Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the radio it said Bridge had commented "It's nice to be signing for a club that is looking to get promoted this season". Maybe I took it the wrong way, but I couldn't help feeling doubly disappointed at hearing that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Wayne was brilliant for us most of the season and a joy to watch, but he's form did tail off in the later stages so might not be as bigger loss as most people think.

Agreed, early season I was amazed at his pace and how he combined quality defending with tormenting the opposition rightback- later in the season I really didn't notice him much, he became more and more anonymous (he also totally lost Zaha for the first :angry:).

Would of course have still loved him to stay!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the radio it said Bridge had commented "It's nice to be signing for a club that is looking to get promoted this season". Maybe I took it the wrong way, but I couldn't help feeling doubly disappointed at hearing that.

Fairly standard soundbite, I'm sure it wasn't intended as a barb at BHAFC.

And @Coldeanseagull, we will indeed find someone else. But if he's half the player Wayne Bridge is, we'll have done bloody well.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I've made this as my way of saying thanks. Feel free to use it as your desktop background or put it up in your workplace.

ilovewayne.jpg

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He was never going to sign for us this season was he?

I think we should just enjoy the fact that for a season we had a player who earned £80,000 more than we paid him. And he was good.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be expected , we would have been able to offer him more money if we had been promoted. Reading can afford to sign a player for £20k+ a week and when they don't go up can try the same with another player the following season. With a baby on the way why would he stay here on half the money he could get elsewhere considering his age ?

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because he is already a multi-millonaire?

But if his friend, allie, is on the way out, and feels he has been shafted, then back to earning more money it is.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I'd like to know how hard we tried to re-sign him. I would have preferred him to join a Prem club, as Reading are loking in good shape for an automatic promotion spot. I think this move just confirms the budgetary constraints we are operating under as compared to the clubs with parachute payments.

I think we need the likes of JFC and Maksimenko to break through to save on wages.

On the plus side all is turmoil at QPR. We just need Wigan to be asset-stripped now.

To be fair I hope Gus does go. What is the point of having a development squad when you don't play the best players in it when required. JFC and Toby showed promise and were immediately dropped hardly to be seen again. If Gus is here next season their chances will be limited again. Nobody knows if they will be good enough, but given a decent chance we may not be quite so worried about replacement players within the squad.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Reading will be favourites. Adkins is an excllent manager regardless of his bellendry in League One. I would take him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair I hope Gus does go. What is the point of having a development squad when you don't play the best players in it when required. JFC and Toby showed promise and were immediately dropped hardly to be seen again. If Gus is here next season their chances will be limited again. Nobody knows if they will be good enough, but given a decent chance we may not be quite so worried about replacement players within the squad.

zzzz boring. Is JFC better than Orlandi, Lopez, Hammond? Probably not at the moment.

Toby has tailed off big time, with Barker, even with legal issues, doing the business a lot more.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I know not everyone is going to believe me but I don't care as it's the same lot as normal, but...

Bridge was going to sign for us before all the shit with Gus and Oatway happened.

Thanks Barber :)
There was another deals Paul Barber ****ed up.

Not many know this, but at the end of last season, Gus and Tanno had managed to talk Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney into signing for us.

Frank was a free transfer on £5k a week, and they had agreed a fee of £1million for Wayne Rooney on a 5 year contract, worth £6 grand a week and a subscription to Teletubbies Weekly (they were even going to deliver it to his front door every week)

Paul Barber got news of this and pulled the plug on both deals.

Just to upset Gus.....

shocking really

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

You talk as if he was destined to be Premier League-bound. He's joined Reading on a 1-year deal FFS. For a bloke who is 33 in 2 months time even if they get promoted at the first attempt he'll be out of contract and unlikely to get to play in the Prem in 2014/15. They've bought him to get them up and nothing more.

We finished 4th and over the second half of the season our form was that of automatic promotion. They have parachute payments, are relatively well-managed financially and so can pay him the salary he wants which is clearly a lot more than we feel we can offer. "We" being Barber.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

I think we should just enjoy the fact that for a season we had a player who earned £80,000 more than we paid him. And he was good.
Exactly.

Will we get a left back better than Wayne Bridge for next season. Hope so, but doubt it. He was the best left back I've seen play for us.

Should you break the bank for a 33 year old left back who just started to show signs of niggling injuries last season. **** NO!!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The silver cloud is the fact that harry won't be coming here :)

Problem with not reading the full post.....
Unless arry goes to reading :blush:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here