Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Website Building

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
anyone use anything else apart from dreamweaver for building sites that they could recommend?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
tommy boy said:
dreamweaver is the best imo

*waits for MYOB to explain why dreamweaver is crap*

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Shropshire Seagull said:
I did one in MS Front Page a few years back - just took one of their standard templates and tweeked it.

Did the job.

Some hosting companies either do not accept front page extensions or charge extra for them.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I usually just use a text editor and keep refreshing it in the browser.

nomad

Jan 3, 2005
all over the place
free ones are free because they are generally crap.

Dreamweaver is the best - it automatically shows whats wroing wiuth scripting and where it is.

Some peoile thinkits crap because wheni it does this you cant actually see the problem when you load it up in IE - however dreamweaver is highlighting problems that IE looks over but will show up in another browser such as Firefox or safari.

I have had a little play with GoDesign - which is cool but can't realy replace Dreanweaver as InDesign has/will Quark (in print media). It is a good alternative though.

If you are learning HTML from scratch then i'd suggest what Ramdgo does and learn in Notepad and then refresh in a browser to get you used to the basics - and then when you progress you can upgrade to someting like dreamweaver which you can create like a word document but you will have the Knowledge to tweak any errors or add in extra lines of html quickly and easily.

HTH

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dreamweaver or Nvu

Both have the advantage that their in-app display engines are NOT Internet Explorer, hence you know your site will work right - Dreamweaver uses Opera and Nvu uses Firefox.

Nvu is free, BTW.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
MYOB said:
Dreamweaver or Nvu

Both have the advantage that their in-app display engines are NOT Internet Explorer, hence you know your site will work right - Dreamweaver uses Opera and Nvu uses Firefox.

Nvu is free, BTW.
So is dreamwevaer if you know where to look

re-al

May 22, 2004
Southend
making websites is a lot of graphic making and then putting it together in 1 massive table

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Try Web Studio, thats what i use, and is fine at around £80.... compared to Dreamweaver at about £300.

My site: www.fishingphoto.net

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Wardywonderland said:
So is dreamwevaer if you know where to look

and where would that be? I'd like a freebie dreamweaver!

I run a site built with Front Page. It's easy to use, if you can use Word you can soon find your way round it. HTML gets a bit strange but I clean it up with HTML tidyonline.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
adrian29uk said:
I have been designing websites for years, take it from me NVU is a pile of crap. If you want speed and ease of use, try dreamweaver you wont want to use anything else.

If you use, err, actually I can't think of a platform that has Nvu and no other tools...

*checks* OS/2. If you use OS/2, its an incredible tool. It does the job well, although the pre-0.70 PHP-eating bug was damn annoying. It'll be interesting to see where Glazman brings it by 1.0

However, Dreamweaver is the king, but its expensive. On Linux, Quanta or Quanta Pro is the best choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here