Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Argus, you numpties

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is a total non-story. The Uni car park, on the left as you drive into the Uni, is being extended (to compensate for spaces being taken out by the stadium). What looks like about 3 small trees from over 100 will be cut down to make way for the extension. Martin Perry is currently on annual leave, but as soon as we can make contact, we may put an official statement out clarifying the position.

That quote has now made the online version, apart from the non story bit :lolol:

Incidentally, I think it's a bit out of order for the Argus to quote Insider from this website. Are they legally allowed to do that or do they have to get permission (I assume from Bozza and Insider)? Clearly the club are preparing an official statement to this nonsense reporting and I think it's a bit rude to quote Insider on it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Incidentally, I think it's a bit out of order for the Argus to quote Insider from this website. Are they legally allowed to do that or do they have to get permission (I assume from Bozza and Insider)? Clearly the club are preparing an official statement to this nonsense reporting and I think it's a bit rude to quote Insider on it.

That's perfectly legal and done quite frequently.

It's strange though that the Argus hasn't gone to the Insider in his capacity as club press officer for a statement first.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Still on the Argus website as 'Albion responsible for the destruction of thousands of hectares of ancient English forest and for increasing Global Warming'. Ok, it doesn't REALLY say that - but that's undoubtedly how it will be read and passed on by some.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Surley we will be planting more trees than we cut down? I hope so anyway BUT the stadium is more important than three trees.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Dont worry lads, I have a strange feeling they will be gone by Monday :thumbsup:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
A crusty invasion could spell the end of our club.
We can fairly safely say there isn't a 'crew' we haven't run away from, over the years.

Hey, we're lovers not fighters.

But for our 'hardcore & yoof development squad' (whose name escapes me), to be seen running away from Shaggy weilding nothing more than a pair of baggy, stained y-fronts. We might as well kiss goodbye to the club, as we'd never be able to hold our heads up, again.

What are you waffling on about? :rolleyes:

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
The trees or the Argus?

I think the proximity of the Police Station makes a chainsaw attack on the Argus a bit risky, but I will give it a go!

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
This is the Argus at its worse Insider has got it about right but it is also worth noting that this replaces an already granted consent to Brighton Uni that they let run out of time. The scrub that is being replaced is wind blown self seeded.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
As part of the stadium development the Community Stadium have to replace 61 car parking spaces for the University of Brighton which were originally on turnpike piece which is in the footprint of the proposed stadium.

To provide these spaces the existing University Of Brighton car park needs to be extended. It should be noted that the University had a previous planning consent which lapsed. Prior to submitting planning permission the club employed consultants to provide an ecological assessment on the land to be used.

The report it concluded “The site is currently an area of unmanaged scrub and is overgrown and there will be limited impact on a small part of regenerative woodland. The car park extension does not require removal of any noteworthy individual tree specimens.

"Upon completion the landscape proposals for the site make provision for approximately 260 square metres of native shrub planting supplemented by individual tree standards, groundcover shrubs and wildflower grass. These proposals will form a more diverse mix of understorey shrubs complementary to the existing woodland setting."

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
That's perfectly legal and done quite frequently.

It's strange though that the Argus hasn't gone to the Insider in his capacity as club press officer for a statement first.

They didn't. But I contacted Andy Chiles when this story appeared and told him I might be able to provide him with comment, once I had made contact with Martin Perry to clarify the position. My post above is a quote from Derek Chapman.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Ancient woodland my arse. The three trees referred to have sprung up 'since 1974' - as reported at the committee meeting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here