Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge...

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
Strange thing to say. Reading are remarkably similar to Brighton in many ways, except they most likely have a superior budget for players and of course have had eminently more success on the pitch than Brighton for at least the last decade or so.

I'm not sure why some people define us as a 'nothing club', as I'm sure Bridge wouldn't have joined a 'nothing club'. You can talk about wages all you want, but I'm sure various clubs in Russia and America would offer him good money, doesn't make it a good career move. I wouldn't call it a sideways move, despite the two of us likely to be there or thereabouts next season. Out of all the clubs that went down, we are certainly the most stable in terms of management, finances and players.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
One last big payday....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It looks very much like our scouting system is working well for Adkins again so perhaps we should look at a player they have released as left back Nickey Shorey who is 32 years old and would possibly be a stop gap until hopefully Maksimenko is ready. This must be better than having Calderon or somebody else playing out of position.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Again this disrespect for clubs like Wigan, Fulham and Reading who have achieved what we dream of, makes us sound like Leeds United when we waffle on about what a big club we are. Bridge was an absolute star for us last season and it would have been brilliant if he had stayed but financially it was never going to happen. At least he didn't sign for Palace that would be too devastating!

I'm not sure why some people define us as a 'nothing club', as I'm sure Bridge wouldn't have joined a 'nothing club'. You can talk about wages all you want, but I'm sure various clubs in Russia and America would offer him good money, doesn't make it a good career move. I wouldn't call it a sideways move, despite the two of us likely to be there or thereabouts next season. Out of all the clubs that went down, we are certainly the most stable in terms of management, finances and players.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Nadgerflaps. Prefer him at Reading to QPR though.
Reinstates the horrible feelings of uncertainty though as the media of even a piddling size can not now ask our manager why we couldn't get him, clearing the air a tad and insisting another world class left back is on our radar. I'll miss the Bridgster. An amazing player. Best of luck to him though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread reminds me of the outpouring of guttedness when Mattock chose Wed :lol:.

That didn't work out too bad, in the end.

Admittedly the club has got to go some if it's playing left back Top Trumps, but we should wait and see before judging the decision.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great player. Bit injury prone though. Disappointed he went to Reading, thought he would have been back in the Premier League.

Money talks I would suggest.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Possibly you are, but the Russian investment didn't save you last season. It was a strange move to get rid of McDermott so I'm not sure that indicates any great stability. In addition to this, the fact that nobody seems to be beating down your door for your better players (so far!) surely tells its own story.....

Bridge however, is a good signing for you, but for him, I would agree its a sideways move at best.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Can see nothing about this on Reading sites or the BBC are we sure it has Amy substance

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Harrumph!

That's it Wayne, Frankie is off my Twitter feed for good now, see how you like that when she blames you for it!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

He's a palace troll mate - not Albion. Best ignored and he should nt be posting on this thread...

I agree a sideways move but with more money included which would 've helped. Plus we have no manager as such at no.

One thing is certain though. You now have the best left back in the lg. A great player and professional. Although he may deteriorate in the next few yrs due to age...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here