Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We need to talk about Calde

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But that's not how we operate.

When you have a life long fan as an owner whose aim it seems is to see the club and it's fans as one big community family then keeping ex-players around the club helps grow that environment.

He wants people who love the club as much as he does working at it.

Neither Calderón or Jones are "around the club" just ex employees trading their wares elsewhere...

Lallana on the other hand was brought in with the express purpose of getting coaching experience as he winds his playing career down.

That is more Tony's style I would say, like buying cheap youngsters and developing them.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This. It's probably understandable but I can't think of any club in the top 15 of the EPL whose support base would include so many supporters with such an apparent old division 3 mentality. Can we get Mullers back? Or Adams?

Crikey, let's not be a Noddy club, let's look forward and embrace the future. It's only just begun.

Best bin off Crofts, Greer, Sidwell, Dicker (and forget Bruno, Rosenior, Jones etc) and tell Bloom that Harry Wilson's Tackle thinks he's running a noddy club... We have a history of bringing in old players and have repeatedly said Calderon will be back. Is it that strange a suggestion to expect is again?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think as Harry pointed out, we have a history of being a lower league club and some still appear to have that mentality.

If the people you name are the best for the job, then great as they may understand the "Brighton way". But recruitment should not be based solely on past association.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Neither Calderón or Jones are "around the club" just ex employees trading their wares elsewhere...

Jones was here though after he'd finished playing.

Obviously, not everyone can be around the club but they do seem to like bringing people in that have been part of the club before.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've no idea of Calderon's ability as a coach, but if he is a viable option I would love to see him back. Inigo was special, an Albion legend not just any old bit part player from our past but one that was really loved by the fans, did great work in the community and obviously loved the club. I think it is an advantage to have the deep-rooted experience and enthusiasm of the Albion that he has and it would help create a positive environment that we really need right now. Bring Him Home!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've no idea of Calderon's ability as a coach, but if he is a viable option I would love to see him back. Inigo was special, an Albion legend not just any old bit part player from our past but one that was really loved by the fans, did great work in the community and obviously loved the club. I think it is an advantage to have the deep-rooted experience and enthusiasm of the Albion that he has and it would help create a positive environment which we really need right now. Bring Him Home!!!

I would love that but thought Bruno had the same, so now very wary.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Does he even have any coaching badges? We’re obviously not gonna hire anyone without qualifications ex-player or not.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think as Harry pointed out, we have a history of being a lower league club and some still appear to have that mentality.

If the people you name are the best for the job, then great as they may understand the "Brigton way". But recruitment should not be based solely on past asxociation.

Well most of them seem to have been involved with the youth side of things so perhaps Bloom wants ex-players to teach the kids Bloom's Brighton vision as they come up through the ranks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are people forgetting that Calde is not just another ex-player, but someone that Barber has already hinted as coming back?

I'm not sure that he was talking about September but it's clear that there have been discussions between Calde and the club. GP's leaving may hasten things; we shall see.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well most of them seem to have been involved with the youth side of things so perhaps Bloom wants ex-players to teach the kids Bloom's Brighton vision as they come up through the ranks.

I guess the difference is these guys are currently working at and for the club.

Unless the suggestion is that Calderón in particular has been told to go out and get some coaching experience, bit like our development players going out on loan!

If so, that will make us no better than Chelsea when we poach him back!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did some of you guys stalk and plead with your exes when the relationships were over? :wink:

Bringing back Calderon will be very very low down our list of priorities I imagine

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Best bin off Crofts, Greer, Sidwell, Dicker (and forget Bruno, Rosenior, Jones etc) and tell Bloom that Harry Wilson's Tackle thinks he's running a noddy club... We have a history of bringing in old players and have repeatedly said Calderon will be back. Is it that strange a suggestion to expect is again?

Forgive me but which one of these is in the frame for the manager job? I didn't say sack any of the staff that Potter has left behind if they are former players.

And if you think I think Bloom is running a Noddy club...... Christ. My point was the opposite.

OK, let's consider for a moment which former player would be an appropriate appointment as a manger, or should be brought back in some capacity to bridge the language gap with the Spaniards etc.:

Jones has the best managerial record. I wouldn't have a complete tantrum if he were appointed, but I wouldn't be thrilled. I would be surprised.

Rosenior? Too soon I suspect. He has been in charge of Derby for how many weeks? Currently ninth in division 3. Hmmmm....

Bruno? Erm......he's gone to Chelsea.

As for Calderon, as others have pointed out he's settled in Spain. He hasn't managed. He is assistant coach to the reserves at Alavés. Why would we want to recruit him as an interpreter? How many of the current squad even know who his is, let alone know him? Dunk? He doesn't need a Spanish interpreter.

So you have completely misrepresented what I wrote. I would have expected better from you. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Except we know that this isn't true as Barber has already spoken about him coming back

Yes but not as manager. We need a whole management team right now and targeting Calderon will not be anywhere near the top of this list.

That's done it. Now I just know that later today the club will announce that Calderon has been appointed manager. :facepalm:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, get him back as Spanish player liason coach and move Heaven and Earth to do it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes but not as manager. We need a whole management team right now and targeting Calderon will not be anywhere near the top of this list.

No, not as manager and it may well be that discussions about a role for Calde may have ceased (or may have accelerated, we have no idea)

But the fact is that his return was being discussed so it's not just the name of a random ex-player plucked from the air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here