Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We wun't be druv

We wun't be druv

• Yes. Everyone in Sussex knows what it means

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Heard of it but didn't know the meaning.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Nope, never heard of it.

Votes: 63 79.7%

• Total voters

Not, "Do you think it was a good title to the leaflet". But had you heard of it before?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Never heard of it and a bit daft but it didn't feature at all on the day itself so...so what?

Man of Harveys said:
Never heard of it and a bit daft but it didn't feature at all on the day itself so...so what?

On another thread it was suggested that everyone in Sussex knows this saying. Sorry if it is a shit poll but I wondered if it is me being stupid or if everyone else is also as ignorant as I obviously am.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Sounds like a pub quiz question..

What does 'We wun't be druv' mean?

And then watching all the old-timers CREAMING themselves at their tables because they know the answer straight off..

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've never hear dof it, when I saw the flyer I just thought what the f*** is this. Welsh or something

I thought it was just me being stupid. I have absolutely no idea what Wunt Be Druv means, and I'm Sussex to the core. If it's "We Won't Be Driven", then from where, and why not? Surely we want to be driven from Withdean to Falmer, preferably in a nice car, via Lewes, with Ann De Vecchi strapped to the roof on a crucifix.

Strange because all the previous Falmer campaign posters and stuff have been really sharp.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Thought it was some kind of text speak. Never heard it before.

I don't want this thread to be a criticism of the leaflet. A lot of hard work went into it while I was sitting on my lazy fat arse doing nothing as usual. Perhaps I shouldn't of started it but I was just being nosey.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
No no no no no no no no no.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It was not the best slogan.

We didnt know what it meant till we looked at the programme!

I liked the idea but it shouldnt need translating.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lokki 7 said:
I don't want this thread to be a criticism of the leaflet. A lot of hard work went into it while I was sitting on my lazy fat arse doing nothing as usual. Perhaps I shouldn't of started it but I was just being nosey.
Same here - I'm not having a pop, because I know the hard work that goes into this sort of thing. In the great scheme of things its just a tiny point really.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Would it have caught the attention of the old fogey non-believers though? Perhaps that was the point.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
from the southern couties website

"I also think that true Sussex people have a distinct character, not just dialect. It's well known that Sussex people can be pretty stubborn in nature and won't do anything against their inclination. The following line is from the above book and relates to not only Sussex people but the county as a whole!!

You may push and you may shov
But I'm hemmed if I'll be druv

...For Sussex will be Sussex, and Sussex won't be druv."

the meaning is

WE SUSSEX PEOPLE ARE NOT CATTLE we can be led,encouraged,or asked.but a true sussex man will never be hearded bullied or drived.

so ASK nicely and we will help you out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here