Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weirdest album

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What's the weirdest album you've got? I'm playing "Jan and Dean Meet Batman" at the moment, which is quite bizarre in a bat-tastic kind of way.

LPJanDean.jpg

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull was a bit different. Just the one track and the cover was a newspaper.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Most of the strange ones I ever bought came from the 'The Cottage' record shop in Brighton in the 70s. A few that spring to mind are:

Phallus Dei by Amon Duul II
The Polite Force by Egg
Camembert Electrique by Gong

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Mine would have to be either City Slab Horror by the Severed Heads or the Scotland 1978 World Cup Squad album;

"we're off to Argentina
it's time to do or die
England cannae do it
Cause they didnae qualify"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Syd Barrett - Barrett. Weird as hell but the guy still had an amazing talent even with a brain scrambled on acid.

An effervescing elephant
With tiny eyes, and great big trunk
Once whispered to the tiny ears
The ears of one inferior
That by next june he’d die, oh yeah!
Because the tiger would roam
And the little one said oh my goodness I must stay at home
And everytime I hear a growl
I’ll know the tiger’s on the prowl
And I’ll be really safe you know
The elephant he told me so
And everyone was nervvy, oh yeah!
And the message was spread
To zebra, mongoose, and the dirty hippopotamus
Who wollowed in the mud and chewed
His spicy hippoplancton food
And tended to ignore the word
Prefering to survey a herd
Of stupid water bison, oh yeah!
And the jungle took fright
And ran around for all the day and the night
But all in vain because you see
The tiger came and said to me,
You know I wouldn’t hurt not one of you
I much prefer something to chew
You’re all too scant, oh yeah!
He ate the elephant...

Icy Gull said:
Syd Barrett - Barrett. Weird as hell but the guy still had an amazing talent even with a brain scrambled on acid.

It's often wondered "what might have been" had Syd kept his sanity, and stayed off the acid.
He apparently had his coffee dosed with crazy amounts of LSD every morning for 3 months straight by his flatmates, who thought that because he was a musician and artist he could go 'further out there'. Well he did, he just couldn't get back! :nono:

After the first Pink Floyd LP and the three first singles, which document his strange and wonderful imagination in music, it was a crime that some pratt took him out of it like that.

Something similar happened to Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac, by some Germans who 'looked after' him for a couple of days, and he was never the same again either.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I would agree with the mentions of Zappa and Amon Duul, but really those guys set out to be weird. You can add the Residents and Tuxedo Moon to that list. But I was thinking more of albums that accidently left you scratching your head.

jazzy

Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull was a bit different. Just the one track and the cover was a newspaper.
One of my all time favourite albums.

For weird albums- I've got 'Lord of the Rings' by Bo Hansson. Released in late 70's/ early 80's I think.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
for pure 70's weirdness AND a phallic connection

ive got MICHAEL MOORCOCK and the deep fix
NEW WORLDS FAIR
he was a science fantasy author who also wrote lots of stuff for hawkwind.the whole album is set about a post appocaliptic fun fair.with lyrics dripping in radiation sores and mangled flesh.

so its not the best choice for a pick-me-up after a cold wet defeat at withdean.so choose your saturday night listening more carefully than the last time it got played

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
2 Hype To Wype, by Hawd Azz Gangstuh Rappaz With Gatz.

Very weird, although also incredibly shite.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
"Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms" by the Doctors of Madness. A truly weird album.

:drink: :drink:

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
184437.jpg

But anything by Lord Buckley beats that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here