Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, but it's not his decision to make - until his contract runs out in the summer. He's been with us for 9 years, and if we need him he stays.

Is it not business acumen suggest that if something is worth something today, but is worthless tomorrow, it might be worth taking the money when its there?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He won't be worthless assuming we offer him a contract. He's under 24 so won't be going for free

We have to match Bournemouths offer, and if he isn't in Gus's plans, is it really fair on the player? Would the compensation be anywhere near the transfer fee, considering he has made about 5 appearances for us ?

Stumpy Tim

We have to match Bournemouths offer, and if he isn't in Gus's plans, is it really fair on the player? Would the compensation be anywhere near the transfer fee, considering he has made about 5 appearances for us ?

Considering they've bid £170k it would be about the same I imagine. I'm not sure what "is it really fair on the player?" means - we've looked after him for NINE years and helped make him the player he is. So asking him to stay for the last six months of his contract doesn't seem unfair to be honest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Considering they've bid £170k it would be about the same I imagine. I'm not sure what "is it really fair on the player?" means - we've looked after him for NINE years and helped make him the player he is. So asking him to stay for the last six months of his contract doesn't seem unfair to be honest.

And do what? Stick him in the development squad playing 1 or 2 games a month against Bumfuck FC? Or are you suggesting we drop one/two of El-Abd/Greer/Calderon/Vincelot/Painter/Dunk/Tanno ?

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Surely we should........

I expect that we will let Hall go as well. Why would we want to keep our home grown potential stars of the future when we can buy knackered old latinos who when they are not on the physio's couch, could be driving their car around without a licence? (Allegedly)

I quite Tarrico but his attitude and temperament on the pitch stinks, Hall was very, very impressive and once he came on, he lit LuaLua's blue touchpaper and off we went.

Forget the Chilean, he can go to Bournemouth and make those who are suspended fight for their places. Greer has not been too brilliant either lately and his sending off was a disgrace. Clough would be giving El-Abd the armband after that appalling behaviour.

Stumpy Tim

And do what? Stick him in the development squad playing 1 or 2 games a month against Bumfuck FC? Or are you suggesting we drop one/two of El-Abd/Greer/Calderon/Vincelot/Painter/Dunk/Tanno ?

If you go back to what I originally said - "Yes, but it's not his decision to make - until his contract runs out in the summer. He's been with us for 9 years, and if we need him he stays." - then you'll notice I didn't say we did or didn't need him. I said IF we need him he stays. That's up to Gus to decide

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I think going to Bournemouth would be a better move than staying here playing in the DS and getting the odd sub appearence. I dont think we can promise him the games he needs. I would love him to stay, i really would but i think holding him back from the move is really not on, unless Gus truely see's him in his plans.

He has played out of his skin at Bournemouth and when your playing well you will want to play every week and thats somthing he can do with Bournemouth and DEVELOP which is what he set out to do 2 months ago.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you go back to what I originally said - "Yes, but it's not his decision to make - until his contract runs out in the summer. He's been with us for 9 years, and if we need him he stays." - then you'll notice I didn't say we did or didn't need him. I said IF we need him he stays. That's up to Gus to decide

Correct, but we don't need him to stay and that is why a transfer has been agreed. I think Gus will offer him something, but ultimately cannot offer him first team games. And when you've had a run with Bournemouth in League 1, and a big appearance in a 22k seater stadium, you don't want to lose that buzz, I imagine.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The club have said they hope to be a Premier League side in the next 2/3 or so leagues right.

Cook, when everyone is fit, isn't going to be starting games this season. By the time he is good enough to play for our current first team, we're hoping to be either a top, top Championship club or in the top tier.

I simply don't think Cook will be good enough to play for us if we achieve where we want to be. That's not to say he is not a good player, or can not become a good player, but he could very easily stay here and get left behind, only to be released in 2/3 years time, with very few apps to his name and trying to find a club.

It makes sense for him to take a step down now, play regular football, and see where it takes him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have to match Bournemouths offer,

No we don't. That isnt how it works at all. We merely have to match his own current deal here, to be due compensation if he turns it down and signs elsewhere.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No we don't. That isnt how it works at all. We merely have to match his own current deal here, to be due compensation if he turns it down and signs elsewhere.

My bad, I couldn't find the exact rulings. My point still stands though, that I think it is probably for the best that he leaves.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Hi there

Bournemouth fan here... Firstly congrats on Saturday... Always nice to see 'them down the road' losing... and seeing as I was brought up in Hove, I still look out for the Albion..

RE Cook, I have been reading this thread with interest as there is loads of speculation about Cook on our boards also... He has been playing really well and if signed, would be one of the first names on the team sheet for us...

Looking at Twitter feeds it would appear he is coming to us, but who believes Twitter these days... I can understand that most of you on here think of us as 'little old Bournemouth' and why would he want to come to us...and rightly so... We don't have a 20k plus new stadium that gets sold out regularly... We don't have a 'City' that can supply thousands of fans and we don't have an extremely rich fan for a Chairman like you do, and we are not in the Championship...

However, we do have the one thing he wants... First team football week in week out... As a team we are now starting to gel and climb back up the table... We are playing good football again, which suits Cook as he always tries to play on the deck, and, we do have some money behind us now and are investing in a young, creative squad...

After losing our entire starting 11, from last season, in the summer, I think most had us relegated, but we are coming together... We have plans to buy the ground back and complete it, and maybe, just maybe, Cook sees the bigger picture and likes the sound of being part of this transition, and hopefully climbing into the Championship in a couple of seasons time...

He has dealt with the whole situation impeccably and has come out and said that his heart lies with Brighton, but I reckon he would rather play every week, drop leagues, and potentially pay, than just collect a pay packet, playing reserve football for the most...

Personally, I hope he comes to us (and I think he will)... It is nice though to see a footballer not just thinking about his bank balance and making career decisions because of what really matters to him... football...

Good luck for the rest of the season folks... and hopefully we will be joining Brighton in the C'ship in a couple of years...

Wherever Cook goes, it will be the right move for him...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Cook, when everyone is fit, isn't going to be starting games this season.

And why not exactly? He put in the best performance I've seen this season at RB. Calderon hasn't been able to hold down the RB spot (correctly so in my opinion), Reyes has gone back and even if we sign him may be better in midfield, and ElAbd is definitely not a RB. What other RBs do we have?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
And why not exactly? He put in the best performance I've seen this season at RB. Calderon hasn't been able to hold down the RB spot (correctly so in my opinion), Reyes has gone back and even if we sign him may be better in midfield, and ElAbd is definitely not a RB. What other RBs do we have?

Poyet will stick will go straight back to Calderon once he's fit.

Cook is also a centre back and im sure cook will want to make a career out being a centre back and not being a bit part player being moved around to fit in where he can (see AEA for example).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here