Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We only want a point against the Czech Republic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Club or Country - just ****ing ENTERTAIN me. I can even take a defeat if it’s a great game :shrug:

We are either good enough or we’re not and the idea of Southgate trying to engineer a result doesn’t bear thinking about.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm happy to take second place in the group and avoid the Portugal/Germany/France possibility at this stage.

Would rather take the Swedes.

Or would you rather get the big guns out of the way/end all expectation sooner rather than later?

You do realise that, if England do finish second and then for some reason contrive to beat Sweden/Spain, France in all likelihood will be awaiting in the QFs?
I'd rather that England at least have a go at trying to win against Czech Republic. It might rub off on them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You do realise that, if England do finish second and then for some reason contrive to beat Sweden/Spain, France in all likelihood will be awaiting in the QFs?
I'd rather that England at least have a go at trying to win against Czech Republic. It might rub off on them.

This.

The Chris Hughton school of trying to defend yourself through the games is fatally flawed. We need a good win, brimming with confidence and slick football, it will lift the players, their confidence, the fans and nation. Re-create the spirit of 1996, thats the stuff that wins competitions, not dour defensive dross and no tactics.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Good point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, I don't subscribe to this 'easy route' theory. No joy in winning a trophy when you've had an easy route to it.

Although it worked for us when we won the last world cup...

...oh.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Club or Country - just ****ing ENTERTAIN me. I can even take a defeat if it’s a great game :shrug:

We are either good enough or we’re not and the idea of Southgate trying to engineer a result doesn’t bear thinking about.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

With DMs in, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Stop the caution, it’s contagious
A midfielder
Needless shielder
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This.

The Chris Hughton school of trying to defend yourself through the games is fatally flawed. We need a good win, brimming with confidence and slick football, it will lift the players, their confidence, the fans and nation. Re-create the spirit of 1996, thats the stuff that wins competitions, not dour defensive dross and no tactics.
Indeed. Trying to blag your way through to winning the final is shameful, we should play with vim and verve and put our stamp on the tournament. Better to go down playing rather than hanging on for penalties or simply hoping something turns up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With DMs in, it's less dangerous
Stop the caution, it’s contagious
A midfielder
Needless shielder
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard

There’s only one dullard who happens to also be the only gay in the village and I object to you trying to hand the title to someone else :smile:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I want us to go for it in every match. So far, the Italians have given their fans plenty to enjoy and celebrate. Much better to go out with that preceding glory but what if they win it with a run of 2-0s and 3-0s?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Indeed. Trying to blag your way through to winning the final is shameful, we should play with vim and verve and put our stamp on the tournament. Better to go down playing rather than hanging on for penalties or simply hoping something turns up.

Bar Wales in the Semi Finals ,describes Portugals 2016 tournament perfectly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Fair comment, We have a rare ability to turn the beautiful game into a turgid grind.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Let's be pedantic here. We only NEED a point against the Czech Republic. What we WANT is three points from every game we play.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think we will struggle against the Czechs. They’re the best team in the group.

I’d snatch your hand off for a draw at this stage.

I disagree, the Czechs got lucky against Scotland and were second best for long periods of that game, Schick is pretty good and his team aren't at all bad but despite how you are all feeling after last night, England are still the best team in the group IF you play to your strengths, whish is your attack.

Kane looks knackered to me, so play DCL, he's similar in style and better in the air imho. Support him with Foden, Grealish and Mount and play Bellingham as your only def midfielder, you only need one, not two and he is better than the over rated Rice and Phillips. I would play a back 3 of White, Stones and Coady or Mings (who i dont think has done anything wrong so far, but i would worry that it's never far away) i wouldn't put Maguire back in, in fact i wouldn't have taken him in the first place. Wing backs should be Trppier and Chillwell. That team plays to your attacking strengths and is capable of beating anyone on their day, will the waistcoated wonder do it? I doubt it, sadly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Am I right in thinking that if we win the group the next game would be at Wembley, whereas second it would be in Azerbaijan? And yet people want us to finish second?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Am I right in thinking that if we win the group the next game would be at Wembley, whereas second it would be in Azerbaijan? And yet people want us to finish second?

I thought I heard Rome, not Azerbaijan.

And there's a scenario where Italy could come to London and we go over to Rome for our next game.

I haven't looked into it in any depth though, so could be wrong.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I said on another thread we might as well expect a Wembley version of the Disgrace of Gijon. 0-0 gets both of us through and an "easier" draw for us.

England v Sweden would be good for the NSC v Swanny lolz but the 2021 Swedish vintage would probably knock us out.

'Let them kiss !'

Although given England's continual passing backtracks last night some might argue they don't need to change their style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here