Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We just signed Lee Steele.......

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I thought Steele was often a handful for Div 3 defences - lots of power and commitment and some skill. But his finishing let him down - couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The way that Adams and Taylor moaned about him = basket case.

Hence booze and occaisional good games make sence.

Orient for the conference.!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Steele was decent division 3 player when he came to us. He was harshly treated although didn't help himself at times (I think Adams got the hump with his excessive drinking but I'm not sure). His problem is clearly that he can't apply himself which is why he's drifted into the Oxford reserve side. Personally, I suspect you've got a player well past his best although a good manager might still get something out of him.

And no, he didn't score against you in that 2-0 win at your place - although your defence didn't cope with him at all well. He tore you to shreds along with Brooker and Zamora.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Steele did okay for us and if he's fit (which is the big imponderable) then at Div3 level, he will be a very good signing and score goals for you.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
he was second to scorer with i think 11 goals to zamora.

he is a good lower league player. no Albion fan gave him stick that i remember when he was playing for us . i cant believe btn fans are slagging him off!!.

Bit lippy in the dressing room, didnt play much for oxford as just after he signed i think he broke his leg.

will score at least 10 goals for orient next season mark my words

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I thought he did alright for us.

He had some really injuries while at Oxford, but this seems to be another move in his career now on a downward spiral. I’d imagine he will be at Canvey Island by the end of next season.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Albion Dan said:
Twatty, Lee Steele is a good Division 3 player who on his day can turn a match. He scored a few for us in Div 2 in our promotion winning season and I for one was sorry to see him go.

Cant believe someof the shit you lot are writing about him, he always gave 100% when he played and, other than the usual crap about him drinking to much becasue he got caught drink driving, always seemed pretty popular.
i agree everyone quick to slag him off,i always rated him as he always made effort,mind most of the saps that slag old players said minton was shite and i thought he was great,still what do i know!!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I have to say that I quite liked him, and that perhaps that is partly down to his off pitch antics. When he played he always ran himself into the ground for the cause, and he scored some important goals.
Too many injuries were his problem with us and with Oxford.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I seem to remember Mickey Adams said that Steele had ' let himself go ' during the 2001 close season, & had failed to return to pre-season training in an acceptable state of fitness. That really put the kybosh on his season until Peter Taylor took over.

Then of course there was the drink-driving conviction.

Having said that he was always a tryer when on the pitch, but as you say, his finishing could be poor.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lee Steele came on as a sub in the Oxford v Huddersfield game that I went to and looked excessively unfit.

Looked like the booze was being supplemented by a kebab diet as well.

Albion Rob

I always quite liked Steele, decent player to bring on when you're looking for a goal, but as has been said, if his fitness has gone he's not going to be much of a player as I dodn't think his finishing was really up to scratch, he was more of a runner and a trier.

as for being top scorer in division two, is it any wonder the Orient fans are so deluded if that is what their website says. although Steele was top scorer in the win over Oldham when he notched two goals....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Twatty

Go on to www.htfc-world.com and look at the Brighton report from a couple of years ago.

There is a spot in the Huddersfield stand bedind the goal that Lee Steele hit with a particularily fierce shot. Its about 3/4 way down the report.

Dave

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Beeneys gloves said:
Pretty convinced it was Bobby and Brooker who scored that day, Steele was quality on his day its just a shame there werent too many of them

3rd March 2001

Leyton Orient 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 (Brooker, Zamora)

att 7,958

We also beat them 2-0 at home that season, Rogers and Mayo scoring :eek: :eek:

Marvellous scenes

Shanks

Sep 30, 2003
Harlow
I remember Steele pissing on us when you won 2-0 at ours, even though he didn't score. Came on as sub after about 30 mins and changed the game.

Also scored a hat-trick for Shrews at Brisbane Road when we were 2-0 up and they were down to 10 men.

What's the betting he now can't score for shit at Brisbane Road...?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Keep him away from cars .... that is if you have any with four wheels left on and not burned out in east London

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I always liked him. He's no star but should do alright for Orient. Was always very friendly.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lee Steele was quality including 11 goals in our div 2 championship winning side 2 years ago which was good considering he had a lot of injuries.

Scored a last minute winner that season at home to Bristol City which was a vital goal.

Great signing for you lot, too good for LO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here