Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wayne rooney elbow incident v wigan

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The FA are probably scared he will retire from Internationals early, so will be willing to treat him with kid gloves.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if he did.

This. Does f*** all unless he feels like it for club and country. Plus he's a scouser that asked a Crawley player for his Sun sponsored shirt! Bet that went down well in Liverpool! The gutless wonder has zero morals.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rooney seems to be a fairly repulsive character. I have no doubt that if he happened to be shit at football, then by now he'd be a coked-up thieving little ratboy with as many ASBO's as tattoos, and a charge sheet longer than one of his neanderthal knuckle-scraping arms.

He genuinely has no concept of how lucky he is.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The FA are probably scared he will retire from Internationals early, so will be willing to treat him with kid gloves.

Funny you should say that as I was thinking earlier that he has reached the untouchable level that Alan Shearer was once at, when he booted a Leicester player in the head, claimed it was accidental (may well of been) but threw down the threat to the FA that if they took any action against him he wouldn't go to the tournament with England that summer. Of course, the FA took no action against Alan.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This. Does f*** all unless he feels like it for club and country. Plus he's a scouser that asked a Crawley player for his Sun sponsored shirt! Bet that went down well in Liverpool! The gutless wonder has zero morals.

Is this a serious comment? They swap shirts at the end of the game. No doubt you would have slagged off his arrogance if he had refused to swap or shirt or should he wander aimlessly around looking for someone with something different on their shirt.

He should have got sent off but the FA can't do anything because that idiot Clattenburg said he had dealt with it. The FA's hands are tied by Fifa rules (not that I agree with fifa's rules).

D

Deleted member 2719

I know footballers aren't known for their brains but Rooney is a dumb f*cker.

Did he really feel it would get him anywhere, now he is public enemy no1 what a twat.

On a Saturday or Sunday lower league football you can get away with it, i had it done to me and done a bit myself, however to do it in front of thousands of spectators and tv camera's is unbelievably.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He should have got sent off but the FA can't do anything because that idiot Clattenburg said he had dealt with it. The FA's hands are tied by Fifa rules (not that I agree with fifa's rules).

Are they?

Flamini will escape with the yellow card awarded by hapless referee Stephane Lannoy because UEFA claim the official made a factual decision and they cannot undermine him. This is a lie.

Article 77 of FIFA’s disciplinary code states that its disciplinary committee has responsibility for rectifying obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions.

This, one presumes, includes occasions when a referee has meted out the same punishment for a vicious, potentially leg-breaking tackle that he would give for taking off a shirt to celebrate a goal. Indeed, Italy is one of the countries that has already tested this law by using video evidence to act when it was considered the referee erred.

Milos Krasic, of Juventus, was banned for two matches for diving in a Serie A game against Bologna, even though the match official had given a free-kick.

So it is a myth, this incapacity to act. More significantly, it is a dereliction of duty in club football’s most prestigious competition. Gattuso will be disciplined, no doubt, but his behaviour pales by comparison to Flamini’s.

Read more: Martin Samuel: Mathieu Flamini's assault brings shame on the Champions League | Mail Online

More on article 77...

But the FA are happy to overturn a red card (the sending-off stays on the player’s record but they 'adjust' the suspension to no ban) even though FIFA disciplinary statutes Article 18 (4) states: "An expulsion automatically incurs suspension from the next subsequent match."

Not with the Football Association it doesn't.

The FA are happy to ignore that rule yet hide behind a regulation that, unlike Article 18 (4) is not black and white. Article 77 (specific jurisdiction) states: The Disciplinary Committee is responsible for:
a) sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials' attention;
b) rectifying obvious errors in the referee's disciplinary decisions;
c) extending the duration of a match suspension incurred automatically by an expulsion (cf. art 18, par. 4);
d) pronouncing additional sanctions, such as a fine.

It is B that, in my view, opens the door to what most would see as a natural sense of justice. What is an "obvious error" is, of course, subjective but no more than a Regulatory Commission sitting in judgment on a claim for wrongful dismissal. If they can rule on that and overturn the referee's decision why can't they correct a wrongful NON-dismissal missed by the ref? Doesn't that come under "rectifying obvious errors?"

Football Writers' Association: Latest News :: Christoper Davies on retrospective punishment

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/50/02/75/disco_2009_en.pdf
page 44 of the pdf file or 42 of the document contains article 77 showing the essays quoted are still relevant.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is this a serious comment? They swap shirts at the end of the game. No doubt you would have slagged off his arrogance if he had refused to swap or shirt or should he wander aimlessly around looking for someone with something different on their shirt.

I was merely pointing out that anything Sun related as a scouser is supposed to be taboo in relation to the Hillsborough 96 in the footballing world. But as said he has no morals so that was probably the last thing on the thugs mind.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Rooney yet again comes across looking like a knob of the highest order, a totally uneccessary foul from a spectacularly petulant player. It's massively frustrating, as whatever moral high ground people take, and however crap he might have been at the world cup, on his day he is easily England's best player.

Clattenburg comes across a total bottle job, making exactly the sort of decision that we've come to expect from the fa over the years. If United's next games were at home against West Ham, Wolves and Stoke, I wonder if it would have been the same punishment. Doubt it. Exactly the same as the Gerrard decision last year.

Having said that, some people are desperate to slag him off after the world cup, which is getting embarrassing. It was cringeworthy enough watching people trying to claim his goal against Man City the other week was nothing but a lucky fluke, but someone who suggests he's a disgrace for swapping shirts with a Crawley player really needs to get a f***ing grip.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Also, the Australian Soccer League has begun "citing", in much the same way that Aussie Rules and Aussie Rugby League does. They have a panel that reviews video evidence, then dishes out a generally consistent level of punishment.

The result is less violent behaviour on the field of play. It really is very simple. I think the authorities are afraid to use video technology in almost any way possible because they fear it will open the floodgates (which is ludicrous).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here