Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we have a chance, I just don't agree with your attitude that anything less than winning the whole thing is failure. We could only say that if we were the best team in the world.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
One thing is this thread certainly made me realise how much i cant wait for this world cup!!!! No doubt we will do our normal and make hard work of it against the so called easier teams but raise our game for the big teams...(bit like The albion) but i reckon weve got as good a chance as anyone and come June/July all this terry/Bridge/cole rubbish will be forgotten ........def think we can make the semis.......best chance weve had for years i reckon to make the final. :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If England do play Spain in South Africa we'll turn it into a home match, so whether or not Spain ARE better I'd still back us to get through that tie. I feel that the England players are less likely to bottle it - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Rio, Terry are all older and wiser and have had a lot of success since WC2006.

This would be the Spain which is currently unbeaten in the last 45 games, winning 42 of them ? Afraid I cannot join you in backing us to turn them over if we meet them. I know "on our day" etc, but I fear they would be far too adept at exposing our shortcomings at the back.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I shouldn't think Mike Parry is too far out there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This would be the Spain which is currently unbeaten in the last 45 games, winning 42 of them ? Afraid I cannot join you in backing us to turn them over if we meet them. I know "on our day" etc, but I fear they would be far too adept at exposing our shortcomings at the back.

It's also the Spain that's done f*** all and even less than England in the last 10 World Cups.

Easy, don't forget Spain lost 2-0 to USA in Bloemfontein last July in the Semi-Final of the Confederations Cup WITH THEIR STRONGEST XI.

A defense of Ramos, Pique, Capdevila and Puyol includes 2 guys aged 32 and a bloke Sir Alex rejected.

Add to that a stadium with 20,000 Englishmen vs 2,000 Spaniards and Rooney in the form of his life and, yes, I reckon we could do them in extra time. At least that's what I'd be saying if I was Cappello, in my pigeon Eenglish.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The time to judge Rooney is at the end of his career when there is something worthwhile to measure him against.

At this moment in time he is playing some magnificent football helped by being in a team that is built around him and whose tactics and formation is designed to get the ball to him most of the time. Much like Southampton and Matt Le Tissier, only better.

As far as England is concerned, I genuinely think we have a great chance this summer and the main reason for that is what Cappello seems to be doing. In the past, under Hoddle, Ericsson (at World Cups) and Steve Maclaren, there has always seem to have been that mental weakness that will conquer us.

Obviously the players, especially Rooney, need to be fit but all things being equal, I don't think we have anything to fear from any other team.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
As mentioned earlier, I think England without Rooney are probably quarter-finalists. With him though, anything can be achieved. He is a genius. 1 genius player + several very good players = a potential World Cup winning team.

It is possible for one brilliant player to drag a team almost single-handedly to World Cup glory as long as his team-mates are not total mugs. Look at Maradona in 86. The France side in 98 were excellent defensively but going forward they had some utter clowns. Dugarry and Guivarch were exceptionally ordinary players who both played quite a lot in that World Cup campaign. Without Zidane, there is no way they could have won that WC.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
MAn U have developed him - no doubt about it. Not least in a maturity sense where his development is far above that that would have occurred naturally or via Evertons developmental program.

I disagree, I think he would have matured quicker at Everton as he was quickly becoming their star man. I don't remember him being reckless in challenges or back chatting the ref whilst at the toffees and staying their would have turned him into a reliable experienced head on the field.

But with United he has had the training and development that he would never have got at Goodison. His runs and his movements now are so different, the way he involves others in the play is incredible. As a youngster he used to drop deep and try and run through teams to score spectatular goals but now he pushes defenders back and creates space for his team mates to play.

I still think that he is best suited to a team that has a second striker who plays off the shoulder of the last man and creates the space for Rooney to utilise. Vann Nistelrooy did that role so well for Rooney and it complimented his ability on the ball.

If you take him out of a United side then they look like they will struggle to score goals, they need to get some creativity and pace across the midfield.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
being a bit of an international football spastic these days (time differences and crap coverage over here means i don't watch much anymore), can someone tell me who the favorites are this time? i kind of get the impression that there aren't any teams that really stand out and that the favorites are just the usual suspects (Brazil, Spain...and i'm assuming Italy and Germany will be at least half decent regardless of their odds).

also it seems like every 4 years the English whip themselves up into a patriotic delusional state where everyone believes that 'this is our year'. is that happening again or do we really (really) have a good chance?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rooney is being hyped because he is English, plays for Manchester United and the media had a ready to go angle about him stepping out of the shadows now the Ronaldo has f***ed off to Real Madrid
Moyes is a f***ing excellent manager and Rooney could quite feasibly be playing to hte level he is know we lived in a different world where the likes of Everton could have kept hold of a player of his marketability

A couple of years ago, the Guardian did a survey of Prem teams and points earned per money spent on transfer fees. IIRC, Moyes came second after Wenger and would have topped it if it were on points earned per money spent on transfer fees and salaries - he's an impressive performer.

Interesting you mention Real Madrid, I see the Standard's headline yesterday was that RM want Rooney and are prepared to spend big to get him. Isn't how this always starts? Real Madrid leak to the press they want a player, the player's club denies he's for sale and a few months later moves to Real Madrid for lots of money (see Beckham, Kaka, Ronaldo etc).

As others have said, Man U have built a style around Rooney so I reckon Fergie will go ballistic if he goes. But if Real Madrid want him, they'll get him.

As others have said, Man U have built a style around Rooney so I reckon Fergie will go ballistic if he goes. But if Real Madrid want him, they'll get him.

I don't think that's true for an English player in the same way that it is for a foreign player though. Foreign players don't like the British weather and the fact they have to live in Manchester. Rooney is used to the weather and Manchester is a step up from Liverpool :wink: so he's happy. I can't see Rooney leaving for Real Madrid anytime soon. Beckham only left because Ferguson made it clear he wanted him to leave.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think that's true for an English player in the same way that it is for a foreign player though. Foreign players don't like the British weather and the fact they have to live in Manchester. Rooney is used to the weather and Manchester is a step up from Liverpool :wink: so he's happy. I can't see Rooney leaving for Real Madrid anytime soon. Beckham only left because Ferguson made it clear he wanted him to leave.

Maybe. But remember it's not Fergie's choice, if the Glazers get offered £100m for Rooney (not impossible), they'll just see the cash.

Manchester might be a step up from Liverpool but Madrid's several steps up from Manchester. I can certainly see Colleen fancying it - particularly if there's a big salary increase involved.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
If England do play Spain in South Africa we'll turn it into a home match, so whether or not Spain ARE better I'd still back us to get through that tie. I feel that the England players are less likely to bottle it - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Rio, Terry are all older and wiser and have had a lot of success since WC2006.

As for Brazil, yes, I'd concede they're better than England, but then it comes down to what happens on the day. Just because Brazil are better it doesn't mean if they played us 10 times they'd beat us 10 times. Recent matches between the two countries have been very close, and if we get our best side out that day we'll have a real chance.

Quality OPTIMISM.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I feel that the England players are less likely to bottle it - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Rio, Terry are all older and wiser and have had a lot of success since WC2006.

I think this is highly debatable. No doubt Rooney has had stacks of success since, but the others?

Lampard/Terry - before WC '06 they'd won back to back league titles and reached a couple of Champions Lge semis. Since then: no league titles (until this year?), one Cham Lge final loss and a couple of other semis. I suppose you could throw in 2 FA cups too.

Gerrard - one Cham Lge final loss. Can't think of anything else?

Rio - same club honours as Rooney of course, but general consensus seems to be that the quality of his play has, if anything, gone backwards.

Every single world cup it seems to be "England's best chance since 1966". Dull.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I think this is highly debatable. No doubt Rooney has had stacks of success since, but the others?

Lampard/Terry - before WC '06 they'd won back to back league titles and reached a couple of Champions Lge semis. Since then: no league titles (until this year?), one Cham Lge final loss and a couple of other semis. I suppose you could throw in 2 FA cups too.

Gerrard - one Cham Lge final loss. Can't think of anything else?

Rio - same club honours as Rooney of course, but general consensus seems to be that the quality of his play has, if anything, gone backwards.

Every single world cup it seems to be "England's best chance since 1966". Dull.

Fabio Capello.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here