Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney: Genius footballer or just another highly paid big time Charlie

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Right now Rooney is tarnished, just as Terry, Lampard, Barry and Ashley Cole are tarnished. I expect that in the coming months Rooney will regain his club form while Cappello will begin the cull of major stars, starting with Lampard, then possibly Terry. Things might look very different by Christmas.

Right now England still need Rooney, and while Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole and Barry ARE expendable I don't think Rooney is.

What I'm trying to say - just put in better words!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He doesn't look anything special to me. A decidedly average International player, who needs to realise that and start working on his game again. That doesn't mean tracking back and winning a tackle in the centre circle or chasing down a full back to block his clearance. That doesn't win us a game if it means we have no-one in teh middle when we need them.

Is he too big-headed to look at what Bobby did when he played up front on his own and think "ah, that's what leading the line and linking up play is all about."

For me, Rooney is not a lone striker, and just because he can do it for ManUre vs Bolton, Hull and Pompey doesn't mean he can do it in International football. The guy needs to get his head out from the clouds, and start working putting in performances, or accept he'll be starting games from the bench. Sulking isn't going to help.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems a bit harsh to criticise him for a build up England fans and the English press give him, unlike Mr Beckham he doesn't crave the media's attention but gets it simply because of his raw talent. He has just turned 24 for goodness sake, Lampard and Gerrard are 30 and should be at their peak both in terms of fitness and experience, and yet neither had any real impact in South Africa.

Rooney would treat a game with his mates in the park as seriously as any other, he throws a strop if Fergie takes him off when Utd are 4-0 up in a Carling Cup game. That is rear in the modern game.

Like many posters on here, they just lap up the media hype, then turn on the player. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns in a great season ala Beckham in '98/99 when he got all the stick for getting sent off....and then won a treble!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like all England players he's average at best on the world stage. To all those who want to argue, how many of these so called world class players have played abroad. If they were world class they would have played in Spain or Italy at some stage as foreign clubs would entice them away from the UK as happened with Ronaldo.

Rooney is an excellent Premier league player but nothing more.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Like all England players he's average at best on the world stage. To all those who want to argue, how many of these so called world class players have played abroad. If they were world class they would have played in Spain or Italy at some stage as foreign clubs would entice them away from the UK as happened with Ronaldo.

This.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Icy Gull, Rooney is 24, has probably 2 more world cups ahead of him to either prove or disprove your ridiculous theory.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
He is a class player, although I have never rated him as world class. He isn't up there with Drogba, Villa, Torres. Even after his good season last year I didn't rate him as world class. He is still young though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull, Rooney is 24, has probably 2 more world cups ahead of him to either prove or disprove your ridiculous theory.

This is true but if it was such a ridiculous theory pray explain why he looked like a complete DONKEY on the World Stage last month? Shouldn't Word Class players look just a little bit World Class at 24?

I doubt he'll still be playing football for more than one more world cup tbh

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
A clogger who is made to look good by the poor defences in the Premier League and the high class support in his team.

He'll be found out as he gets older and fatter.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is true but if it was such a ridiculous theory pray explain why he looked like a complete DONKEY on the World Stage last month? Shouldn't Word Class players look just a little bit World Class at 24?

I doubt he'll still be playing football for more than one more world cup tbh

What like Ronaldo and Torres maybe?

I'm not bothered regarding your opinion of Rooney, but to come up with some theory that no European club wants to sign him and Ronaldo went to Real and therefore he is not that great as some kind of argument, is frankly ridiculous.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What like Ronaldo and Torres maybe?

I'm not bothered regarding your opinion of Rooney, but to come up with some theory that no European club wants to sign him and Ronaldo went to Real and therefore he is not that great as some kind of argument, is frankly ridiculous.

That's not what I said, try reading what I wrote again.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Erm, it is pretty much exactly what you said...:thumbsup:

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Paul Gascoigne Mk II.... Lots of promise, never delivers. Massive ego, no sense. will disappear up his own inflated asshole a la Paul Gascoigne Mk I.

Stumpy Tim

When Rooney came on the scene he was brilliant as the link between a forward and the midfield... a Beardsley-type. Ferguson played him as a lone striker last season as a necessity, and in the long-term it might benefit his game. Personally I think he should play behind a striker - whether that's Zamora or someone else doesn't matter.

He would be excellent in a 4-2-3-1 as one of the 3, possibly with Wilshere & Johnson in the mid-term, though Gerrard in the short-term

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
He's a good player going through a bad spell for England not the first player to have that problem nor will he be the last

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here