Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We wun't be druv

We wun't be druv

• Yes. Everyone in Sussex knows what it means

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Heard of it but didn't know the meaning.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Nope, never heard of it.

Votes: 63 79.7%

• Total voters

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
no source,just quoted as traditional but.

'All folks as come to Sussex
Must follow Sussex wyas,
And when they've larned
to know us well
There's no place else
they'd wish to dwell
In all their blessed days.
There ant no place like Sussex
Until you goes Above,
But Sussex will be Sussex,
And Sussex won't be druv

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
it is also the unoficial moto of the LEWES BONFIRE COUNCIL

so the enemies of the stadium should be well aware of it.

taken from thier website

. What is chiefly celebrated is a pride in freedom and independence, stemming from an innate dislike of being dictated to by outsiders - be they foreign powers, or any who attempt unfairly to exert their authority or influence. It is not for nothing that the unofficial motto of Sussex (of which Lewes is the County Town) is "We won't be druv!" The major act of remembrance nowadays is that for the dead of the two World Wars, each Society in turn laying a wreath at the War Memorial. Although some societies in particular pay homage to the old traditions, with effigies of Pope Paul V (Camillo Borghese, Pope at the time of the Gunpowder Plot) and Guy Fawkes exploding in a blaze of fireworks, Bonfire is certainly no longer a Protestant festival, and Roman Catholics and people of all beliefs participate freely in the celebrations

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
Interesting. So the Sussex accent was a bit weird in the old days then. Not like our whiney, nasal Brighton tones nowadays then.
Maybe we should adopt the old lingo, and become really stubborn, unwelcoming and obtuse. Like the Cornish :lolol:
Unwelcoming is not the same as stubborn. Look at Lord B, you don't get much more Sussex Born, Sussex Bred than living in Sticksville for most of your life. As someone who's roots lie pretty firmly in Sussex I'm probably one of the younger people to understand it.

Quick question to prove lack of dialect knowledge. Anyone know what a Spudger is?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I quite liked it, I suppose it works as most of us have had to ask a question, hopefully thats what non Albion fans would do so at least its a talking point.

Anything is worth a try.

It also emphasises that we are not all shaven headed stone island wearing 20 pints of Stella before a game types that residents of a tiny village (pop 14 inbreds) would have you believe :jester:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Woodchip said:
Unwelcoming is not the same as stubborn. Look at Lord B, you don't get much more Sussex Born, Sussex Bred than living in Sticksville for most of your life. As someone who's roots lie pretty firmly in Sussex I'm probably one of the younger people to understand it.

Quick question to prove lack of dialect knowledge. Anyone know what a Spudger is?
A child? And I don't think Lord B was actually born in Sussex... but he's certainly Sussex bred!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Of course I have heard of it I have relatives in Roffey and Chichester

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you are born in Brighton then your accent is different to other places in Sussex. It is a more working class , urban accent and you only have to travel a few miles to towns likes Horsham and Burgess Hill to hear a Sussex (agricultural yokel) accent especially from anyone over 60. If you listen to Albion fans , there are variations in their accents depending on where they live. If they have a Sussex lilt it's odds on they were not born in Brighton as we sound more mockney.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Woodchip said:

sparrow

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A piece of wood you stick in a threshing machine when it gets jammed ?

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Yes, heard of it, indeed I make it as a fiery piece to be carried in one of the Cliffe processions.

Quite ironic that it is probably best known in Lewes as it has strong Bonfire connotations.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Woodchip said:
Anyone know what a Spudger is?
Is it a man's PENIS? Like the word "todger"?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is it the colloquial term for the last piece of apple pie left over from dinner that goes in the fridge for "next time" and is never eaten and ends up looking like one of madame Curie's experiments?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here