Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wayne rooney elbow incident v wigan

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well done to the FA for not banning him, McCarthy made a deliberate attempt to body check Rooney and ultimately got his just rewards. Everyone just loves to jump on the 'I hate Man Utd' bandwagon, don't think there was an outcry when Gerrard elbowed Brown last year? Call me old-fashioned but I love this side of the game.

Are you having a laugh? It is a joke decision. Cannot believe Clattenburg watched that incident again and seriously thought he got it right. Players body check each other all the time, doesn't mean you can elbow someone in the face. It is as clear a red card as you will see and I seriously don't understand how anyone can like the side of the game where players elbow each other in the face.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
how anyone can like the side of the game where players elbow each other in the face.

I took that to mean liking the physical side of the game, which has been slowly getting eroded over the last 10-20 years to the point where it's barely a contact sport these days. BUT, surely that doesn't include elbows being thrown, and even if it does, that is a complaint of teh rules, to be made to the rulemakers. In the meantime, the rules should be applied as they stand, and that would have been a pretty clear red for young Rooney.

Well done to the FA for not banning him, McCarthy made a deliberate attempt to body check Rooney and ultimately got his just rewards. Everyone just loves to jump on the 'I hate Man Utd' bandwagon, don't think there was an outcry when Gerrard elbowed Brown last year? Call me old-fashioned but I love this side of the game.

I'm pretty much apathetic when it comes to all things premiership, i just don't give a f***.

But to try and defend Rooney for this deliberate elbow in the face by saying he was bodychecked is possibly the most bizarre thing i have ever read on here. And there is alot of bizzare shit on here.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, Blue and White Army is COMPLETELY right.

McCarthy DEFINITELY deserves to be ELBOWED in the HEAD because he had the CHEEK to step to the side and try and not allow an opponent to gain an advantage.

He should have stood still and let Sir Wayne get to the ball like a good boy. He's lucky he only got away with a thump in the head for his bloody CHEEK.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I took that to mean liking the physical side of the game, which has been slowly getting eroded over the last 10-20 years to the point where it's barely a contact sport these days. BUT, surely that doesn't include elbows being thrown, and even if it does, that is a complaint of teh rules, to be made to the rulemakers. In the meantime, the rules should be applied as they stand, and that would have been a pretty clear red for young Rooney.

I realise he meant the physical side of the game but he was defending a blatant elbow so I kind of took it at face value. I just can't see how you can defend it, as you say. It is bad enough he got away with it during the game and went on to setup two goals and socre one but when we have clear video evidence of the incident it is ludicrous that FA rules allow him to get away without any ban at all.

No, Blue and White Army is COMPLETELY right.

McCarthy DEFINITELY deserves to be ELBOWED in the HEAD because he had the CHEEK to step to the side and try and not allow an opponent to gain an advantage.

He should have stood still and let Sir Wayne get to the ball like a good boy. He's lucky he only got away with a thump in the head for his bloody CHEEK.

I stand corrected.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Surelt it is Clattenburg who has bottled it? he had the power to say that he got it wrong and in hindsight it was a red.

Correct. It was a difficult one as he did 'see' the incident and awarded the free-kick, which made it different even to the Ben Thatcher case when the ref couldn't see the elbow. What he would have had to do was either say 'I thought Rooney just ran into him, but didn't see the elbow, If I had he'd have been off' (easy enough) or the more difficult admission of 'I clearly saw the little c**t elbow him, but I thought what the hell, it's Man Utd, and Fergie will hate me, so I'll let him off' (unlikely).

If Clattenburg had been prepared to eat a bit of humble pie and lose some face to put things right, he could have. By not doing that he has made a mockery of the whole thing, and this example will be used by other players/clubs to defend themselves for years.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rooney must think he's invincible.

He says he's pissed off at Man Utd, then gets a whopping pay rise. He shags around but his missus takes him back - again. He has a mediocre season then scores a wondergoal and everybody's kissing his butt, he then assaults another player from behind his back and his own manager goes out on a limb to defend him. Even the ref and the FA are too timid to act.

It's getting to the stage where what is the point of supporting England with Grade A ***** like him and Cashley supposedly being our best players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
McCarthy changes direction toward Rooney and if you watch carefully aims his elbow into Rooney's mid drift, Rooney sees this coming and aims a forearm across McCarthy's face (it was a straight arm rather than the point of the elbow; if it had been McCarthy's face would be in pieces, as it is he didn't even have a bruise!). Rooney should have seen red, McCarthy probably yellow. Didn't think there was too much to it to be honest, McCarthy was fine, both players got on with it, no further problems between them in the game.

A lot of hysterical hyperbole on here as usual.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Rooney must think he's invincible.

He says he's pissed off at Man Utd, then gets a whopping pay rise. He shags around but his missus takes him back - again. He has a mediocre season then scores a wondergoal and everybody's kissing his butt, he then assaults another player from behind his back and his own manager goes out on a limb to defend him. Even the ref and the FA are too timid to act.

It's getting to the stage where what is the point of supporting England with Grade A ***** like him and Cashley supposedly being our best players.

This.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some comical comments on here as usual. It was a straight red but Clattenburg has, as aluded to earlier, bottled it. He probably weighed up the options of either saying he saw it and dealt with it or saying he didn't see it and explaining why he gave a free kick. If he saw it then he could have given the free kick to Rooney for the original body check. Fact is he didn't see it. That being the case, he has a mic, he could have checked with his assistants and the fourth official. He may have done but if he did, then all four got it wrong. Let's not forget Clattenburg has a high opinion of himself and has made numerous errors in the past, most notably during the mersey derby a few years back. He also got into problems with his businesses running up debts. Remains to be seen whether the fa will take action against him.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The difference is who did the dirty deed and who does he play for.
An England international will get away with it.
A player from one of the big four will get away with it.

Any other fucker would get a red card and be on a charge of misconduct by the FA

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The FA are a joke. Gattuso headbutts Spurs Assistant manager, and gets banned for Four games by UEFA. Wayne Rooney elbows Mccarthy with seven minutes on the clock and no action is taken. I think Wigan should take this further, because it was a blantant assault by a complete and utter wanker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here