Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(we did have) Confirmation of the new badge

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Definitely could have done without the yellow beak, makes us look a bit amateur. Also slightly disappointed that the seagull wasn't a bit more streamlined, with sharper angles. It doesn't literally have to look exactly like a real seagull does it? A more contemporary and stylish twist would have been better. Still, a vast improvement on the horrible shield with the fat bird. 7/10.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
As I've said before, in heraldic terms animals should face to the left. This is driven by images being on shields which were worn on the left arm whilst swords were on the right. This way the image would be facing toward battle. By those rules we now have an image that is fleeing battle.

But we're a football club, not an army so this image will never be on a shield or taken into battle. Even if there was some kind of inter club war, soldiers haven't worn shields for centuries! In modern terms, when shields don't have to be considered, left to right is generally accepted to be "forwards"
I really doubt that we had to reverse it for branding rights, I'm sure there are plenty of logos featuring seagulls facing both directions and this is distinctive enough to be differentiated whichever way round you put it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

Argus has it as THIS colour...

But the club has it as THIS colour...

0,,10433~9369925,00.jpg

Which is it?!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I know that Newspapers generally brighten up photos before going to print so maybe they did the same with the badge and just overdid it a little.

But again i would expect the club to have it right.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I'll admit it, its growing on me quickly, it's gotten rid of the 'THE SEAGULLS' at the bottom, and the direction, while Im unfamiliar with it pointing right, it can grow on you I think. It does seem a little boring, but to be fair it looks less tacky than the old one, more mature, but I would have liked more gold to compliment the beak, as with mayfair's version

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't like it. Unimaginative and too much like the old one from times gone by. It's very bland and will get lost on most backgrounds. I really don't have a problem with the existing one - it it ain't broke ......................
...l.
But that's the point - it IS broken. And yes, it's going back to 'times gone by', it reminds us of Wardy, Mullery and the 'Glory Years'. The shield badge is probably the last thing in the club left over from the Archer era* and I'm glad it's finally gone.

[* Yes I know technically it was Dick Knight but it always FEELS like it was Archer that changed it. We'd lost our home and in some ways it felt like we'd lost our identity too]

But that's the point - it IS broken. And yes, it's going back to 'times gone by', it reminds us of Wardy, Mullery and the 'Glory Years'. The shield badge is probably the last thing in the club left over from the Archer era* and I'm glad it's finally gone.

[* Yes I know technically it was Dick Knight but it always FEELS like it was Archer that changed it. We'd lost our home and in some ways it felt like we'd lost our identity too]

It was supposed to signal a new birth, a break with the past, the future!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was supposed to signal a new birth, a break with the past, the future!
Well it failed miserably! And we already had a break with the past - we'd lost the Goldstone! Enough with the breaks already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here