Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Heard Mike Parry on Talk Sport saying that he thinks Rooney is the best English player since WW2.

Obviously as an Everton fan he has a 'rose coloured' view to this but would Rooney have developed into the player that he is now if he'd stayed at Goodison Park?

Or have Manchester United made him what he is today?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Parry is a complete buffoon, he's been fellating Rooney since he was 16 (figuratively speaking).

I do think Fergie has brought out his best potential though. There's a real maturity about him these days, on and off the pitch. Thats something Fergie seems able to instill in a lot of his young players.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
MAn U have developed him - no doubt about it. Not least in a maturity sense where his development is far above that that would have occurred naturally or via Evertons developmental program.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You can only build on what is there in him already IMO, no doubt he wouldn't have got to this level staying at Everton, United know how to bring these players to their best.

I can't imagine there are many football loving people out there, even if they hate United, that don't like watching him play at the moment, it's a joy to watch.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Slightly off topic but, IMAGINE what the England team would be without him up front.

Much bigger issue. Take him, wrap him up in bubble wrap quickly.

With Rooney we are potentially World Cup winners, without him quarter finalist at best.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

With Rooney we are potentially World Cup winners, without him quarter finalist at best.

I still fear we are Quarters at best, but thats mainly due to our decimated back line.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I still fear we are Quarters at best, but thats mainly due to our decimated back line.

It might all come back together in time.

Rio - back in action.
Terry - still needs to find form.
Johnson - coming back to fitness now.
Cole - widely reckoned to be back in time.

We'll get to the semis and go out to Spain or Brazil, and that will do me just fine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really depends on when we meet either Spain or Brazil - the only two nations who are clearly better than England IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It really depends on when we meet either Spain or Brazil - the only two nations who are clearly better than England IMO.

Spot on. We have enough about us under Capello be confident against any other nation.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
MAn U have developed him - no doubt about it. Not least in a maturity sense where his development is far above that that would have occurred naturally or via Evertons developmental program.

Yeah cos that David Moyes has a shit track record with players :facepalm:

Sorry to pick on you, cos there are a fair few others trotting out this line.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

If we win our group and both Spain and Brazil win their group, we won't meet them until the final. Spain and Brazil would meet each other in the 'other' semi final.

EDIT Thats wrong, we would meet Brazil in the semis, with Spain in the final. Presuming we all win our groups.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Makes you worry that some foreigner playing in the premiership might be quietly tasked to nobble him in the remaining games. If United have still to play Everton - but I don't think they do - Landon Donovan might be one to steer clear of...:rolleyes:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we win our group and both Spain and Brazil win their group, we won't meet them until the final. Spain and Brazil would meet each other in the 'other' semi final.

Joyous news!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Rio - back in action.

Just means that once again we are in "fingers crossed" mode, sweating on injured players coming back, getting match fit, and not breaking down again. Not to mention the keeper situation.

Cor, what a ray of sunshine I am.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It can't hurt to play with the better players can it?

The idea that he's the best English player since WW2 is a joke though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ferguson seems to develop a determination and will to win and sense of responsibility to the team that people like Benitez and Wenger can't quite instil. I hate Man U and Fergie, but he can turn a player into something more than he is, and i'd say he makes Rooney far better than he would have been if he'd stayed loyally at the toffees.

Worldcupwise, Capello has that similar edge that can make those average players work harder than their bodies will allow, and maybe as a unit. I haven't much time for England stars, but the Caps could make any bunch of 11 play out of their skin.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Rio - back in action.

We'll get to the semis and go out to Spain or Brazil, and that will do me just fine.
sorry mellotron , ive come to appreciate some of your posts, but to be frank that attitude stinks, what the f*** is the point in turning up if going out in the semis will 'do you just fine', that outlook encapsulates just why we dont realise our potential and teams like the aussies scorn our shitty 'gallant losers' approach.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah cos that David Moyes has a shit track record with players :facepalm:

Sorry to pick on you, cos there are a fair few others trotting out this line.

I reckon Moyes it a pretty good manager, but are you seriously saying that Rooney would be at the level he is now - probably in the top 3 players in the world at this monet - if he had stayed at Everton ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here