Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

we have got worse

Guinness Boy said:
McGoo had over 2 seasons during which we went from just outside the playoffs in League 1 to sliding down the table in League 1.

Wilkins has had a few games with an inherited squad.

And you left out a promotion, one of the greatest days in the club's history at Cardiff, victories over the likes of West Ham and Leeds and our highest league finish since 1991. But I'm guessing a fair judgment of McGhee's record is not what you about, is it?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is my take -as an 'outsider'- on the whole situation. I say as an outsider because I have been overseas for the entirety of McGhee's reign so I have not had the pleasure or otherwise of witnessing first hand any of his teams.

In McGhee's favour are his first two season's. Firstly he got us promoted in his first season. Yes, Coppell had us top but who's to say that we would have finished top with coppell in charge? It's impossible to say, so McGhee achieved all that could possibly be asked of him in that first season. A success.

He then kept us up in his second season. Ultimately it went down to the last game but we were flying until kuipers got injured which led to a prolonged goalkeeper search which seemed to have an adverse effect on results. Regardless we stayed up. Another success.

Then there is the development, and sale, of numerous players which have helped to keep the club rolling on. He can take all the credit for Darren Currie, Adam Virgo and Dan Harding. Between the three of them that's over 2million that he's made for the club. No other manager whilst I've been watching the ALbion has been able to make that claim. A third success.

Against Mcghee, as I see it, are the performances of the last season. Seven wins in 46 league games last year is a terrible return. The abject way in which we surrendered our championship status was very disappointing. Too many times I read about us not having the bottle for the fight. That we just turned up and got rolled over. That for me is a big problem and a big negative. We all know the horrific restraints on our club but the least we should expect is players putting in the effort. If they try and fail that is far more acceptable than not even trying.

Then there is his attempts at bringing players in. For the past year and a bit we've had the same problems in the team. Namely the left side of defence and upfront (with centre mid a debatable area too). Yet nothing was done about it. There was a lot of talk but no action. Three transfer windows came and went. We were told about x,y and z who we were after but nothing came of it. I refuse to believe that it was that hard to bring in a half decent centre forward and left back.

Next there is his man management. Too many times he fell out with players and dragged the whole sorry mess through the papers(although Leon Knight was more than willing to do the same...). Half those players he brought into the club. Against this though he did finally appear to be improving as Kuipers returning to the fold showed.

Finally there is his tactics and motivational skills. The team seemed to change from game to game. There was no cohesion in playing personel apart from one or two who seemed to be guaranteed a place. Players were consistently played out of position which to an extent was understandable but not, I think, to the extent that mcghee did. And his half time team talks must have been the most insipid in history. How many times did we come out in the second half and lose a lead or a draw? How many times were we utterly ineffectual in the second half?

I think, on weighing up the pro's and con's of his reign it was just about time that he left. That's not to say that I think he is a bad manager or that he did a particularly bad job, just that his time had run it's course. He, of course, wasn't helped by the tight, tight purse strings of the club's budget or DK blowing 100grand on an argentinian assasin.

The timing of his sacking is also a strange one. He's being paid to do nothing, and I have the feeling the two dean's will be left in charge for as long as possible so that we don't have to spend any extra money on new wages. Personally I would have given Mcghee until the beginning of November. 6 games is a pointless number of games.

As for Wilkins and white. I don't think we can expect too much from them. Infact, we can't expect much from anyone. There's nothing there for them to work with except for a bunch of kids, and they're going to need time to bne molded into a competitive football team. It is encouraging nevertheless that DW seems to be able to change things around and improve things at half time.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
chez said:
We Have Got worse?

We of course we have. What did you expect? We sacked a very good manager and put a rookie in charge, we're hardly gonna improve are we.

f***ing hell, some people :dunce:

We sacked a shite manager that nobody would work for and sold good players for peanuts. The new "rookie" is left with a bunch of kids and crocks! He has no f***ing chance of doing anything without being allowed to strengthen! :censored:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
garry nelsons left foot said:
This is my take -as an 'outsider'- on the whole situation. I say as an outsider because I have been overseas for the entirety of McGhee's reign so I have not had the pleasure or otherwise of witnessing first hand any of his teams.

In McGhee's favour are his first two season's. Firstly he got us promoted in his first season. Yes, Coppell had us top but who's to say that we would have finished top with coppell in charge? It's impossible to say, so McGhee achieved all that could possibly be asked of him in that first season. A success.

He then kept us up in his second season. Ultimately it went down to the last game but we were flying until kuipers got injured which led to a prolonged goalkeeper search which seemed to have an adverse effect on results. Regardless we stayed up. Another success.

Then there is the development, and sale, of numerous players which have helped to keep the club rolling on. He can take all the credit for Darren Currie, Adam Virgo and Dan Harding. Between the three of them that's over 2million that he's made for the club. No other manager whilst I've been watching the ALbion has been able to make that claim. A third success.

Against Mcghee, as I see it, are the performances of the last season. Seven wins in 46 league games last year is a terrible return. The abject way in which we surrendered our championship status was very disappointing. Too many times I read about us not having the bottle for the fight. That we just turned up and got rolled over. That for me is a big problem and a big negative. We all know the horrific restraints on our club but the least we should expect is players putting in the effort. If they try and fail that is far more acceptable than not even trying.

Then there is his attempts at bringing players in. For the past year and a bit we've had the same problems in the team. Namely the left side of defence and upfront (with centre mid a debatable area too). Yet nothing was done about it. There was a lot of talk but no action. Three transfer windows came and went. We were told about x,y and z who we were after but nothing came of it. I refuse to believe that it was that hard to bring in a half decent centre forward and left back.

Next there is his man management. Too many times he fell out with players and dragged the whole sorry mess through the papers(although Leon Knight was more than willing to do the same...). Half those players he brought into the club. Against this though he did finally appear to be improving as Kuipers returning to the fold showed.

Finally there is his tactics and motivational skills. The team seemed to change from game to game. There was no cohesion in playing personal apart from one or two who seemed to be guaranteed a place. Players were consistently played out of position which to an extent was understandable but not, I think, to the extent that mcghee did. And his half time team talks must have been the most insipid in history. How many times did we come out in the second half and lose a lead or a draw? How many times were we utterly ineffectual in the second half?

I think, on weighing up the pro's and con's of his reign it was just about time that he left. That's not to say that I think he is a bad manager or that he did a particularly bad job, just that his time had run it's course. He, of course, wasn't helped by the tight, tight purse strings of the club's budget or DK blowing 100grand on an argentinian assasin.

The timing of his sacking is also a strange one. He's being paid to do nothing, and I have the feeling the two dean's will be left in charge for as lon as possible so that we don't have to spend any extra money on new wages. Prsonally I would have given Mcghee until the beginning of November. 6 games is a pointless number of games.

As for Wilkins and white. I don't think we can expect too much from them. Infact, we can't expect much from anyone. There's nothing there for them to work with except for a bunch of kids, and they're going to need time to bne molded into a competitive football team. It is encouraging nevertheless that DW seems to be able to change things around and improve things at half time.
Thats a very fair summing up GNLF.
:clap:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It's like listening to a broken recored....... McGhee's gone for god's sake so stop talking about him... it's not gonna bring him back and mudslinigign doesn't help anyone.

As for Wilkins..... if there's no one else but him then we'll elave with it and I do like the things he says but the squad's not good enough for anything more tham mid-table mediocrity. At least we'll win more games than last season.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
chez said:
It was our job & duty to support Mark McGhee but people decided not to bother because in their opinion the results werent good enough.

Bollocks! Magoo's duty was to build a team to entertain the paying customers - US. He failed - so went.
:salute:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm sorry? Have I been supporting a club becaus I expect entertainment? Go and support Man Utd if you want that... it's love of football and the club for god's sake! You're comment is pathetic... whoever you use it on.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
London Irish said:
And you left out a promotion, one of the greatest days in the club's history at Cardiff, victories over the likes of West Ham and Leeds and our highest league finish since 1991. But I'm guessing a fair judgment of McGhee's record is not what you about, is it?

Plastic - you really are a celtic **** aren't you! Magoo wrecked out club by the time he left - possibly assisted by a Chairman who has lost the plot also. :salute:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
bew4194 said:
I'll get criticised for this but I don't think we have got any worse but we haven't got any better since McGhee left.
spot on how have we got worse

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
I'm sorry? Have I been supporting a club becaus I expect entertainment? Go and support Man Utd if you want that... it's love of football and the club for god's sake! You're comment is pathetic... whoever you use it on.

So the fact is that the public have a duty to watch the Albion whatever they do? Wake-up mate! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
London Irish said:

Sorry - this is the 'we've got worse since McGhee left' thread, not the life and times of BHA and Mark McGhee thread.

I should point out that I thought he was a good appointment at the time and said so. He came in to get us promotion and achieved it. Next season our only aim was to stay up and again he achieved it.

From there you would expect a decent manager to kick on however. Instead we imploded in to a season where we won just 7 out of 46 games, losing the last in the most pathetic style possible. In the meantime just about any player of any quality was jumoing ship, culminating in a 4-1 home defeat to Crewe - a side with less fans and cash than us.

Martin Hinshelwood won his first game. In the championship. Away from home. Doesn't mean he should still be in charge now does it?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We have not got worse since he left we have been crap for a while now, selling your best players because you don't like them and failing to even replace 1 of them does that to a team

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
3gulls said:
So the fact is that the public have a duty to watch the Albion whatever they do? Wake-up mate! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

No... you seem to go from one extreme to the other... that's not what I said. Any manager who comes to this club has a duty to do the best he can for the club with the resources provided. If he entertain as well. Lordy where would Wimbledon have been if they had to entertain the crowd as well!!!!:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

If you decide to support a club you make the commitment to support in the bad times as well as the good.... those fans who are expecting entertainment this season are the samne ones who think Kanchelskis might still sign for us :dunce:

But if it's all about entertainment why not choose Man Utd this year and leave your options open for next year.....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would have to say that the football under Taylor wasnt exactly entertaining. But we were winning so people didnt complain.

Overall I think people would prefer a winning side to an an entertaining one. Probably why alot of people now 'support' Chelsea!!!

So its all about balance. When Magoo got us up & kept us up it wasn't pretty (he made no apologies and he was right not to) when we went down I think MM tried to be more entertaining but we kind of lost never say die attitude along the way.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here