Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We only want a point against the Czech Republic

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Took a so-so England team an absurdly long way in the last World Cup :lol:

It was a strange World Cup for me that. I'd just lost my Dad and was mired in estate issues. I enjoyed watching it but so disconnected from the euphoria.

I know much of that was my state of mind but another part was the knowledge that England's arrival at the semi-final was down to the FIFA pots rather than a powerhouse of a team. The two together was making me 'meh'.

What seems to have occurred is a lingering indifference towards England, yet a stronger love for international football as a whole. So I'm liking this tournament a lot. England's good passage would be a bonus but them going out might also get rid of the jingoistic clap trap.

Throw me to gammons !

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
So, if England lose by 1 goal and Croatia win then they go above England.
If England lose by 1 goal and Scotland win by 2, they go above England?

Basically, we could easily end up 3rd if we close against Czech….

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With DMs in, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Stop the caution, it’s contagious
Here we are now, entertain us
A midfielder
Needless shielder
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard
He’s a dullard

Load up on duds,
Tyrone Mings,
It's fun to lose and to pretend,
Everyone's bored,
Nobody scored,
Oh god, we need more dirty words...

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm happy to take second place in the group and avoid the Portugal/Germany/France possibility at this stage.

Would rather take the Swedes.

Or would you rather get the big guns out of the way/end all expectation sooner rather than later?

Everyone thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would beat Scotland, even the players. We'll struggle against and quite likely even lose against the Czech's. Mark my words.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I want to win it, but if we ain't gonna win it, and that looks likely, I'd sooner get knocked out earlier if that gets rid of Southgate before the WC next year.

Don't want another easy ride, scraping past against easier teams to again paper over the cracks like the last WC, before getting beat later by the first decent team we face (like the last WC), only to then say as its the QF/SF we met our target etc and Southgate gets another major tourno to waste a talented group of players.

Can you really see G/S getting the sack ? Spud's can't get a manager so what chance England ? Is Mike Bassert available ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is there for England to be afraid of? Their bread and butter is club football. International football is a sideshow. Just go out and express yourself. The best thing Southgate could do is get Gazza to do the pre-match talk.

The English public really don't have a high expectation, we expect this team to fail because the defence is shite. At least have a go.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What is there for England to be afraid of? Their bread and butter is club football. International football is a sideshow. Just go out and express yourself. The best thing Southgate could do is get Gazza to do the pre-match talk.

The English public really don't have a high expectation, we expect this team to fail because the defence is shite. At least have a go.

I even found myself wanting Henderson on the pitch last night as the best pick to get some sort of leader out there. I don't think the waistcoatwanker likes strong personalities.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Have to disagree with that Pav. Look at the reaction here.

England aren’t allowed to ever have a bad result. A draw leads to an inquest for the next 24 hours.

We’ve played 2 games. Badly. But still haven’t conceded a goal and 4 points. I didn’t enjoy the Scotland performance obviously, but we’re still in the competition and those results happen to other big sides. See France.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Today's unexpected results in Group F have threatened to rip up the script and has blown things wide open. Any of the four teams could still qualify automatically. England play Tuesday, but Group F games are on Wednesday. France v Portugal and Germany v Hungary. These are the permutations:

FRA win and GER win = FRA 1st, GER 2nd
FRA win and GER/HUN draw = FRA 1st and GER 2nd
FRA win and HUN win = FRA 1st and HUN 2nd
POR win and GER win = POR/GER take 1st and 2nd, goal difference decides which team finishes first. FRA 3rd!
POR win and GER/HUN draw = POR 1st, GER 2nd (on goal difference I think)
POR win and HUN win = POR 1st, HUN 2nd
FRA/POR draw and GER win = GER 1st, FRA 2nd
FRA/POR draw and GER/HUN draw = FRA 1st, POR 2nd (on goal difference I think)
FRA/POR draw and HUN win = FRA 1st, POR/HUN 2nd (probably POR on goal difference though)

My head hurts after figuring that all out, and apologies if any of those are incorrect. My point is that England need to just go out and win, as there is literally no way of knowing which runner up we'd face - it could even be Hungary! None of the permutations are implausible in the slightest. Trying to strategically finish second could see us play Spain, which is the same level of difficulty as playing Germany (IMO) and worse than potentially playing Hungary.

What a group though. Today has certainly been my favourite day of the competition, which is just as well after last night's deflation.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Today's unexpected results in Group F have threatened to rip up the script and has blown things wide open. Any of the four teams could still qualify automatically. England play Tuesday, but Group F games are on Wednesday. France v Portugal and Germany v Hungary. These are the permutations:

POR win and GER win = POR/GER take 1st and 2nd, goal difference decides which team finishes first. FRA 3rd!
FRA/POR draw and HUN win = FRA 1st, POR/HUN 2nd (probably POR on goal difference though)

My head hurts after figuring that all out, and apologies if any of those are incorrect. My point is that England need to just go out and win, as there is literally no way of knowing which runner up we'd face - it could even be Hungary! None of the permutations are implausible in the slightest. Trying to strategically finish second could see us play Spain, which is the same level of difficulty as playing Germany (IMO) and worse than potentially playing Hungary.

What a group though. Today has certainly been my favourite day of the competition, which is just as well after last night's deflation.

Totally agree, there's no point for the bigger nations of being in it if you're not trying to win it..... And to win it you need to build some momentum, get the confidence levels up and that only comes by winning..... I'd fancy our chances against the runners up of the France, Germany Portugal group more on the back of a slick win against the Czechs than against some other team on the back of another turgid defensive performance like last night.

You will have to play bigger/better teams if you're going to win this, so may as well just go all out to win every game and see where we land.

Unleash grealish, Sancho, foden and mount, let's get on the front foot and attack every game.

Win or go out going for it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Great post and why I’m sure Southgate won’t be getting caught up in any silliness of playing for a draw. No point playing for a hypothetical tie that may never happen and/or may even see you go out. Go for the win.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Great post and why I’m sure Southgate won’t be getting caught up in any silliness of playing for a draw.

No, Southgate’s busy wrestling with a huge dilemma.

Does he go with the same 11 that started against Scotland, or is it time to really mix it up, be bold and brave and - gasp - bring back Kieran Trippier instead of that crazee wild out-there experiment of playing Luke Shaw?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I think we will beat Czech Republic comfortably and cruise through top of the group

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Well if we come second our games are in random places and then have to play them in 1/4.

We want first so then if we go out last 16 he will then be sacked (if he doesn’t the booing will be mad at the next game).

I actually couldn’t care less really though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
This.

The Chris Hughton school of trying to defend yourself through the games is fatally flawed. We need a good win, brimming with confidence and slick football, it will lift the players, their confidence, the fans and nation. Re-create the spirit of 1996, thats the stuff that wins competitions, not dour defensive dross and no tactics.

Fatally flawed?

Did Chelsea no harm in winning the champions league. Or greece and Portugal winning the euros.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Fatally flawed?

Did Chelsea no harm in winning the champions league. Or greece and Portugal winning the euros.

agreed. playing naive gung ho football never got us anywhere. We have adaped better to international football, keep the ball better and give nothing away at the back.

How many times did we use to moan about giving away silly goals and players losing their heads at tournaments which ultimately cost us? people need to look at the bigger picture

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here