Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are in deep trouble

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Saint Lennard said:
Are you questioning the boards position or their usual lack of planning?

It's either one or the other isn't it.

Either we were in no position to be splashing out on players like Jarret and Molango if we're not going to play them. Especially after McGhee said he would not bring anyone in unless they added something to the squad. How did we afford Currie in the forst place etc?

Or

The board are making a deliberate effort to plead poverty just before the enquiry re-opens.

I'm not overly happy with either of these options being true but I don't follow the line club is selling us that after a play-off final and WIN, and new home strip to sell (albeit a shit one), money from Currie, money from Spurs. Not to mention that our running costs at Withdean have now been reduced doe to Evercot pissing off.

Why are we suddenly more skint than ever? Put it this way, had we not of won the play-offs, not had Currie to sell and not drawn Spurs in the cup would we be out of business now?

I just don't buy that.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Saint Lennard said:
I agree about the cost of living but sorry but i think DK is lying. How come Mansfield could fully meet Trevor Benjamins salary but we couldn't without rockin the boat?

How on Earth would Knight know what the other teams playing budgets were anyway?

smells like bollocks to me too!

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
But we need answers as to why all of a sudden we are in such a crisis.
I hope it is not too bad but i am beggining to fear the worse.Lets hope the board put our minds at rest,if they can.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
CrabtreeBHA said:
I think the low response to the A&K fund has forced them to sell players to get too £2.5m, just my view like

Yep.....the begging bowl idea was never going to raise 2.5M as its the same old people putting their hands in their pockets to fill the black hole....it was optional and many have opted out.
The board have to realise that there is only so much money people will throw in the bucket.

Would a more defined "goal" have raised money? possibly

Although its very important People have little interest in the admin side of the business thats the directors baby...a lot of the fans are team orientated and would give money if it improved the playing side

The share option idea has been considered too expensive ...this would give some a feeling of value for their money but if lost in admin charges would achieve little

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Also if it is announced, the Nimbys will love it, they want to see us go down

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Lammy said:
Now you are talking sense. I feel the same. I just don't understand how this sudden panic for money has crept up on us. So much so that we are selling everyone. All this in a year where;

We have made the play-offs.
Released a new home kit.
Sold Currie for £250,000
A big money match against Spurs.

Why were we signing new players at the start of the season if we has no money then? I know that we have the new enquiry but it's not THAT expensive. The Currie sale alone should cover the extra cost involved in that. What about the other massive income we've had this year?

Not one for conspiracy theories but a few weeks ago Sporting Options went tits up and Kevin Griffiths quit/booted out as one of our directors and now all of a sudden we are in this financial crisis.
So are the two things related ?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Ernest said:
Not one for conspiracy theories but a few weeks ago Sporting Options went tits up and Kevin Griffiths quit/booted out as one of our directors and now all of a sudden we are in this financial crisis.

tut tut tut Ernest ...you know DK is not involved with that

Looking forward to seeing the club 2004 accounts ..that will give us a better idea of whats happening... bet they wont be filed for some time

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Ernest said:

Wash your mouth out with soap and water

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Ernest said:
I'm into conspiracy theories today and how about this one ? What would DK love for Xmas ? Someone to come in for Magoo and pay him the compo then welcome back MA and everyone (except me) loves DK forever and ever.

No make Steve Claridge manager on the cheap

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Ernest said:
I'm into conspiracy theories today and how about this one ? What would DK love for Xmas ? Someone to come in for Magoo and pay him the compo then welcome back MA and everyone (except me) loves DK forever and ever.

NO, NO NO... Not the Poison dwarf back?

Although...... back to the closed body language whilst those around me cap him to the dugout........happy times:)

Oh... it was only a nightmare...back to sleep.....:yawn:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
ILOVEBHA said:
How come we signed Nicolas from Chelsea if we are so in need.It just doesn`t make sense.

That was before the announcement of YET ANOTHER Public Inquiry.

We will be okay once Falmer gets a YES (not least because the "Stadium Company" will pay back the "Football Company" the upfront costs (around £2.5m and rising at present)...

But we need to survive until then .... and the potential timing of the General Election may mean that it's next Autumn before we get that "YES" verdict.

Thats a whole 12 MONTHS later than we expected - 12 MONTHS more bills to pay (and bear in mind we lose around £1m each season at Withdean so without raising funds, the shortfall is growing every day)

We didn't know that when we signed Nicolas (but that was still a shrewd piece of business, despite having to pay his wages). He currently has my vote for "player of the season"

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Robert Lester Zamora said:
[B

We will be okay once Falmer gets a YES ... but we need to surive until then .... and the potential timing of the General Election may mean that it's next Autumn before we get that "YES" verdict.

" [/B]

So now it's this time next year before we're likely to know. When did that new timing spring up ffs?:angry:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Icy Gull said:
So now it's this time next year before we're likely to know. When did that new timing spring up ffs?:angry:

Next it will be because John Prescot has left office, or the Labour party lost the election, or ......

The fact is that trying to get a stadium on the cheap through scrounged money will never happen. Our only hope is an owner with real money that can buy a non-controversial site, and build a stadium. Hopefully, with expansion potential for the future. I don't know where to find one though!:nono:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Nothing new on the timing front

Inquiry re-opens Feb 8th (approx - haven't checked exact)
Closes Feb 28th (approx - haven't checked exact)

Inspector write his report and delivers to Prescott - Mar 28th.

General Election called for May 5th ... Purdah begins Apr 5th (no deicisons allowed)

Apr 5th - Mar 28th gives Prescott 7 days to review report and make verdict ... all the while electioneering is going on around.

All it will take is for those 7 days to be lost in the Inquiry for the decision to be postponed until after the election.

We need a JUNE election day from Blair to give us our best chance of getting the YES before we go to the polls.

If it slips to after the election then it could get further complicated as roles and responsibilities may change.

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
One the reasons why Brighton are in financial trouble is that they we pay the employees too much.

According to last years accounts Brighton had 70 employees with a wage bill of £3.1M. Of these 70 employees, less than 30 are pro footballers. This leaves 40 employees who would average no more than £25k per year = £1M.
This leaves over £2.1M to be shared out amongst 30 players and the manager, i.e. an average of £70k each!

By comparison Plymouth had 88 employees and a wage bill of £2.1m.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Robert Lester Zamora said:
We will be okay once Falmer gets a YES (not least because the "Stadium Company" will pay back the "Football Company" the upfront costs (around £2.5m and rising at present)...

Yes, but that money will be needed to keep the club going until the stadium is actually built.

It will also leave the club with no cash to invest in the stadium itself.

Sorry, I'm depressing myself...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here