Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

sorry mellotron , ive come to appreciate some of your posts, but to be frank that attitude stinks, what the f*** is the point in turning up if going out in the semis will 'do you just fine', that outlook encapsulates just why we dont realise our potential and teams like the aussies scorn our shitty 'gallant losers' approach.

Are you going to SLAM the team when they lose on penalties to Brazil in the final then, having drawn the game 3-3, because their attitude stunk and they should've WON?

If England go out in the semis, I'll be disappointed, but not at the players particularly (unless it really is a rank performance). At the end of the day, semi-final is a par/good achievement for a team that I'd probably rank somewhere between 3rd-5th in the world.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Rooney is being hyped because he is English, plays for Manchester United and the media had a ready to go angle about him stepping out of the shadows now the Ronaldo has f***ed off to Real Madrid
Moyes is a f***ing excellent manager and Rooney could quite feasibly be playing to hte level he is know we lived in a different world where the likes of Everton could have kept hold of a player of his marketability

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Moyes is a f***ing excellent manager and Rooney could quite feasibly be playing to hte level he is know we lived in a different world where the likes of Everton could have kept hold of a player of his marketability

And there is the nub of the argument.

Rewind to the early 80s and if Rooney was around then he would have been able to stay at Everton and be one of the best players in the world.

Yes Ferguson has nurtured his talent, but I bet Moyes could burture Ryan Giggs if he'd paid £30m for him when he was 18.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Moyes is a good manager, nobody is disputing that.
But Rooney has now also had the benefit of 6 years Champions League experience under his belt. Would he have got that at Everton ?

He is one of the best because he is consistantly playing with and against the best. No way would he have got that at Goodison.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
sorry mellotron , ive come to appreciate some of your posts, but to be frank that attitude stinks, what the f*** is the point in turning up if going out in the semis will 'do you just fine', that outlook encapsulates just why we dont realise our potential and teams like the aussies scorn our shitty 'gallant losers' approach.

For most "realising our potential" could reasonably be getting to the semis, no? The problem is I am actually quietly a bit more optimistic than this, but I know if I suggest we could make the final I'd be shouted down and called every name under the sun. Can't win.

On our day, we COULD (with a bit of luck perhaps) beat Brazil/Spain.

Do you not think Semis could be regarded as a "good showing"? Being one of the top 4 teams in the world?

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Are you going to SLAM the team when they lose on penalties to Brazil in the final then, having drawn the game 3-3, because their attitude stunk and they should've WON?

If England go out in the semis, I'll be disappointed, but not at the players particularly (unless it really is a rank performance). At the end of the day, semi-final is a par/good achievement for a team that I'd probably rank somewhere between 3rd-5th in the world.
That wasn't what i was alluding to , and to be honest i think you know it,so i'm baffled as to why you asked the question, but i will if they GO OUT THERE with the atttitude that reaching the semis will ' do them just fine ' do YOU think that attitude is conducive to winning ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
For most "realising our potential" could reasonably be getting to the semis, no? The problem is I am actually quietly a bit more optimistic than this, but I know if I suggest we could make the final I'd be shouted down and called every name under the sun. Can't win.

On our day, we COULD (with a bit of luck perhaps) beat Brazil/Spain.

Do you not think Semis could be regarded as a "good showing"? Being one of the top 4 teams in the world?
Of getting to the semis would be regarded as a good showing on reflection, the point i am trying to make is that the attitude of putting up a ' good showing ' is pervasive throughout british sport and is , in my opinion what sepearates winners from also rans.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of getting to the semis would be regarded as a good showing on reflection, the point i am trying to make is that the attitude of putting up a ' good showing ' is pervasive throughout british sport and is , in my opinion what sepearates winners from also rans.

If I was in the England squad I certainly wouldn't have the attitude I displayed above, I'm talking as an observer who can have no effect on the matches. I fully expect Don Fabio will instill the right competitive attitude in the players.

I can see where you are coming from though historically and do agree to an extent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let's not forget our Press can swing both ways....sometimes it's all: "golden generation, best in the world, ENGLAND EXPECTS, this is our year etc"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Firstly, David Moyes is a brilliant manager. Then, assuming Rooney had stayed with Everton, they would be challenging for a Top 4 spot.

The only difference betwen Rooney now and a Rooney with Everton is that he wouldn't have played all those Champions League matches and got used to beating the best. That's given him that inbuilt confidence and fearlessness that the truly great players like Charlton, Best and Zidane had.

That wasn't what i was alluding to , and to be honest i think you know it,so i'm baffled as to why you asked the question, but i will if they GO OUT THERE with the atttitude that reaching the semis will ' do them just fine ' do YOU think that attitude is conducive to winning ?

How am I supposed to know that if you slam the attitude of one guy, posting on a message board? Last time I checked he wasn't Capello, or in the England squad, so how is the view of one fan relevant? Besides which, you are deluded if you think that every professional sportsperson turns up at their event planning on winning the thing...

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008

Agreed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
one guy, posting on a message board? Last time I checked he wasn't Capello...

I was about to ask how you "checked" but then remembered Google Street View Sussex coming live today! :thumbsup:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How am I supposed to know that if you slam the attitude of one guy, posting on a message board? Last time I checked he wasn't Capello, or in the England squad, so how is the view of one fan relevant? Besides which, you are deluded if you think that every professional sportsperson turns up at their event planning on winning the thing...
How the hell are you supposed to know ? you've answered your own question , ' by slamming the attitude of one guy ' , secondly you are also deluded if you think , that i think, every professional sportsperson turns up with that attitude , of course they dont , but winners do, and lastly , f*** off with your brow beating attitude.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How the hell are you supposed to know ? you've answered your own question , ' by slamming the attitude of one guy ' , secondly you are also deluded if you think , that i think, every professional sportsperson turns up with that attitude , of course they dont , but winners do, and lastly , f*** off with your brow beating attitude.

Calm down dear!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the year - it's shit or bust. We're not gonna win in Brazil 2014 - Brazil and Argentina will be hot favourites and the climate will not suit us. Therefore, nothing less than winning will do.

Hypothetically, many people would probably take being a losing finalist if offered, simply because it would constitute some measure of success and the country would get to experience the build-up and the event of a World Cup Final. For me, it's really time.

I think Rooney is the most dangerous player we've had for ages - truly world class. But all of the other real world football powers - Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy have all won in the last 25 years and, in Italy's case, with an inferior team on paper to ours now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is the year - it's shit or bust. We're not gonna win in Brazil 2014 - Brazil and Argentina will be hot favourites and the climate will not suit us. Therefore, nothing less than winning will do.

Hypothetically, many people would probably take being a losing finalist if offered, simply because it would constitute some measure of success and the country would get to experience the build-up and the event of a World Cup Final. For me, it's really time.

I think Rooney is the most dangerous player we've had for ages - truly world class. But all of the other real world football powers - Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy have all won in the last 25 years and, in Italy's case, with an inferior team on paper to ours now.

But Spain and Brazil instrinsically ARE better teams than us, don't you agree?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If England do play Spain in South Africa we'll turn it into a home match, so whether or not Spain ARE better I'd still back us to get through that tie. I feel that the England players are less likely to bottle it - Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Rio, Terry are all older and wiser and have had a lot of success since WC2006.

As for Brazil, yes, I'd concede they're better than England, but then it comes down to what happens on the day. Just because Brazil are better it doesn't mean if they played us 10 times they'd beat us 10 times. Recent matches between the two countries have been very close, and if we get our best side out that day we'll have a real chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here