Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We only want a point against the Czech Republic

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Old Scottish players all coming out banging on about how Scotland are now a brilliant team.

Why do they of all countries do this? They've been saying this about their rugby team for about a decade and they're still ranked 8th!

I don't know anyone who says England are brilliant or thinks it privately.

Only Scotland could be sitting on 1 point at the bottom of the group but be world beaters.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Old Scottish players all coming out banging on about how Scotland are now a brilliant team.

Why do they of all countries do this? They've been saying this about their rugby team for about a decade and they're still ranked 8th!

Only Scotland could be sitting on 1 point at the bottom of the group but be world beaters.

Not willing to try and piss on their parade, the other night must have been fantastic for them. Good luck to them, immense performance. I totally get the euphoria, I’m an Albion fan and have got carried away like that few times :wink:

My expectations for England are so low that I refuse to get carried away, even when we get a very occasional shock result

The trouble with the Scots is, that when you are so bereft of any international success, the slightest glimmer of achievement sends them totally over the top.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Probably not the majority view but I'd rather we lost to Spain/Germany/Portugal than Sweden! Trying to manage your route through the tournament doesn't make you a better team (or coach). We got to the semis of the world cup by doing that but lost to the two good teams we came up against. Southgate's CV will show he got to a semi final yet we all know when it mattered, ie against Belgium, he bottled it.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Generally in the 3rd group game England tend to get their act together and go for a win. But usually that's because they have to. This time, another dull draw will get us through (and even losing probably will, providing its not by many goals).

Whatever happens, the matches get more interesting from the next weekend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
agreed. playing naive gung ho football never got us anywhere. We have adaped better to international football, keep the ball better and give nothing away at the back.

How many times did we use to moan about giving away silly goals and players losing their heads at tournaments which ultimately cost us? people need to look at the bigger picture

Generally speaking nothing ever got you anywhere

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think the world cup and similar tournaments would be much more fun if done on an FA Cup basis. Every game is a win or you're out. None of this playing safe nonsense.

I appreciate that would take some planning, but it has to be possible.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can you really see G/S getting the sack ? Spud's can't get a manager so what chance England ? Is Mike Bassert available ?

Depends on how well we do or dont do in this competition. Hopefully things will change and this will all be academic...... but if it is another poor disjointed showing v the Czechs and Out at the round of 16 then he should go imho. Will the F.A do it, probably not........ but as i mentioned on another thread, Potter would be better (though I don't want to damage Albion) even so I doubt he would be chosen due compensation.
The modern manager, who is great at developing players, speaks well, is into the motivational messaging stuff and I guess would be a good man manager and create a good environment, who is an FA type, controversy free straight guy.......... and is available without compensation, that man is Eddie Howe.

I'd take him in heartbeat personally and think he'd be ideal (if we were looking for an alternative)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

I can't speak for all my countrymen, but i don't know anyone who even expects us to get through the group never mind be world beaters :lolol:
We had a fantastic result (for us) against you guys the other night, so allow us our moment in the sun, is that too much to ask.

If and it's a huge IF we beat Croatia on Tuesday, we will come 3rd in the group, unless there is a big victory one way or the other in Englands game, and i EXPECT we will miss out on the 4 best 3rd places on goal difference or even goals scored, not exactly the thinking of world beaters now, is it.

England on the other hand, most opinions i have seen EXPECT to win the group, and if you can get past the tricky round of 16 game, well, nothing to fear is there?, but unlike you i'm not slagging anyone off for thinking they are "world beaters" because England do have as much talent as anyone else in the tournament, they can win it, but if you don't play with more belief and with tactics to get the best out of the wonderful array of attacking talent you have then you have no chance.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
well i think if we lost 1-0 and scotland win 2-0 then three teams would have 4 points and we would miss out on goal difference ! ???

But would qualify as a best placed third team.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the world cup and similar tournaments would be much more fun if done on an FA Cup basis. Every game is a win or you're out. None of this playing safe nonsense.

I appreciate that would take some planning, but it has to be possible.

Sounds good but you would have the situation where a team will fly half way around the world and lose so only get one game.

Personally, I think the current world cup format is ok.

With regard to the Euros, I'd extend it to 28 teams so you have 7 groups of 4 and then you only have the two best third place finishers go through to the knockout rather than the current situation where only two third place teams go home.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can't speak for all my countrymen, but i don't know anyone who even expects us to get through the group never mind be world beaters :lolol:
We had a fantastic result (for us) against you guys the other night, so allow us our moment in the sun, is that too much to ask.

If and it's a huge IF we beat Croatia on Tuesday, we will come 3rd in the group, unless there is a big victory one way or the other in Englands game, and i EXPECT we will miss out on the 4 best 3rd places on goal difference or even goals scored, not exactly the thinking of world beaters now, is it.

England on the other hand, most opinions i have seen EXPECT to win the group, and if you can get past the tricky round of 16 game, well, nothing to fear is there?, but unlike you i'm not slagging anyone off for thinking they are "world beaters" because England do have as much talent as anyone else in the tournament, they can win it, but if you don't play with more belief and with tactics to get the best out of the wonderful array of attacking talent you have then you have no chance.

You were excellent on Friday, the better team overall and won the midfield battle which for England was pretty non existent. But you highlight England's issues at the end pretty well, the tactics and the personnel.
Picking players because they havent let you down before (whatever their club form) is not the same as picking the best players to make a balanced team who are in form.
England got the tactics all wrong. Its alleged in the press that Reece James and Luke Shaw were told not to go to far forward?? (as they do for their clubs), Kane was isolated, and how often there was a huge gaping hole in the middle filled by your excellent midfield who controlled it, was simply poor management from an England perspective. Potter has done it, got the formation in a game wrong, but in his defense he usually spots it quickly and isnt afraid to switch formations to counter what is happening. England never did, just stuck with what was clearly not working and made like for like changes.

Scotland deserve all the plaudits for their performance but (and I say this with all due respect on individuals players and the clubs they play for) I dont think you'd have Tuchel setting up to play at Stamford Bridge versus a Brighton or Bristol City with 2 defensive mids, an isolated lone striker and wing backs told not to advance.

On paper because they're at home and have a better squad England should win, on the night because Clarke got it tactically spot on and Southgate got it so wrong, and Scotland were the only ones playing as a team, Scotland should've won.

I know most Scots probably hope we fail, I hope you beat Croatia and get to the last 16. Good luck

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
You were excellent on Friday, the better team overall and won the midfield battle which for England was pretty non existent. But you highlight England's issues at the end pretty well, the tactics and the personnel.
Picking players because they havent let you down before (whatever their club form) is not the same as picking the best players to make a balanced team who are in form.
England got the tactics all wrong. Its alleged in the press that Reece James and Luke Shaw were told not to go to far forward?? (as they do for their clubs), Kane was isolated, and how often there was a huge gaping hole in the middle filled by your excellent midfield who controlled it, was simply poor management from an England perspective. Potter has done it, got the formation in a game wrong, but in his defense he usually spots it quickly and isnt afraid to switch formations to counter what is happening. England never did, just stuck with what was clearly not working and made like for like changes.

Scotland deserve all the plaudits for their performance but (and I say this with all due respect on individuals players and the clubs they play for) I dont think you'd have Tuchel setting up to play at Stamford Bridge versus a Brighton or Bristol City with 2 defensive mids, an isolated lone striker and wing backs told not to advance.

On paper because they're at home and have a better squad England should win, on the night because Clarke got it tactically spot on and Southgate got it so wrong, and Scotland were the only ones playing as a team, Scotland should've won.

I know most Scots probably hope we fail, I hope you beat Croatia and get to the last 16. Good luck

Thankyou kind of you to say, and it is reciprocated, i think by most Scots, we want to beat England, of course we do, as do you guys want to beat Scotland, but once we're out, probably on Tuesday, i will be watching England and Wales and hoping they win as will nearly all the Scots i know, not everyone, but the majority i think, but if you do win it..... Well, it gets a bit boring hearing about it over 5 decades later, although to be fair, i think most Englishmen are feeling the same now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Have to disagree with that Pav. Look at the reaction here.

England aren’t allowed to ever have a bad result. A draw leads to an inquest for the next 24 hours.

We’ve played 2 games. Badly. But still haven’t conceded a goal and 4 points. I didn’t enjoy the Scotland performance obviously, but we’re still in the competition and those results happen to other big sides. See France.

I don't think it's the result that really caused the consternation more so the way we went about achieving it.

It's incredibly frustrating watching us set up to be defensively 'solid'. We're pretty average at best defensively but we have a large amount of quality creative and attacking players.

I don't think anyone believes we're going to win the Euros. So it becomes a question of how do we get knocked out? In a cowardly, trying not to lose manner or a brave, going for it, trying to win manner. For me personally, I want to see us have a go. Lets play to our strengths rather than throw them away in a doomed attempt to shore up our weakness.

Which is to say, in answer to the question posed in the OP, bollocks to playing or a point, lets go for the win and if we do win lets go swinging at whoever we get in the last 16.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It really doesn't matter. That said, winning games grows confidence and form.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Load up on duds,
Tyrone Mings,
It's fun to lose and to pretend,
Everyone's bored,
Nobody scored,
Oh god, we need more dirty words...

This going on about Mings is beginning to make us look silly bearing in mind most pundits and observers think he has played well in the games that matter.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I think goals scored will be our downfall*. All the other so called big teams have scored 3 or more goals, in one game, with the exception of France and Spain.

If you don't attack, you won't score.

We will not win this comp and England fans will be let down by the manager once again.

*We will now smash the Czech's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here