Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think people who are saying this is down to no manager are missing out on the cash Reading have to wave around.

I think it's a bit of both to be honest. It's true that we probably can't match Reading's offer for him salary wise, but as previous posters have said, was it just about money?, Wayne Bridge was already earning an awful lot of money anyway, had been with us for a season, publically stated that he loved the Club, l wonder if we even made any attempt to sign him?. It doesn't stop with Bridgey either, l wonder who we are set to miss out on next?. This is the thin end of the wedge.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I remember when we signed him I was chuffed, but my excitement was tempered by a concern as to his attitude and how much we'd actually get out of him, what with him not having played for so long and dropping down to the second division for the first time. All those fears were blown away by the sheer quality and consistancy of his performances though. His pace and energy, his positional sense, his poise, control, crossing, the timing of his overlaps, his strength on the ball and ability to power past players, and just the simple, assured, error-free reliability he brought to his position. An absolute class act who we are going to miss immensely. I doubt we'll see a better leftback at the club.

I'm gutted.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. A pleasure to watch.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
I remember when we signed him I was chuffed, but my excitement was tempered by a concern as to his attitude and how much we'd actually get out of him, what with him not having played for so long and dropping down to the second division for the first time. All those fears were blown away by the sheer quality and consistancy of his performances though. His pace and energy, his positional sense, his poise, control, crossing, the timing of his overlaps, his strength on the ball and ability to power past players, and just the simple, assured, error-free reliability he brought to his position. An absolute class act who we are going to miss immensely. I doubt we'll see a better leftback at the club.

I'm gutted.

Has he definitely signed for Reading?? I'm hearing that he is still interested in staying with us, the factor in his interest being Poyet. Poyet stays, Bridge comes to us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Has he definitely signed for Reading?? I'm hearing that he is still interested in staying with us, the factor in his interest being Poyet. Poyet stays, Bridge comes to us.

Said in the Sun :lolol: today that he HAD signed a 1 year deal with Reading.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A club with a manager. Good decision.

A) Albion with or without whinging Poyet offer £15k per week, hamstrung by £8m losses and MANDATORY FL FFP rules.

B) Reading with Parachute money (reward for failure), offer £30k per week.

Without a lifelong passion for either club, Bridge would obviously pick the latter. £££££ and nowt to do with Poyet.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Who's telling you that, Bridge, Poyet or TB?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I agree that I doubt we could ahve afforded him but please someone..... name me a club in the last five years that have signed players when they dont have a confirmed manager in place..

Man City have just signed Fernandinho haven't they?

Bridge was an absolute class left back, but we stood very little chance of getting him again because of wages. A Prem club or relegated Prem club was always going to be most likely, or even the MLS. As Easy 10 says, we won't get his quality in again this year which is a shame.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
What a barsteward.

Good player though. We just couldn't afford him to be fair. Plus we are in complete CHAOS with regards to the team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My saints supporting mate said last season that he is glad Bridge was doing so well for us as an ex saint, he said he would have lots of respect for him if he meant what he had said about enjoying his football and being at Brighton and that is what is important to him now, and he hoped he stayed with us, today he said maybe he got it wrong and that maybe it's about the money again now that the man city payday has gone lol! How true that could be. Shame

True. The fan next to me in WSU said midway through the season that Bridge had let it be known he wasn't interested in money anymore, as he'd made his fortune. Was at his happiest in years, and playing every week.

Now he can achieve the same, on double our money offer.

Money does rule in football.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Bridge to sign for the Royals

PUBLISHED
10:29 7th June 2013
England international agrees one-year contract

Reading Football Club are delighted to announce that highly sought after left-back Wayne Bridge is to sign for the Royals.

The vastly experienced former Southampton, Chelsea and Manchester City defender has agreed on a one-year contract at Madejski Stadium and becomes Nigel Adkins’ first signing as Royals boss.

“I’m delighted to be signing for Reading and excited to be joining a team that is going to be looking for promotion next season,” Bridge said.

“I spoke to the manager and he told me about the direction he wants the team to go in. Everything we talked about was positive - and he was really positive about signing me which means a lot.

“And, from the outside, Reading look like a team who are capable of getting back into the Premier League, a team that works hard for each other. That is something I want to be a part of and I’m really looking forward to next season.”

Bridge joins the club with more than 300 Premier League appearances and 36 England caps to his name. During six successful years at Chelsea, he won all three domestic trophies whilst, on the international scene, he featured in two World Cup squads and went to one European Championships tournament with Sven-Göran Eriksson’s England.

The 32-year-old full back spent last season on loan from Manchester City, making 42 starts for Gus Poyet’s Brighton - achieving a play-off place with the Seagulls as well as the left-back position in the Football League Championship Team of the Year 2012/13.

Director of Football Nick Hammond said, “I’m delighted to have secured this agreement so early in the summer window. Both Wayne and his representatives have been very straightforward and professional to deal with and the player will add great experience and quality to our squad.”

Wayne is due to meet up with his new Royals teammates for the first time when the squad return for pre-season training at the end of this month.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/art...royals-070613-857575.aspx#dH322p8AxdutKED5.99

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here