Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ways to make Britain a better country...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Following on from the "New coinage" thread I made the point there that the 1p and 2p coins seem, in my book, to be entirely superfluous and a complete waste of space, and I contend that getting rid would be a popular measure.

What other small changes should be made to make Britain a better place?..

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
National holidays for major days and fesitvals in other peoples religions, perhaps making way for current public holidays, to promote and embrace cultural diversity.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Following on from the "New coinage" thread I made the point there that the 1p and 2p coins seem, in my book, to be entirely superfluous and a complete waste of space, and I contend that getting rid would be a popular measure.

so if you bought items that came to 9.97 and you gave a tenner....how would you get given your rightful change? Lose the 3p? sake

Shops and offices should be compelled to close for two hours at lunchtime every day. All workers should have a two hour lunchbreak.

The only places to stay open between 1pm and 3pm should be places that provide some sort of leisure facility.

We might then wake up to the fact that there is more to life than shopping and working.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Actually look at the reasons behind gun crime, violence, binge drinking and the depression of school children rather than enforcing reactionary laws and continuing with the same target lead society.

Make Remembrance day a public holiday again.

Reduce speed limits for all vehicles in towns to a max of 30 mph and down to 20 mph in residential areas,

evidence in Hull has shown that this reduces casulties by 90%

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Stop picking on motorists as easy targets
Drop this carbon footprint BOLLOCKS
Bring back national service
St. George's Day a national holiday

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stop picking on motorists as easy targets
Drop this carbon footprint BOLLOCKS
Bring back national service
St. George's Day a national holiday

3 out of 4.

Devolution for Scotland
Fewer MPs (say 250 max) and elected Upper Chamber (100 full time paid 'Senators')
Abolish the 'honours' system entirely
Ban the sale of OK, Hello and any other 'celebrity' pap
Re-instate Test Cricket, England Football and Rugby internationals live on BBC TV

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Open up sports academies and make sport cheaper and more accessible for kids. Sport needs to be cheaper that binge drinking.

National holidays for major days and fesitvals in other peoples religions, perhaps making way for current public holidays, to promote and embrace cultural diversity.

Instead of that why not make each nation in the UK have a public holiday on or near their relevant patron Saint's Day?

England 23rd April
Northern Ireland 17th March ( in fact this is already a Public Holiday in NI)
Wales 1st March
Scotland 30th November

Compared to the rest of Europe we are the poor relations when it comes to public holidays.

Also make the nearest Monday to Remembrance Sunday a public holiday too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here