Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weirdest things you've eaten

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Especially for all you Aussie Seagulls and other Albion fans who either live or have travelled to far flung places, what's the weirdest delicacy you've ever eaten?

I'll start, so here's a shot of me eating tarantula in Cambodia. Tasted of Marmite and after the initial panic, was actually really nice!

scan6ce.jpg

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Think we might have done this one before, have eaten guinea pig in Peru, game in Africa (zebra, hippo, crocodile, etc). The wierdest and most disgusting thing I ever tried was sea urchin in Thailand, looked and tasted revolting.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Gully said:
Think we might have done this one before, have eaten guinea pig in Peru, game in Africa (zebra, hippo, crocodile, etc). The wierdest and most disgusting thing I ever tried was sea urchin in Thailand, looked and tasted revolting.

I keep pet guniea pigs! how could you? :ohmy:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gully said:
Think we might have done this one before
Oops, sorry. Oh well...

Sea urchin - can't imagine what that must be like. Had snake gallbladder wine in Hong Kong a few years back. They skinned it, plucked out its gallbladder, squeezed the blue juice into a petri dish, added rice wine and got me to knock it back. All while the poor snake was still writhing around in a basket. Very surreal. And gloopy.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
When I was a kid we had pet rabbits and chickens, hasn't stopped me eating either of those meats, mind you I have never eaten an animal that was kept as a pet, yet!!!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sea urchin looked like a small sliver of cod roe, except that it was a dark brown colour, that was all we ate from the thing, the shell and spines were chucked back in the sea. It tasted really salty and of something else that I can't really describe, the only thing I can think of that rivalled it for foulness of taste is sour milk.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Ate reindeer meat whilst in Helsinki, actually tasted rather nice, similar to kebab meat.

Had bear steak in Russia - very tough type of beef. Not pleasant.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Did you eat the rest of the snake?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
sorry but I just couldnt and wouldnt try any of those everyone has mentioned!

why the fook would anyone want to eat a tarantula?!!! its just not right!

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Gully said:
When I was a kid we had pet rabbits and chickens, hasn't stopped me eating either of those meats, mind you I have never eaten an animal that was kept as a pet, yet!!!

Apparently when my dad was a youngste, him and his siblings all used to have a 'pet' chicken, one day they came down to find that they'd all been killed and were sitting ready in their dinner places for them to all tuck into.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gully said:
Did you eat the rest of the snake?
Yeah, they made it into soup, rather like chicken soup. The shop was full of wooden sideboards, every drawer crammed full of live snakes. The owner would open up, select a snake and do whatever the customer wanted on the menu. Very strange.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Blimey, not sure that I would want to try snake, mind you idle curiousity starts to creep in...

The only things that I draw a line at are veal and dog, so far...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Race said:
sorry but I just couldnt and wouldnt try any of those everyone has mentioned!

why the fook would anyone want to eat a tarantula?!!! its just not right!
It was a local speciality. Villagers dedicated themselves to selling deep-fried spiders to anyone who passed. And they were bloody popular. All the locals scoffed them down. The hairy legs were the most frightening parts!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Gully said:
Blimey, not sure that I would want to try snake, mind you idle curiousity starts to creep in...

The only things that I draw a line at are veal and dog, so far...

dog :ohmy: you would never!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Saw a survival programme once and this bloke made an omelette and put chopped worms in it, apparently they had the same consistency as ham when cooked and didn't taste too bad either.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No Race, I definitely would not eat dog.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...anyway there wouldn't be much meat on a chihuahua cutlet...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gully said:
...anyway there wouldn't be much meat on a chihuahua cutlet...
:lolol:

Frightening how much dog meat is available over there, though. In Laos, their dogs aren't pets, they're livestock. And when they're working life is over (hunting etc) the people kill and eat the dogs too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here