Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Little passion? He put his everything into every match for us last season. I still remember the 60 yard run in the 90th minute from THEIR box to OUR box to tackle an opponent when we were 2 goals ahead. The man oozes class and is a complete professional to boot, I don't see how he has 'little passion'.
100 % correct

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Pretty much what I was going to say. He was magnificent for us and gave it everything, every game. He is easily the best left back to play for us in the last 30 years. Comfortably. Stephen Ward is mr average, which is no criticism, and I would be happy with signing him permanently. But Bridge is a better player.

Mr Average, but that said, he's probably the 2nd best left back to have played for us in the last 30 years. Make no mistake, Ward is a bloody good player, not quite as good as Bridge agreed, but still bloody good by our standards. And given their respective fitness levels and recent injury records, I'd go for Ward every time right now.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
This. Bridge reminds me of a player with immense quality, but little passion for the game.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd genuinely prefer to have Ward.

Yes I do too, he wears his heart on his sleeve and you feel he is a club player. A few make that grade, some never do. It has little to do with skill, but more with passion and commitment. I thought we'd miss Bridge, but not so, and it was good the club wasn't held to ransom. Though I do wish we'd stumped up a bit more for Conway (impressing Blackburn fans) if money was indeed the issue, as it usually is. Glad we never paid daft money for Grabban also, I doubt he's as good as we have already.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
You really believed he only moved for money? A Premier League squad, a stadium which attracts a decent audience and a manager who has been promoted automatically before. On paper they were set up for a crack at promotion, I don't begrudge him for moving, he just wanted one last high before he retires.

He went for the cash, and nothing else.
I'm glad it backfired on him.

We gave him his football life back, and he could have helped us into the Premiership.

He do like the money though!!!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
We dodged a bullet by missing out on Bridge this season judging by his performances (or non performances) for Reading. Ward has done the proverbial 'job' for us this season, especially in the second half.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He already had money.

Last season he said he was enjoying his football.

Bet he didn't say the same this season...

I reckon his enjoyment came from playing for Gus, who he had great admiration for.

Perhaps Adkins doesn't do it for him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no need to rewrite history. Bridge was excellent and reliable for us, he had more quality than Ward but Ward has a knack of scoring key goals. You're talking about two very good full-backs here.

I was surprised that Bridge agreed to join Reading on a one-year deal - a waste of time for all concerned.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
There's no need to rewrite history. Bridge was excellent and reliable for us, he had more quality than Ward but Ward has a knack of scoring key goals. You're talking about two very good full-backs here.

I was surprised that Bridge agreed to join Reading on a one-year deal - a waste of time for all concerned.
He knew what he was doing $$$

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
People slating Bridge are idiotic. The club was a mess when contracts become an issue with Bridge. I think he would have stayed for Gus. Ward has done very well the second half of the season. But he cant cross doesn't get forward as well as bridge did and is not as good at defending either. However ward shows a lot of passion and has been decent this season which will go a long way with some people.

I agree with all of that, apart from the 'he can't cross' bit. He can cross, had 3 assists this year. Joint 3rd I think I read somewhere.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think the main reason he left was the uncertainty around our manager and not so much to do with money. He was a great player but we haven't missed him at all.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He hasn't, really. Last season Bridge played 42 games for us, this season Ward has played 45 times. A difference of three, not exactly a major difference.

Sorry, should have been more specific. In the league (the important bit!) Bridge played 37 times for us and Ward has played 45.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Everyone slating Bridge for leaving us "for a few extra quid", and questioning his ability and commitment, have very short memories.

When his contract expired and he joined Reading, we were in absolute turmoil. We had no manager and were definitely not in a position to sit down and talk to him regarding a new deal. Even if we had done, he wouldn't have known who the manager was going to be or what shape the club would be in going into this season.

Alternatively, Reading had close to the most money in the league, an excellent squad and a decent stadium. I would have backed them, Forest and QPR to fight for automatic at the start of the season.

I was gutted when he signed for Reading, but it was no surprise due to the shambles going on at the Albion at the time.

He was the best left back we have ever had - it was a privilege to watch him play every week.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To summarize

-Both were/have been very committed for us (which is admirable for loan players)
-Bridge is clearly a more able player but the gulf in class people predicted isn't that vast
-Bridge will be on 3/4x the wages we could afford to offer and hasn't even played half of Reading's games this season

In conclusion, Ward has been by far the better signing as he's been better value for money and played in almost all our games. I hope we manage to sign him permanently as he's only 28 but I can't imagine a manager like Jackett will let him go easily.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree with all of that, apart from the 'he can't cross' bit. He can cross, had 3 assists this year. Joint 3rd I think I read somewhere.

He has put in a few brilliant ones but also a lot of very poor ones, perhaps suggesting that the quality ones were flukes more than anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here