Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney: Genius footballer or just another highly paid big time Charlie

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Both.

He's young enough to get through this bad spell and still be a genius.

Not sure if he's mentally strong enough though - time will tell.

Needs to sort out his petulance on the pitch too - he makes Murray look sensible. On Wednesday he should have been sent off twice (stamping and pushing someone in the face) - ITV barely mentioned it.

He really needs to grow up.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Runt. Wont sing our National Anthem. Thinks its beneath him.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
He seems to have gone backwards recently. He's not the carefree teenager who arrived a few years ago, hee seems to play with a weight on his shoulders these days- too much responsibility for club and country? Mabye the millionair lifestyle has quelled his desire a bit, who knows :shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Grossly overhyped. Reputation based on a few wonder goals many moons ago. Rather like Beckham, in that respect. Another "golden generation" failure. Has a long way to go if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Lineker, Shearer and a pre-injury Owen.

Maybe Mr Capello should announce that he is too twatish to play for England again?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good player, but not in the same league as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Villa, Torres etc, which was proven at the WC
+ he's a wanker.

? Torres proved what a good player he is at the WC, I must have missed that. Same for Ronaldo and even Messi didn't live up to expectations.

Is he? It's easy to throw labels like that around, but save for a promising Euro 2004, what's he actually done at the highest level to justify that kind of hype? He scores goals for United, but so did Andy Cole. Obviously he's got ability, but the best have the mental toughness to produce under pressure, which he seems incapable of doing.

Wasn't he the top scorer in European qualifying groups? Has got 25 goals for England and is only 24. He is a world class player but is on a bad run of international form. Any top club would want him in their team. However, that doesn't mean you have to like him as a person.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think he has lost touch with reality.

Which is a shame as a working class boy done good.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's too early to write him off, just as it was too early to hail him as a world great. It's a big season for the lad, that will help make people's minds up.

Unfortunately, while I don't think you should have to play brilliantly in a major tournament for people to see how good you are (there are probably 150 games for Rooney in between the World Cup and Euros for club and country), that seems to be the way of it in the media.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good player who is clearly going through a bad patch and has compounded the problem with his public profile by moaning at the supporters for daring to boo him.

Much much better than his current form suggests but no Lionel Messi either.

Runt. Wont sing our National Anthem. Thinks its beneath him.
Absurd thing to say. I wouldn't sing it either. It's complete durge, divisive. Nothing national about it at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think you are missing the option he is going through a purple patch. I think he was over played while carrying slight injuries last year, as ManU (and England) were rather overly dependent on him. its clear he didnt rest properly after the injury, up to which point he was having an excellent season.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good player, but not in the same league as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Villa, Torres etc, which was proven at the WC
+ he's a wanker.

Though you could argue that Torres had an utterly dire world cup therefore can't be in the same league either, while Messi and Ronaldo both failed to live up to admittedly high expectations.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Isn't the word "-sniffer" missing from the end of the thread title?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
:lolol:

LOL at the people calling him a twat/**** etc.

2 months ago he was a hero in waiting.

5 poor matches and suddenly...

Prat, it has very little to do with the fact he was shit, it's due to the fact he gobbed off to the people who have paid f*** loads of money to go and watch him play, do you think that's acceptable?

Last edited:

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Prat, it has very little to do with the fact he was shit, it's due to the fact he gobbed off to the people who have paid f*** loads of money to go and watch him play, do you think that's acceptable?

Course not.

Did he 'act' like a twat then? Yeah, utter gobshite. But, (and I know myself as I used to be the same) everyone makes stupid, pathetic mistakes such as that. I'm sure every single person on here has been as much of a twat, albeit in different situations.

I've called my father a **** on many occasions...I'd say that's worse. Doesn't stop me apologising and making up, and it doesn't make me a twat. It's just a heat of the moment situation. NOBODY'S PERFECT.

If he bangs them in at the next world cup, he'll be a hero once more!

P.S - It's a bit similar to the Glenn Murray (brentford) situation. One month he was a **** , never want to see him in an Albion shirt again, disrespectful wanker etc. This season - people want him to fire us up the leauge!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Right now Rooney is tarnished, just as Terry, Lampard, Barry and Ashley Cole are tarnished. I expect that in the coming months Rooney will regain his club form while Cappello will begin the cull of major stars, starting with Lampard, then possibly Terry. Things might look very different by Christmas.

Right now England still need Rooney, and while Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole and Barry ARE expendable I don't think Rooney is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here