Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I’ve said it before Welbeck has been the main catalyst for our form over the last 10 games.

Have said similar myself - we lost only to City since our away win at Arsenal and the 2 big reasons for this were Welbeck and Caicedo coming into the starting lineup for every game from that Arsenal game onwards.

Welbz is a class act and I’d love to see him given a 2 year deal

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I suspect Welbeck would want a pay rise bearing in mind he’s overtaken Maupay in the pecking order . Currently on I’m estimating around £45k pw .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I suspect Welbeck would want a pay rise bearing in mind he’s overtaken Maupay in the pecking order . Currently on I’m estimating around £45k pw .

I suspect the club would tell him that spending so much time injured in the past two seasons does not warrant a rise.

However, it’s obvious that he is very happy at the club and won’t let financials get in the way of extending his contract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No brainer, it will cost 25 million plus to replace him. Best hope his head isn’t turned as I’m pretty sure another club will be offering him substantially more than us now he APPEARS to have his injury issues sorted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I suspect the club would tell him that spending so much time injured in the past two seasons does not warrant a rise.

However, it’s obvious that he is very happy at the club and won’t let financials get in the way of extending his contract.

Or a 2 year contract extension.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No brainer, it will cost 25 million plus to replace him. Best hope his head isn’t turned as I’m pretty sure another club will be offering him substantially more than us now he APPEARS to have his injury issues sorted.

I think, a bit like an alcoholic only ever being a drink away from lapsing, Daniel Welbeck is only a game away from an injury that will keep him sidelined for a while.

The 27 games he started for us last year is the most he has played since the 2017/18 season with Arsenal.

If a club is prepared to take a similar chance on him spending substantial parts of the season unavailable or if he is just wanted as a back up then they will come for him. Equally he needs to be prepared to spend a long time sitting on his arse for his extra money, as I doubt many teams would take him as a first choice striker, unless they are desperate, like us!

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I think, a bit like an alcoholic only ever being a drink away from lapsing, Daniel Welbeck is only a game away from an injury that will keep him sidelined for a while.

That thinking can apply to absolutely any player ! The nature of his injuries this season have been muscular and I wouldn’t be surprised if Adam Webster missed more games than Welbz this season but nobody has any concerns over his fitness / availability

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That thinking can apply to absolutely any player ! The nature of his injuries this season have been muscular and I wouldn’t be surprised if Adam Webster missed more games than Welbz this season but nobody has any concerns over his fitness / availability

Erm, not sure you can say "no-one has any concerns" re Adam Webster's injuries - plenty have voiced their concerns on here. I would also imagine the club are concerned about his injuries and probably manage his game time and support around this. The same can be said of Tariq Lamptey.

Until we sold Dan Burn and having an apparent surplus of central defenders, Webster's absence wasn't heavily detailed.

Daniel Welbeck on the other hand, as a striker, in a team short of goals, has been needed, so we were prepared to give him the extra time and cosseting he needs - I'm not convinced his injury days are behind him, just because they are mainly muscular.

I would have thought "muscular" was quite an important part of being a professional footballer and probably more worrying a repetitive injury than an unfortunate player who breaks a leg or similar injuries.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

The 27 games he started for us last year is the most he has played since the 2017/18 season with Arsenal.

If a club is prepared to take a similar chance on him spending substantial parts of the season unavailable or if he is just wanted as a back up then they will come for him. Equally he needs to be prepared to spend a long time sitting on his arse for his extra money, as I doubt many teams would take him as a first choice striker, unless they are desperate, like us!

Since he had surgery in October and then returned to the squad on Boxing Day Danny has been involved in every Premier League match day squad, playing in every game except Everton away where he was an unused sub. There was real optimism from the club that the surgery was going to fix the persistent problem he'd been having with his hamstring and this really does seem to be the case. Hopefully the fact we've got him the fittest he's been in years and he's clearly enjoying his football here will make it a no brainer for him to sign the new deal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Since he had surgery in October and then returned to the squad on Boxing Day Danny has been involved in every Premier League match day squad, playing in every game except Everton away where he was an unused sub. There was real optimism from the club that the surgery was going to fix the persistent problem he'd been having with his hamstring and this really does seem to be the case. Hopefully the fact we've got him the fittest he's been in years and he's clearly enjoying his football here will make it a no brainer for him to sign the new deal.

Like you I hope he signs a further deal. I'm not sure what loyalty is like in football, but you would like to think that if we have "fixed" a 31 year old striker with a recent history of injuries then he should be happy with the earlier mentioned £45k per week, or put another way £2.3 million per annum, or for turn out this season £86k per game. :D

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's wildly optimistic to suggest that Danny will now go injury free. He's never been able to achieve this through his career.

We'll manage his minutes more effectively than a lot of clubs, but inevitably he will lose a lot of time through niggly injuries. We're bringing Undav in, so we should be covered numbers-wise, but the suggestions that he'll now be asking for 100k p/w or we should consider paying it or lose him to one of the big boys are nonsense. He's at the right club now to see out his playing days.

I'm confident he will sign and he'll be able to contribute to our next couple of seasons.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thank you for posting this. The alternative views on Welbeck's 'perma-injury' neglect this crucial snippet of information. It's worth also adding that it was the infrastructure at B&HA -- in this instance, the medical team -- that diagnosed and corrected this long-term injury, and not that at Watford or Arsenal or potentially United.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This would be how you’d want the contract set.

£30pw basic with £30k EPL goal bonus and £15k EPL appearance bonus.

I know nothing about contracts, but do they seriously have goal bonuses? Sounds like a terrible idea. Not much incentive to pass to that player in space when its going to cost you 30 grand.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I know nothing about contracts, but do they seriously have goal bonuses? Sounds like a terrible idea. Not much incentive to pass to that player in space when its going to cost you 30 grand.

Yes Goal bonuses are a real thing, as are Assist and Clean Sheet bonuses which may also be in a contract.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Some talk in Turkey this morning that he’s been approached by MKE Ankaragücü about playing in the Super League with them next season.

He seems happy here, and given the troubles that league has it’s unlikely he’ll leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here