Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We Want Falmer"

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This will be last post on the matter as I can see we're never going to agree on the subject :)
A couple of points though:

This book was, I believe, intended as a celebration of our collective achievements. The OP is right to a point about mutual back-slapping, but then again - so what?

607 was really about the collective achievements of the bomber crews so not dissimilar.

You could have it written by a neutral journalist or a writer, and they would be able to add comment and opinion, but that would be from the perspective of one person, rather than this format which has the perspective of over 40 individuals who were there.

Most authors would have some passion for a subject or find it engaging enough want to research and write a book about it. So any author wouldn't just be a gun for hire.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
You'll also see a young looking Biscuit too!

Yes thats the photo. I'm trying to remember the other in the photo. If my memory is right, there was Fatboy, a young couple called Filthy and Poke, a lad called Turkey and i think Biscuit was his twin brother. So the guy with the beard is Lord B off here?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As the author states, the WWF content takes place over a TWELVE year period and there was so much to cram in. Bear in mind BaB takes place over just a 2-3 year period.

Personally I think it's an excellent companion to BaB. But I may be biased!!!

In my view, any literature that documents any part of Albion's history is a worthy addition....even Gullhanger and all it's sarcasm that grates page after page!!

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
You could have it written by a neutral journalist or a writer, and they would be able to add comment and opinion, but that would be from the perspective of one person.The OP is right to a point about mutual back-slapping, but then again - so what?

Exactly, I thought it would have been better as a story. It's like reading a series of headlines with no content. It's just an opinion, I'm not doubting anyone's integrity or loyalty.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I believe even in the preamble that the whole book was supposed to be a celebration so yes there is mutual back slapping. Rightly so.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, I thought it would have been better as a story. It's like reading a series of headlines with no content. It's just an opinion, I'm not doubting anyone's integrity or loyalty.

The idea was to let the people involved tell the story in their own words as we found from Build a Bonfire that when people speak about something they care about they are often alot more eloquent than a writer. The story has been well documented elsewhere, so we felt that to hear it in the fans own voices would be the right way to reflect the spirit of the campaign, but I accept that the format might not be to everyone's tastes. You seem to have backtracked from your original ignorant 12 people back slapping comment, which is what pissed me off.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
My contrbution was a few emails and letters sent and the odd march or two ,there is no way I would want to be in the book compared to the titanic slog that thoses guy and girls put in ,I would gladly slap them on the back every day and they deserve all the praise for their dedication and resolve...more importantly lets hope the club never forgets what they did .

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Whoah! I didn't realise my opinion was less worthy than yours.
It wasnt your opinion that was wrong. Of course you're completely entitled to not like the book, but I just thought the tone of that specific comment was snide and factually incorrect, as much towards the people in the book as the writers. If thats not what you meant then apologies.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I thoroughly enjoyed wwf, my 9 year old is itching to read bab and wwf in a few years time :)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've only just got around to reading this book, and I was pretty disappointed with it. It seems like the authors got a dozen "Faces" together for some mutual back slapping. The Build a Bonfire book was a bit like that but this one seems even more so. There's definitely not enough mention of the thousands of fans who did their bit by writing letters and attending meetings and such like. Does anyone else have an opinion on the book?

I would imagine that every single person featured in WWF would say (and do say) that the campaign would not have gone anywhere if they hadn't had thousands of people standing alongside them. To the best of my knowledge one of the few things - apart from a love of the Albion - that the activists had in common was that they were all pretty self-effacing. And all of them, I'd guess, are happy just to be 'ordinary supporters' again because that was all any of them ever wanted to be.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Yes thats the photo. I'm trying to remember the other in the photo. If my memory is right, there was Fatboy, a young couple called Filthy and Poke, a lad called Turkey and i think Biscuit was his twin brother. So the guy with the beard is Lord B off here?

Yes it was Lord B, Turkey is Biscuits older brother and Biscuit is my older brother!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
There's definitely not enough mention of the thousands of fans who did their bit by writing letters and attending meetings and such like.

I've yet to read it but I might suggest that a book about people sending letters and attending meetings might be a little dull.

No, I was insinuating it was Ken Bates!
Now that IS libellous.

What I remember about that Clock Tower event was the young lad who was asked to sign the petition and promptly wrote the words "Jake Robinson" on the sheet of paper. There's nothing wrong will failing to recognise fellow fans, but you'd think folk might be able to identify a player!

....Well I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed "BAB" and consider that it is worth a read by anyone, even if they don't follow the Albion or have any interest in football just to learn of the financial shenanigans that some people get up to and the worthy souls who don't give up in trying to find them out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here