Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Cook's performance today was the best I've seen from a right back for us this season. On that showing he should be first choice. Grant Hall did OK when he came on too. Much as I have almost blind faith in Gus perhasp it's time he let some of our youth out. Unless he's been keeping them back for the second half of the season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He is defo gone, just a matter of when.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
"[MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION]Cook28: Can't forgot the wonder goal from [MENTION=6286]matt[/MENTION]ySparrow10 wow!" Were gona miss you mate!!
direct from twitter

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's a real shame and quite a blow if he does go. Looked steadier than Calderon has this season and adds a bit more physical presence which is apparently what you need in this division.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Albion defender Steve Cook's immediate future remains in the balance tonight, after the young defender helped the Seagulls to a memorable 3-0 win over Southampton to kick off 2012.

Cook has been on loan at Bournemouth for the past two months, and looked set to complete a permanent move this week after the two clubs had agreed a fee for the 20-year-old.

However, Albion only have four available defenders for next week's FA Cup tie with Wrexham: Cook, fellow youngster Grant Hall, Adam El-Abd and Romain Vincelot, who returns from suspension.

Cook said, "I'm not sure what's going to happen so it is a case of wait and see. It's out of my hands now, and at the moment there is no decision to make. I will just keep on doing my job and I will have to see what develops in the next few days.

"I have been at Brighton since I was nine years of age, and I feel I have developed so much as a player under Gus Poyet, Mauricio Taricco, Charlie Oatway and Luke Williams over the last two years, and with the progress the club is making it would be hard to leave.

"But I want to play regular football and the loan spell at Bournemouth has been fantastic for me. Lee Bradbury has given me my first real break in terms of playing games - and I will always be grateful for that. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens now the transfer window is open."

Albion boss Poyet, speaking after his impressive performance against Southampton, admits Cook is in a "win-win" situation, and is set to hold further discussions with the defender this week.

However, if the win over Saints is to be Cook's final appearance for his local club, it will be a perfect Seagulls swansong.

Cook added, "It was brilliant. I don't think today could have gone any better. The sending off to Rickie Lambert helped us out a bit, but we deserved the three points.

"I've known the players for a long time so it wasn't difficult to slot in. They helped me out a bit and it couldn't have gone better for me.

"I usually play centre-back but last season I played right-back a bit and I like to think that I can play in either position, so it didn't fuss me.

"Beating Southampton 3-0 at home was a great way to start the year. The fans were amazing and they were like an extra man today."

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | What Does Future Hold for Cook?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The other players are saying cheerio to him on Twitter, so it looks like Cookie wants to go to Bournemouth.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think we need to keep him but I think he wants regular first team football and we cant assure him of that.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think we need to keep him but I think he wants regular first team football and we cant assure him of that.

We can offer him regular first team football as number one RB. Much better than Calderon on yesterday's showing. And his value is that he can obviously cover as CB as his (I presume) preferred position.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I absolutely agree...

With Dunky likely to leave (hopefully not in this window) surely the Cookie Monster can see he has a bright future with us in the Championship?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
It's his choice really.

I'm sure we'll offer him a new contract, but if he'd rather sign for Bournemouth, where he may be happier, then that's what will happen.

Still, I hope he'll sign a new deal with us.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The problem your looking at here is how long will he stay in the first team? he could easily drop back down to 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice.

Poyet hasnt been very forward comming in bringing through the youth players so he might not see his chance with us.

Were as Bournemouth have given him his break and no doubt will play pretty much every week.

I hope he stays, but what a refreshing change for a player to be thinking about playing games rather than the money.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Apart from Munkfish no one on this thread has thought to think that maybe the player wants to go??

He'll be first choice at Bournemouth I expect, he's come up from the youth team so he'll be on bugger all wages here which I'm sure will increase. He'll no doubt get a whacking great signing on fee and there is a good chance he won't have to relocate.

I'm sure every player wants to play at the highest level possible but in the same breath I'm sure everyone just wants to play. With everyone fit does he have a place in our first team or even on the bench? The form would suggest not.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Great to see such confidence in a young player - nothing fazed him yesterday and he looked good going forward.

I would imagine Bournemouth looked like a better option for him until yesterday. Playing to a full house in a 3-0 win like that, and performing well personally, must have made some sort of impact. With the way our injuries and suspensions are going there's always the chance of a run in the team, especially as league safety becomes less of an issue. If it really is his decision I hope he hangs around at least until the end of the season before going down a division, if that's what he decides to do.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He's been massively wrong before but the suggestion from Naylor on the livechat is not if but when. I guss we might keep him until the ned of this month to allow players to recover from injuries etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here