Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are no better than last season

Our worst performance of the season has been successively less bad in each of the last 4 years.

This was the worst performance of this season, but I could name 3 or 4 worse last year

I can’t recall us losing to a team with 14 points a few games short of an entire season but maybe you could jog my memory

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s not a fact though is it?

And any reason why you didn’t post this after the excellent Chelsea performance? Our most complete performance against a top 6 side in our 4 Premier League seasons?

Because he is a ****. Tonight was a relief for him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can’t recall us losing to a team with 14 points a few games short of an entire season but maybe you could jog my memory

Sheffield utd have just been on the wrong end of the law of averages this season.
Righting the wrong of their top half finish last season.

They weren't as good as their league position suggested last season and they aren't as bad as their league position suggests this season.

I do remember losing 5-0 to Bournemouth and 2-0 to Cardiff under CH.
Now that was really shit,, I mean different levels of cluelessness.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tonight definitely feels like we are a worse team than last season.

“Feels”. Not a verb you associate with any logic, measured argument or facts. I feel ****ing shit, nothing I can do about it, there is no room for thinking now.

It’s all negative emotion, we are all ****ing sick tonight including the OP.

But tomorrow, or the days ahead or even when we possibly beat Leeds next week, we’ll realise that not only do we think we are better than last season but we feel it too.

Fingers crossed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Two questions come to mind:

1. How would our Potter team go with a Danny Ings type forward (i.e. one who can put the ball in the net)?

2. Which manager out there is going to be able to get more goals out of our forwards and midfielders?

Clearly, we have issues in scoring but I question the wisdom of choosing to replace Potter over giving him some more time to make improvements.

Ultimately though, it is the decision of Bloom and Barber. They also have the relevant information in terms of budget for striker and work done on the training pitch.

For me though one thing is inarguable, if a team has Maupay as its main striker they are going to be fighting relegation (see also Connolly).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For me though one thing is inarguable, if a team has Maupay as its main striker they are going to be fighting relegation (see also Connolly).

I’d add Welbeck to that also. He is a fine all round striker and great to have in the squad but he is not a natural finisher like a Murray or Ings, a striker who just scores without thinking about it.

We need one of those, but they are very hard to get.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I’d add Welbeck to that also. He is a fine all round striker and great to have in the squad but he is not a natural finisher like a Murray or Ings, a striker who just scores without thinking about it.

We need one of those, but they are very hard to get.

Indeed, Welbeck for me is a very good supporting forward, inside forward etc. A foil for the main striker who chips in with a few.

Hard to get and expensive, Hopefully, someone can solve this problem though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's a time-honoured tradition that we are absolutely appalling given the chance to down tools. You could argue that harks back at least as far as the players being hungover against Shrewsbury in 2001, and the end of the promotion season to the Premier League was disgraceful even before Stockdale gave Villa the goal that meant we didn't win the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up within three points of the drop but incapable of going down on the final day because of Newcastle vs Fulham. But we have shown massive kahunas when the pressure was on this season - half-time against Wolves, Liverpool away etc.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
If you enjoyed that second half you’re either blind, lying or deluded and I didn’t have you down for any one of those three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it - possibly there's something relaxing about inevitability.

We are obviously flawed, and we can all spend a lot of time dwelling on that and making ourselves feel angry about how utterly infuriating the finishing, team/formation selection, lack of composure at crucial moments etc. are. But I still think that based on the overall performances we're better than we were last season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a time-honoured tradition that we are absolutely appalling given the chance to down tools. You could argue that harks back at least as far as the players being hungover against Shrewsbury in 2001, and the end of the promotion season to the Premier League was disgraceful even before Stockdale gave Villa the goal that meant we didn't win the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up within three points of the drop but incapable of going down on the final day because of Newcastle vs Fulham. But we have shown massive kahunas when the pressure was on this season - half-time against Wolves, Liverpool away etc.

It’s the Brighton Way.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We are playing better football but have no end product.
If half our considerable amount of chances went in we would be mid table.
Once this aspect is fully addressed our points tally for every seaon will be comparative.
The anti football under CH was unwatchable and the right decision was made.
Priority has to be given to getting a couple of strikers in as it has been shown almost every game to glaringly obvious.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Potter can only work with the personnel he has, be very careful what you wish for managerial wise. In GP we 100% trust (most of us)

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
5 out of 6 games against the bottom 3 , we didn’t score , at least last year we could beat the teams in the bottom 3

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
And arguably worse. Fact.

100% agree. You and I have been much of same mind this season GB. If we were to get 9 points from our last five games, I'd concede that we have improved in some areas and most importantly, in the points tally. However, this is unlikely and now it looks like we're going to either finish with our lowest or second lowest points tally in the PL. Even if it were to happen, it would not obscure the fact that Potter's number one goal next season must be finding a way to adapt/change/transform his style of football when playing against bottom half teams. This is not simply about finding a striker. People need to ask themselves why our strikers seem to find the net against better sides, but not against lower opposition. Every game against the teams around us, except Newcastle for some reason, seem to follow exactly the same narrative. We shouldn't just be winning more of these games - we should be dominating some of them.

For those that think this is entertaining, I'd argue that:

1) Your perception of what is entertainment has been skewed since you haven't been back in the stadiums. My definition of an entertaining loss is going down 5-4, not losing 1-0 to a team that have mustered only 14 points all year and saw our "improved" second half consist of 45 minutes of spraying the ball from side to side, back to the defence, in front of a wall in the penalty area. I am really certain that once you're back in the stands, this will get old very, very quickly.

2) I may be shot down in flames for saying this, but classing this as entertainment is following the same line of thinking as the supporters of the ESL: results don't matter as much as the quality of football on offer. Again, once we're back in grounds I'm convinced Albion fans won't be settling for so-called nice football that gets us zero points in a game against relegation fodder.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If we had a player that could score from two yards out we would be a very good team. That's not Potter's fault.

But why does he keep picking the same player that can’t score?

I’d sooner play Burn up front.

We haven’t moved forward as a football playing side at all. It’s all pretty, but it’s also all pretty ineffectual.

Time to piss or get off the pot on signing the talent we need or start developing it. I’d sooner see what Cashman can do now than wait to jettison him in two years time.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
100% agree. You and I have been much of same mind this season GB. If we were to get 9 points from our last five games, I'd concede that we have improved in some areas and most importantly, in the points tally. However, this is unlikely and now it looks like we're going to either finish with our lowest or second lowest points tally in the PL. Even if it were to happen, it would not obscure the fact that Potter's number one goal next season must be finding a way to adapt/change/transform his style of football when playing against bottom half teams. This is not simply about finding a striker. People need to ask themselves why our strikers seem to find the net against better sides, but not against lower opposition. Every game against the teams around us, except Newcastle for some reason, seem to follow exactly the same narrative. We shouldn't just be winning more of these games - we should be dominating some of them.

For those that think this is entertaining, I'd argue that:

1) Your perception of what is entertainment has been skewed since you haven't been back in the stadiums. My definition of an entertaining loss is going down 5-4, not losing 1-0 to a team that have mustered only 14 points all year and saw our "improved" second half consist of 45 minutes of spraying the ball from side to side, back to the defence, in front of a wall in the penalty area. I am really certain that once you're back in the stands, this will get old very, very quickly.

2) I may be shot down in flames for saying this, but classing this as entertainment is following the same line of thinking as the supporters of the ESL: results don't matter as much as the quality of football on offer. Again, once we're back in grounds I'm convinced Albion fans won't be settling for so-called nice football that gets us zero points in a game against relegation fodder.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here