Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We should be negotiating with Iran

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Dougal said:
the only thing we should be negotiating with is nuclear bombs. Flatten the lot !
:clap: Good shout, while we're at it we should just nuke the whole region including all the oil. No more oil, no more muslim extremists in charge, no more arguements and we can just forget this sorry situation ever happened

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
goldstone said:
Yes they are, but we've still got to sit down and talk to them ... unfortunately.

but how can you engage in reasoned and tolerant discourse when the people with whom you are trying to negotiate believe that the koran is the word of god and so should be upheld to the letter, that everything is the will of allah, and that anyone who does not believe in allah is going to hell.

religious people are quite literally unreasonable. islam and western liberalism are totally incommensurable. we are best off just leaving them the f*** alone.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Tesco in Disguise said:
but how can you engage in reasoned and tolerant discourse when the people with whom you are trying to negotiate believe that the koran is the word of god and so should be upheld to the letter, that everything is the will of allah, and that anyone who does not believe in allah is going to hell.

religious people are quite literally unreasonable. islam and western liberalism are totally incommensurable. we are best off just leaving them the f*** alone.

Oh where do I start with the last two ignorant resplies. If you want to bomb all the muslims, with youýr argument you will have to also bomb large swathes of US land where the Christian fundamentalists are.... you should also bomb Poland where there is a strong rise in Catholic fundamentalism (read your papers lately gentleman?)... also if we 're talking 'faith' here I believe certain politicals views are faiths so better also bomb North Korea as they are as fanatical in their beliefs as elsewhere. OH and by the way if it's ALL MUSLÝMS, better bomb Indonesia, Pakistan, large parts of India, Malaysia, Bosnia, Albania, Kosovo, parts of Russia all the Turkic states and Turkey of course... oh and parts of northern greece, some parts of Romania and Bulgaria....

got the message yet? If not how about parts of Nortehrn England like Bradford?

Not all Muslims are fanataical and not only Muslims are fanatical. There is a world outside of the pages of a Sun newspaper.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Tesco in Disguise said:

I do not actually believe that the leaders of most of these countries are that inflexible. Yes they're muslims and no doubt they read the koran, but they're also realists when it comes to international matters.

I do agree that we should leave them alone. Our armed forces have no business charging around in boats near Iranian territorial waters and have no business being in Iraq. The sooner we're out of there the less opportunity for things like this to happen.

I heard today that Ahmadinejad was one of the "students" that storned the US Embassy and took its staff hostage in 1979.

And look what happened. The US made to look foolish, and the Iranians walk away without a stain on their character.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Oh where do I start with the last two ignorant resplies. If you want to bomb all the muslims, with youýr argument you will have to also bomb large swathes of US land where the Christian fundamentalists are.... you should also bomb Poland where there is a strong rise in Catholic fundamentalism (read your papers lately gentleman?)... also if we 're talking 'faith' here I believe certain politicals views are faiths so better also bomb North Korea as they are as fanatical in their beliefs as elsewhere. OH and by the way if it's ALL MUSLÝMS, better bomb Indonesia, Pakistan, large parts of India, Malaysia, Bosnia, Albania, Kosovo, parts of Russia all the Turkic states and Turkey of course... oh and parts of northern greece, some parts of Romania and Bulgaria....

Not all Muslims are fanataical and not only Muslims are fanatical. There is a world outside of the pages of a Sun newspaper.

for the love of g-d, sully, you couldn't have missed my point more. i'm not some belligerent right-winger seeking to rid the world of muslims. i don't want to BOMB anyone. what i'm saying, if you bothered to take a word in, is that religious doctrine and western liberalism are incompatbile, so it is fruitless to try and get these two perspectives to agree on basic principles.

liberalism is not a 'faith' in the way religion is. it is not just another doctrine advocating that its way is the truth and the light. rather, it is the absence of this proselytisation.

finally, i certainly wouldn't single muslims out as being the only enemies of liberalism. catholics, prothestants and jews are all (as long as they follow the words of their gods precisely) all follow illiberal teachings. my proposal is that the uk does not meddle in the affairs of nations that are built on these tenets and adopt an isolationist position in these cases.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Juan Albion said:
Thanks very much.

i'm sorry, but you are. secular individuals can appeal to scientific fact for argument. this argument then changes when truths are exposed as being incorrect. religious folk appeal to historic texts to substantiate their argument. these texts never change and so neither do the views of those those who belive these texts to be the truth. as such, you cannot be 'reasoned with', in the true sense of the term.

but whatever works for you.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
More jaw-jaw less war-war. This has stood the test of time. So as soon as you say there is no point you are in trouble. You talk to identify what unintes you, common interests, and attain an understanding - so that in times of tension you are able to understand each other.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don`t understand why we cannot stand shoulder to shoulder with Iran and the people of Iraq.

Why we cannot unite with people of Argentina and welcome the Chinese, the North koreans and both the Catholics and Protestants of Northern Ireland.

We can then encourage the Germans and the French to march forward with us and our new found friends and unite together and

ATTACK THE PAKISTANIS..................

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the news they said that Iran want an apology from Bliar to release the sailors.

Why can't he just say the ship did not knowingly enter Irans waters and if it did it was a mistake and we apologise. How many times do you say sorry, especuilly as children, without really meaning it but using it as an out from further punishment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
BensGrandad said:
On the news they said that Iran want an apology from Bliar to release the sailors.

Why can't he just say the ship did not knowingly enter Irans waters and if it did it was a mistake and we apologise. How many times do you say sorry, especuilly as children, without really meaning it but using it as an out from further punishment.

.........................................................................................
Please can we have our ball back Mr Brown.

And we are sorry that we went into your garden without your permission.

(gets ball back then runs off doing v`s up and shouting Mr Browns a bender)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bomb the bastards. :angry:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dick Knights Mumm said:
More jaw-jaw less war-war. This has stood the test of time. So as soon as you say there is no point you are in trouble. You talk to identify what unintes you, common interests, and attain an understanding - so that in times of tension you are able to understand each other.

Then you get George to nuke the godamn sonofbitches.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions said:
I don`t understand why we cannot stand shoulder to shoulder with Iran and the people of Iraq.

Why we cannot unite with people of Argentina and welcome the Chinese, the North koreans and both the Catholics and Protestants of Northern Ireland.

We can then encourage the Germans and the French to march forward with us and our new found friends and unite together and

ATTACK THE PAKISTANIS..................

Apologies for the above joke as I realise that not only is it offensive but bad timing as I have just found out we have a Pakistani in our family tree.

mind you he`s paying to stay in my 7 year olds our tree house so I shouldn`t complain.

Googlewak

Mar 16, 2007
Hailsham
Tesco in Disguise said:
religious people are quite literally unreasonable. islam and western liberalism are totally incommensurable.

I remember hearing somwthing similar on telly a while ago "Good people do goog things, Bad people do bad things but religion makes good people do bad things" and i totally agree with that, if they wernt into all there allah crap none of this would be happening.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Googlewak said:
I remember hearing somwthing similar on telly a while ago "Good people do goog things, Bad people do bad things but religion makes good people do bad things" and i totally agree with that, if they wernt into all there allah crap none of this would be happening.

Must be true then if you heard it on the telly.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:

It just goes to show how much bombing has yet to be done.........what an earth is our Government waitng for....:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I reckon the Iranians will hold the sailors till early May,when Blair is expected to announce his resignation. This will screw up his "legacy" as he will leave office with 15 British personnel in captivity.

Then it will leave a nasty problem for his successor. Then they will suddenly release them, and make out that Brown capitulated, and is in their pocket, making it embarrasing for him, and weakening his position in the Middle East before he has even started.

This probably won't happen at all, but is what I would do if I was in charge in Iran :jester:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here