Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never going to stay after the shitfest at the end of last season, he was definitely a Poyet player IMO. I imagine he would have stayed if Gus had. Ward has been a revelation, never thought we would find anyone to replace Bridge, Ward has, even if he is not quite as classy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Turned out for Reading only 11 times this season.
Great for us last season but I think we dodged a bullet this year and Ward has been a great asset.

I think if Bridge had stayed he wouldn't have got injured so much. Sounds weird I know but if u think about it perfectly plausible....

Had Gus not gone Bridge would have prob signed permanently - Gus was a massive reason for him being here last season...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Has Ward scored as many goals as Bridge last season? May be wrong but all of them seem to be crucial and generally game changing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has Ward scored as many goals as Bridge last season? May be wrong but all of them seem to be crucial and generally game changing.

Bridge
second v Barnsley (5-1)
first v Wednesday (3-0)
third v Ipswich (3-0)

Ward
Only goal v Bournemouth (1-1)
second v QPR (2-0)
first v Leicester (4-1)
first v Forest (2-1)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bridge
second v Barnsley (5-1)
first v Wednesday (3-0)
third v Ipswich (3-0)

Ward
Only goal v Bournemouth (1-1)
second v QPR (2-0)
first v Leicester (4-1)
first v Forest (2-1)

Thanks, as I thought all Ward's goals have been crucial for us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pretty much what I was going to say. He was magnificent for us and gave it everything, every game. He is easily the best left back to play for us in the last 30 years. Comfortably. Stephen Ward is mr average, which is no criticism, and I would be happy with signing him permanently. But Bridge is a better player.

Agree with this. Ward has been very good for us this season, and I have nothing against him at all, but if Wayne Bridge wanted to come back to us next season (and stay within our wage structure) it would be a no-brainer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree with this. Ward has been very good for us this season, and I have nothing against him at all, but if Wayne Bridge wanted to come back to us next season (and stay within our wage structure) it would be a no-brainer.

He has just spent most of the season on the treatment room. It is far from a no brainer.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Feel sorry for him

He was great for us but left to join Reading

We don't miss Bridge due to Ward's form and he hardly played for Reading

And then yesterday's results came in....

Anyone know how long a contract he signed with Reading?

Wayne who?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

And Ward has played quite a few more games for us than Bridge did.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People slating Bridge are idiotic. The club was a mess when contracts become an issue with Bridge. I think he would have stayed for Gus. Ward has done very well the second half of the season. But he cant cross doesn't get forward as well as bridge did and is not as good at defending either. However ward shows a lot of passion and has been decent this season which will go a long way with some people.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And Ward has played quite a few more games for us than Bridge did.

He hasn't, really. Last season Bridge played 42 games for us, this season Ward has played 45 times. A difference of three, not exactly a major difference.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In our top 11 of all time, a crying shame that he started enjoying his football again & then pathetically thought moving his wealth from £10m to £11m rather than £10.8m was a good idea. Shameful decision

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He made his choice and on his head, or weak legs, be it. He was stunning for us and for the first time in an age came back to life as a footballer. It's obviously not happened at Reading for him, so i would think he misses the buzz with us more than we miss him, even with his pockets slightly more filled than we could make them.

Dec 29, 2011
In our top 11 of all time, a crying shame that he started enjoying his football again & then pathetically thought moving his wealth from £10m to £11m rather than £10.8m was a good idea. Shameful decision

You really believed he only moved for money? A Premier League squad, a stadium which attracts a decent audience and a manager who has been promoted automatically before. On paper they were set up for a crack at promotion, I don't begrudge him for moving, he just wanted one last high before he retires.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here