Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We Can't Afford It

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Munchkin said:
Empty seats mean lost revenue, surely the club can look to expand the fanbase around the county, say we have 1000 spare seats, offer the local school children the oppurtunity to purchase reduced tickets (on block) and at least fill the place and encourage the younger generation to support their local team ?? Expand that and involved their parents, I'm sure a one off visit to the Withdean would more than encouarge people to come back and the club would reap the benefits in the future ??

They are already doing this through schools and football youth teams. As a teacher I've already organised one trip and plan to do another in the New Year. The club is advertising the fact but needs people involved inside schools to organise it. They can't just give tickets away and let the kids come by themselves.

It costs £6 per child plus £12 per adult accompanying the group, they get a small goodie bag which includes a voucher charging £14 for one adult and one child for a future game.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've introduced 3 of little bulldogs mates to the Withdean this season and they've all loved it, The problem is they went to the F A Cup games when additional tickets for them in the family stand were £7 each. The same seat for a league game is £14 and they're parents just wont give them the money for it. Maybe if the club reduced the price of additional kids you take in the family stand and extended it to other parts of the ground as well we might get a few more bums on seats!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Theatre of Trees said:
They are already doing this through schools and football youth teams. As a teacher I've already organised one trip and plan to do another in the New Year. The club is advertising the fact but needs people involved inside schools to organise it. They can't just give tickets away and let the kids come by themselves.

It costs £6 per child plus £12 per adult accompanying the group, they get a small goodie bag which includes a voucher charging £14 for one adult and one child for a future game.

i didnt know BOUNDSTONE had done trips to Brighton games, unless youve moved school ???

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Barrel of Fun said:
But is that the solution? Ticket prices have been dropped for the cup games, yet still the crowds are not breaching 6,000. Are the Tranmere’s, Swansea’s and Cheltenham’s of our league much more attractive than the cup opposition? It seems to me that many of the old brigade have moved on and given up on Withdean – happy to wait until Falmer.

Well they will be sorry if it never happens thanks to their lack of support - I have had my faith restore dto an extent in Withdean after the Swansea game and wioll make more of an effort from now on.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Zesh Rehman 34 said:
i didnt know BOUNDSTONE had done trips to Brighton games, unless youve moved school ???

Started this year, took about 6 of my year 10 tutor group to the Tranmere match I'm now looking to do another for the Forest match. Point is there is now a contact at the club for schools and I'm not the only the teacher trying to organise trips from there at the moment.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Theatre of Trees said:
Started this year, took about 6 of my year 10 tutor group to the Tranmere match I'm now looking to do another for the Forest match. Point is there is now a contact at the club for schools and I'm not the only the teacher trying to organise trips from there at the moment.

thats pretty impressive, much an improvement on what things were like before

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Theatre of Trees said:

Thats interesting! My little fella is in year 10 & would be well up for a trip to Withdean with his school mates!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Lokki 7 said:
As MoH said, it is you that is missing out my friend. Last night was ACE. Best football and best atmosphere I have seen at home for a long long time. Great entertainment and good value for money. (And I travelled down from London for it).

Good for you, personally I had a great time eating out on Fillet Mignon and Lobster washed down with a bottle of chateauneuf de pape at Le Palais du Jardin for my Girlfriends birthday. Im pretty sure I enjoyed myself more than you did.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I'm genuinely saddened that Dean Wilkins' exciting home-produced team are getting much smaller crowds than McGoon's predictable team got.

Last night's game was exhilarating and entertaining. The way we play may mean we concede a few at home but it is great to watch.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Munchkin said:
Agree with all the above points, but surely the club need to look at some means of filling Withdean ?? Empty seats mean lost revenue, surely the club can look to expand the fanbase around the county, say we have 1000 spare seats, offer the local school children the oppurtunity to purchase reduced tickets (on block) and at least fill the place and encourage the younger generation to support their local team ?? Expand that and involved their parents, I'm sure a one off visit to the Withdean would more than encouarge people to come back and the club would reap the benefits in the future ??

I just belive the club could be more pro-active in the community and liase with clubs / schools / associations and make a concerted effort to fill Withdean.

Do keep up, they do this already.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How much effort does the club make ?

If I remember rightly the Insider advised that BHAFC would contact local youth football clubs - we at ASC Strikers await being contacted......................................

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Albion Dan said:
Good for you, personally I had a great time eating out on Fillet Mignon and Lobster washed down with a bottle of chateauneuf de pape at Le Palais du Jardin for my Girlfriends birthday. Im pretty sure I enjoyed myself more than you did.

Don't bet on it.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
DJ Leon said:
Don't bet on it.

:lolol: Being a season ticket holder every season at the Withdean until this one and attending almost every game at The Goldstone between about 1987 and Gillingham I can assure you that a 3-2 win over Swansea City that lifts us to the heady hights of 12th at Withdean on a Tuesday night is never going to be a patch on a top restaurant with the mother of my child.

Maybe you have never really been to that many really great football matches for you to think last night was that amazing, or maybe you have never really been out to a great restaurant, but I would confidently "Bet on it" :lolol:

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Surely some Premiershite teams have a system where they charge more (or less) according to the opposition?

Their crowds fluctuate accordingly, but they make money on the big games.

Couldn't we do a similar thing? If it's all decided up front the STH's would know the score when the subscribed.

The mini-season ticket is there as an option too isn't it?

Agree with comments about home-grown players. The likes of Lynch, Fraser and Cox, together with signings like Revell really make for an exciting team. Keep it up lads!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm a STH but I think it was wrong not to drop the prices this year, bearing in mind that it was obvious that the play offs would be a stretch.

Not a huge drop mind, but it should have been decreased in my opinion.

I wasn't suprised about the awful attendances this season.

After deciding not to do that, the club have stuffed themselves a little because once the season ticket price has been set, they have little space to move in terms of dropping prices per game for non STH.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the club should learn from this if we are League 1 next year - awaits advice we will only "freeze" ST prices for next year

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Beach Hut said:
How much effort does the club make ?

If I remember rightly the Insider advised that BHAFC would contact local youth football clubs - we at ASC Strikers await being contacted......................................

Why don't you get in touch yourself that's what I did.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Personal circumstances permitting, of course, anyone NOT making the effort to watch some of the most entertaining and full-blooded fare to be served up by a great young crop of Albion players is SERIOUSLY missing out at the moment. It's THEIR loss.

Cue the usual "oooh, it's SO cold at Withdean", "ooh the stewards are such fascists"etc etc etc...

I can't get to all the home games, even though I'm STH. Every game I do get to is rubbish, everyone I miss is superb. Reckon the club should be paying me to stay away at the moment, you're definately better off without me:down: :nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Theatre of Trees said:
Why don't you get in touch yourself that's what I did.

I did last season and sold over 250 tickets for the club over three games.

The club needs to sort this out and one of my greatest fears when Falmer is built will be we have the same set of commercial twats at BHAFC.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the game against Swansea was good value for money. One of the best I have seen for ages.

Simple arithmetic tells you that 5,000 @£27 = £135,000 to take in the same money if we dropped the price to £20 would mean it would need 6750 attendance disregarding VAT expenses etc to bring in the same amount of money. Would reducing the price by only £7 bring in 1750 extra supporters or £14 bring in 3500 extra I doubt it very much.

It has been said many times that the cost of staging matches at Withdean dictates the price and we as supporters need to do our best when ever we can to support the club in this way. I accept that there have been a number of games very close to each other like 3 this week and Millwall away but that is life.

Like your local Post Office If you want it support it if you dont dont moan when it goes tits up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here