Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I feel sorry for him really.

He's "carrying the weight of the nation" and all that. Which is a bit of a bugger really.

But what are the press hoping for? This week, it's almost as if they are hoping he boils over in the WC, so they have their scapegoat. Let's face it, he got away with things in 2006 because of Ronaldo's wink - this time he's probably not going to be so lucky.

He's been ranked alongside Messi and Ronaldo. But who by? Granted, he's had a brilliant season, but is he really "best in the world" material, or is he just a brilliant footballer domestically? I'm not so sure. Who would you rather bank on to score a one on one, Rooney or Torres?

I just get the feeling that if we don't get to the semi finals and if he isn't banging them in from the start, he's going to get the blame from the press and the public. The hype surrounding him is a bit too much. Yes, he's our best player, but we shouldn't be expecting him to deliver world class performances in every game, should we?

Just me?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good post - agree with everything you've stated.

I've got a feeling he's not fit from his ankle injury either. Hope I'm wrong.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
He really is up against it more than any other player. No one really expects Gerrard or Lampard to play well, but Rooney is the one hope.

If he does get himself sent off then he'll be despised like Beckham in 98

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel sorry for him really.

He's "carrying the weight of the nation" and all that. Which is a bit of a bugger really.

Wouldn't worry, Spud's not bright enough to be bovvered. Gazza used to maintain that the only time he escaped the pressures of all the shit that goes with bigtime football and achieved an odd kind of peace and quiet was when he was on the pitch and he was left alone to do the only thing in the world he was any good at. Plus Rooney's been playing at the highest level for a long time now. Sadly though, all the bollocks about him being a mature and disciplined professional are just that. No idea how the likes of Terry and Ferdinand can spout that shit with a straight face. Like Gazza before him, Spud is his own worst enemy and is almost nailed-on to pick up a red card sooner rather than later. Oh well.

I always get the impression that Rooney is more in the attacking mid role. Of course you'd have him in your team but wouldn't he be so much more use if there was an out and out fox in the box type to stay right up top while he rampages up the pitch with the ball. Currently we have er, Jermain Defoe.

It pains me when I hear people say Rooney should play on his own up front when he does the most damage in the 3rd quarter of the pitch.

Everyone seems to have pinned their hopes on Rooney, because the back up is Heskey, Crouch and Defoe. Only Crouch scores goals, he has a better scoring record then Rooney in recent times?

Well said the ching chong Chinaman.

We have ZERO other striking options, therefore he's pretty much expected to do the work of 3 men. He's good but no superhuman.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
the entire midfield and strikeforce were a f***ing DISGRACE tonight.

However, I bounce this thread save in the knowledge that it will be Rooney scapegoated by the press in the morning

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, I'm glad Rooney reacted like that.

He is pissed off.

He's been shit so far, but one thing he is not is a mincing Premiership bling merchant.

I've got a good feeling that the scousers will get us through.

Don't panic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is Rooney that thick that he doesn't realise why the team and him more than anyone deserved booing? Yeah he probably is isn't he.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
If, as his Nike advert suggests, that Wayne Rooney is 'writing the future', from here the future looks like a pile of abject shit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here