could outbox foreman any time, what he couldnt do was outfight him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very sad reflection on english football to have won the competition after the approach they took in the semi final and final. Embarrassing.

Not sure I get this attitude? Italy have employed similar tactics for years, in fact Roma, in their own stadium did exactly the same to Liverpool in '84, only Liverpool didn't bother attacking much either. What should be embarrassing is the inability of both Barca and Bayern to enjoy the lions share of possession, have about 100 shots between them, and still only manage 3 goals. Ridiculous. It's not Chelsea's fault, they've had a poor season and had 4 of their best players suspended. They took a risk in the semi and final to tactically stifle the game and it paid off. ManUtd on the other hand tried to play Barca at their own game in 2 finals, and both times got spanked. I'd say that was more embarrassing given United were English Champions on both occasions.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not sure I get this attitude? Italy have employed similar tactics for years, in fact Roma, in their own stadium did exactly the same to Liverpool in '84, only Liverpool didn't bother attacking much either. What should be embarrassing is the inability of both Barca and Bayern to enjoy the lions share of possession, have about 100 shots between them, and still only manage 3 goals. Ridiculous. It's not Chelsea's fault, they've had a poor season and had 4 of their best players suspended. They took a risk in the semi and final to tactically stifle the game and it paid off. ManUtd on the other hand tried to play Barca at their own game in 2 finals, and both times got spanked. I'd say that was more embarrassing given United were English Champions on both occasions.

I get what he's saying though. Sure it worked for Chelsea and if I were a fan wouldn't give a shit, but, at the end of the day it was a dull game for the neutral. Watching Barcelona spank Man U last year was one of the best games I have seen when I don't care for either team. It was the kind of game that made me love football all the more. This year's final made me wish I'd gone to bed (3.45am KO for me).

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I get what he's saying though. Sure it worked for Chelsea and if I were a fan wouldn't give a shit, but, at the end of the day it was a dull game for the neutral. Watching Barcelona spank Man U last year was one of the best games I have seen when I don't care for either team. It was the kind of game that made me love football all the more. This year's final made me wish I'd gone to bed (3.45am KO for me).

I didn't find it dull. I can remember some chronic ones like Notts Forest against ..who was it? Bayern or Hamburg. The one where Trevor Francis scored the only goal. THAT was dull.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

I dont know. I found the game fascinationg to watch and couldn't tear myself away. My problem is that it's a showcase game and if it was just a 'calculated risk' to play as they did then wow. Playing for pens in a champions league final. A high risk strategy that accepts that opposition has greater attacking talent. Chelsea are better than that arent they?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn't find it dull. I can remember some chronic ones like Notts Forest against ..who was it? Bayern or Hamburg. The one where Trevor Francis scored the only goal. THAT was dull.

Me neither. There were 30 odd chances in the game, pen save, last minute equaliser. I enjoyed how disciplined Chelsea were, and how Bayern were prepared to be more direct than Barca while still playing some great football. Good final. Seen plenty of rubbish previous, another one to forget Juve v AC Milan at Old Trafford. Awful.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I dont know. I found the game fascinationg to watch and couldn't tear myself away. My problem is that it's a showcase game and if it was just a 'calculated risk' to play as they did then wow. Playing for pens in a champions league final. A high risk strategy that accepts that opposition has greater attacking talent. Chelsea are better than that arent they?

I don't accept that Chelsea were playing for penalties from the kick-off, but rather trying to sneak a 1-0 win on the break. Always had a chance of that with Drogba in the side.

People seem to forget that Bayern Munich were essentially playing as the home team because they were in their own stadium so it was important to keep it as tight as possible and not galvanise the home support by conceding early. The Chelsea team knew the onus was on the Germans to attack. It is likely that Chelsea would have had a greater attacking threat if the game had been at Stamford Bridge.

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
It was interesting to see the complete lack of theatrics from Drogba against Munich. I've been to Stamford bridge a couple of times and the abiding memory is the quick time reponse to Man U fans calling out 'united' being.. 'are shyte'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here